Close
Advertise Here
Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

MAME4droid DIY artwork

Hi

I only recently got my OUYA and am having a blast with MAME4droid! I found Mr Do's excellent artwork repository (backgrounds/bezels/overlays) but was a surprised to see there wasn't any artwork for Pac-Man, so decided to make my own (actually, I later realized the Pac-Man artwork was stored under Puck-Man).

Anyhoo, I decided to carry on making my own artwork that also utilises the extra screen space of a widescreen TV display. It mocks up a view of playing the games in an actual arcade cabinet, complete with shading, shadows, and screen reflection that covers a bottom section of the game screen. All to make it as realistic as possible. The reflection really doesn't distract when playing games, and I think adds an extra layer of realism. What do you think?

If you would like to try them yourself, you can download them below. Let me know what you think!

Usage notes:
    * Download and unzip the individual artwork files into your MAME4droid artwork folder.
    * All artwork now has three versions:
    - Full artwork
    - Artwork without screen reflection
    - Artwork without screen reflection and artwork shading
    These can be selected from the in-game MAME menu, under 'Video Options'.
    * The black screen bezel is displayed separately as a backdrop layer. I did this because it displays more cleanly this way, and you can turn it off/on independently in the 'Video Options' menu.

big10p MAME cab artwork pack 1 contains the following artwork:

big10p MAME cab artwork pack 2 contains the following artwork:

big10p MAME cab artwork pack 3 contains the following artwork:

big10p MAME cab artwork pack 4 contains the following artwork:

big10p MAME cab artwork pack 5 contains the following artwork:

big10p MAME cab artwork pack 6 contains the following artwork:

big10p MAME cab artwork pack 7 contains the following artwork:

big10p MAME cab artwork pack 8 contains the following artwork:

big10p MAME cab artwork pack 9 contains the following artwork:

big10p MAME cab artwork pack 10 contains the following artwork:

big10p MAME cab artwork pack 11 contains the following artwork:

big10p MAME cab artwork pack 12 contains the following artwork:

If you would like to have a go at creating your own artwork for your favourite games, I have made a template for both horizontal and vertical games (non-shaded). Click here to download them.

[updated on June 27, 2014]

Pack 12 now available for download.
    Last edited by big10p; 02-07-2014 at 11:08 AM.

Space Cadet Pirate Moderator flamepanther's Avatar

I think those look fantastic! I haven't started using MAME on my OUYA yet, but I plan on it at some point, and these really look like they make the experience more authentic. I think that I would probably prefer versions without the slight glare/reflection effect in front of the screen, but it does look classy.

Quote Originally Posted by flamepanther View Post
    I think those look fantastic! I haven't started using MAME on my OUYA yet, but I plan on it at some point, and these really look like they make the experience more authentic. I think that I would probably prefer versions without the slight glare/reflection effect in front of the screen, but it does look classy.
    Thanks! That would be no problem as all the elements that comprise the image are on separate Photoshop layers. 1 click and I can turn off the reflection.

I will probably provide both versions in the artwork zip, and then you can turn the reflections on/off from the in-game MAME menu, via 'video options'.

Hi, thanks they look good, any chance of them being in a higher resolution? Look a bit jagged on the edges.

Quote Originally Posted by AmigaJay View Post
    Hi, thanks they look good, any chance of them being in a higher resolution? Look a bit jagged on the edges.
    The images are at the full 1080p resolution (1920x1080). However, I think MAME4droid displays games at a lower res. I think it also only uses a 16bit colour depth - this is the main reason some of the shading doesn't look that great (looks really smooth on my PC's 32bit display). I'm hoping seleuco will be able to add an option to run games at a higher colour depth and resolution with a future update to MAME4droid (fingers crossed!), but I don't know how possible that would be.

In the meantime, you can lessen the effect by turning on the scanlines overlay, in MAME4droid.

Yeah i have scanlines on, thanks for letting me know about the colour depth etc
    What it be possible to have plain overlays like above without the pacman stuff, but come up automatically on any game, obviously a horizontal and vertical version would be needed, any ideas if this is possible?

Yeah i have scanlines on, thanks for letting me know about the colour depth etc
    What it be possible to have plain overlays like above without the pacman stuff, but come up automatically on any game, obviously a horizontal and vertical version would be needed, any ideas if this is possible?
    I've seen other people ask about this, but as far as I know it isn't currently possible in MAME. It would be useful. The only way of doing it now, is to create an individual artwork zip for every game!

Quote Originally Posted by big10p View Post
    I've seen other people ask about this, but as far as I know it isn't currently possible in MAME. It would be useful. The only way of doing it now, is to create an individual artwork zip for every game!
    Yeah i thought of that!, though by the time you done that you might as well dl the artwork packs!

Yeah i thought of that!, though by the time you done that you might as well dl the artwork packs!
    True, although I don't think there is artwork for every game - but I may be wrong. Also, I couldn't find anywhere to download decent artwork packs. The one I did download only had artwork for a few less than about 50 games - most of which I never play.

Quote Originally Posted by big10p View Post
    Hi

I only recently got my OUYA and am having a blast with MAME4droid! I found Mr Do's excellent artwork repository (backgrounds/bezels/overlays) but was a surprised to see there wasn't any artwork for Pac-Man, so decided to make my own (actually, I later realized the Pac-Man artwork was stored under Puck-Man

Let me know what you think!
    This is exactly the type of thing I was looking for. I just started playing with artwork the other night, but I can't make it show up on mine. Is there something that has to be enabled to make the artwork zips in the artwork folder show up when you launch a game?