Close
Advertise Here
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

4 members found this post helpful.

Bits of random OUYA trivia you may or may not know

- The OUYA supports PS3 controllers over Bluetooth - not using any special apps, but natively. On the controller pairing screen, plug your PS3 controller in via USB, it gets paired up, and then you can use it wirelessly to control the OUYA interface. Many games support PS3 controllers, but not all, since the button codes have to be programmed into the games.

- When you press the power button normally to shut the OUYA off, it goes into a "sleep" mode, so has instant power-on afterwards. And can be turned on by the controller (if powered off that way). Also, just turning on your TV to the OUYA input will wake it up.

- The OUYA motherboard is more secure against getting too much power than the OUYA fan - so if you plug in a power supply with too much voltage, the fan will be the first thing to die.

- The controller faceplates are held on by a bunch of small magnets

- The OUYA only officially supports 1080p and 720p, whichever is the higher resolution that your TV can accept. If your TV can't tell the OUYA that it accepts either one, you end up with an ugly very low resolution.

- The standard OUYA Kickstarter shipping box holds one OUYA and one controller - if you ordered extra controllers, chances are your shipment will be sent later because of that (but it won't wait until after the normal packages are sent, it's not that bad of a delay).

- Julie Uhrman used to work at IGN, specifically at their Direct 2 Drive digital game download service, and the very first person to invest in the company was the president of IGN, who is now chairman of the board. So expect a lot of OUYA coverage on IGN in the coming days, and IGN was the first site to break news about the OUYA.

- A lot of the early "Angel" investors were knowledgeable about creating and shipping hardware products, and included Ed Fries, one of the two people who started the XBox project at Microsoft.

- The only real hardware difference between an OUYA and an Asus Transformer TF700 is the touchscreen on the TF700.

- The final OUYA has two ports that weren't originally planned: Ethernet and the micro-USB port. Micro-USB was added to make it easier to develop, originally the OUYA developers had to open the case to hook up a wire directly to the motherboard (this was before the official dev kits), and Ethernet was something people were demanding from day one in the Kickstarter comments.

- Julie Uhrman likes to talk about how the O-U-Y-A letters on the buttons were a result of listening to developers talking about colorblindness, and while it's true that the Kickstarter controller renders showed just colored circles for the controller buttons, and developers did bring that issue up, you can see right from the first Kickstarter video that the letters were already planned - the early mockups of the OUYA interface show those buttons doing actions (O for launch, U for details, Y for search).

- OUYA has a web browser built-in (just the standard Android browser)

- The OUYA console has a weight in the bottom of it making the system heavier, to keep it from flopping over when cables are attached, and the final consoles have a heavier weight than the dev consoles.

- The controller analogue stick nubs can be just pulled off and replaced with other ones, not even a screwdriver required - PS3 sticks fit perfectly (but it's a lot harder to remove a PS3 stick from a PS3 controller).

- On the final OUYA controllers, holding down the Home button for a bit will return you to the OUYA system menu, and tapping it once will bring up in-game menus. But the hardware in the development controllers is unable to detect being held down - pressing it results in an instant press and release message regardless of how long you hold it down. Specifically because of this, they made it so you can also double-tap the Home button to return to the OUYA system menu, so that developers could test that functionality in their games.

- The man who was sent to Taiwan to work with the manufacturers to fix the d-pad on final units, was given orders not to return until he could win at a certain level in Street Fighter using the d-pad

- The OUYA supports stereoscopic 3D on 3DTV's, for any game programmed for it.
    Last edited by Dreamzle; 04-03-2013 at 06:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamzle View Post
    The man who was sent to Taiwan to work with the manufacturers to fix the d-pad on final units, was given orders not to return until he could win at a certain level in Street Fighter using the d-pad
    I just simply loved your entire post! Thanks a lot for taking the time to write it all down.

Especially the quoted part is simply hilarious. I laughed out loud when I read it. Luckily, there was nobody in the room to look at me with the famous "what are you laughing at - you must be crazy"-eyes
    OUYAGameplays on YouTube: youtube.com/OUYAGameplays
    Twitter Profile: twitter.com/ouyagameplays

Couple of things I didn't know. Great post.

Really informative post,some of this information belongs in a FAQ or something similar. Thanks for the post!

Awesome post! Thank you for sharing.

Awesome post. Totally amazing. I didn't even know 70% of that stuff
    Be sure to follow OUYAForum.com on Facebook, Twitter, Google+ & LinkedIn

Very cool post! I didn't know most of those items, especially about the PS3 controllers. Now I'll be able to play four players on supported games without having to purchase two more OUYA controllers!

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamzle View Post
    - The OUYA supports PS3 controllers over Bluetooth - not using any special apps, but natively. On the controller pairing screen, plug your PS3 controller in via USB, it gets paired up, and then you can use it wirelessly to control the OUYA interface. Many games support PS3 controllers, but not all, since the button codes have to be programmed into the games.

Well that´s nice, taking into account, that the PS3 controller is commonly known as the worst Sony has ever developed.
    :: I love it when a plan comes together ::

Im asuming street fighter was played on an emulator, wonder if they got the rom leagley.. I guess its ok if they deleated in 48 hours haha..

I'm glad the Ouya is similar to my TF700 because it's a beast. I use it as a console right now basically. I put all the games I want on their. The benefit of the Transformer Infinity though, is the fact it has 32 Gb of storage. The benefit to the Ouya is the that it is actively cooled. I notice that my Transformer Infinity gets hot and I wish their was a way to cool it when I am playing an in depth graphic intense game.