Close
Advertise Here
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Administrative Queen of Evil RiotingSpectre's Avatar

2 members found this post helpful.

Do We Take The Interface For Granted? Oh How I Love It.

Hello,

A lot of discussions happen in regards to OUYA Incorporation's next logical step with the console and the topic of an interface overhaul is almost always brought up for various reasons. While I'm inclined to agree since there's nothing wrong with improving on anything just so long as it's an actual improvement with an example of the polar opposite being what Microsoft did with their Windows line by going from the popular Windows 7 interface to the loathed Windows 8 interface. Despite my desire to see some things happen I think that the interface for the OUYA console is by far the most user friendly and visually appealing out of anything I've seen from anybody else. The Playstation line of consoles were also so tacked on to me while the Xbox side of things always looked like something that was derived from minds that had fetishes for squares, rectangles, and shape edges.

Back when we had the old interface with its ultra-bright orange that made me turn the brightness down on my television in fear that it would blow some LEDs out aside. I really do like the current one we have and I think we take it for granted without realizing it. Sure, some things are missing and some of the things we currently have can be better but they're very minor in hindsight once you change your perspective on what the console's interface is opposed to what it isn't in comparison to the others. Do you guys on OUYAForum find yourselves thinking the same things I am?

@OUYA Incorporate: It may not be perfect but I would also like to thank you for creating the interface(s) that you did as they're by far my favorite and I'm sure others would think it's their favorite too. If it were like anything as seen on the other consoles then I think we'd be insane by this point. You have my approval on this. Something that is harder to achieve than anything else on this planet.

Be sure to follow OUYAForum.com's rules. Also make sure to keep up-to-date with contests & sales.
    Show support for OUYAForum by becoming a Supporter.

1 members found this post helpful.
    Agreed 100%
    While there have been a fair few suggestions in the past I've seen I would have loved to have seen implemented, at the very least they've done a better job than anyone else.
    It's that situation where OUYA isn't a giant like Microsoft/Sony/Apple, etc, so while people have already given up any hope of asking the stores on those various platforms, they see OUYA as something new and are more viscous with their demands without considering all the other failed stores they use where they've already subconsciously given up hope on.
    "Beware my long form Squirrelage"

I agree as well. The interface has improved a LOT in the last year. I'm looking forward to the smoothness improvements too.
    Check out my game! https://www.ouya.tv/game/The-Adventures-of-Chris/
    (The Adventures of Chris was greenlit on Steam - big revamp on the way!)

One of the first things my missus commented on when I switched on the Ouya. Really lovely Netflix-like interface that makes things really easy and appealing. There's nothing really I'd like to change beyond being able perhaps to select a different background wallpaper or use a custom one. But even then I wouldn't put that high up on a priority list.

Ouya's front end is largely perfect imho.

Ouyas ui reminds me of youtubes ui. Which is funny because ouya is like the youtube of gaming.

I have no strong feelings one way or the other, but will try to speak for those who would like to see a change.

I don't feel asking for a ui update is taking the current interface for granted simply due to what was initially proposed by Ouya themselves. Taking a look at their Kickstarter, they presented a completely different interface, including currently undelivered functionality (Networking/Multiplayer/Friends). In comparing the two, it's understandable to have had a sense of disappointment when presented with that bright orange background it launched with. Sure, today's ui is an improvement over the latter, but it's still not up to par with what was purported.

Now, before someone comments on it, of course we all realize Kickstarter videos often display designs that differ from the final product. Things change, and there is no legal obligation that ties a company to the design they propose.
    That being said, it is human nature to want what we don't have, and I don't believe we're taking anything 'for granted' in that sense. The current version is functional and gets the job done. But it doesn't hurt to dream.

Administrative Queen of Evil RiotingSpectre's Avatar

Glad to see people agreeing.

Quote Originally Posted by Brown339 View Post
    I have no strong feelings one way or the other, but will try to speak for those who would like to see a change.

I don't feel asking for a ui update is taking the current interface for granted simply due to what was initially proposed by Ouya themselves. Taking a look at their Kickstarter, they presented a completely different interface, including currently undelivered functionality (Networking/Multiplayer/Friends). In comparing the two, it's understandable to have had a sense of disappointment when presented with that bright orange background it launched with. Sure, today's ui is an improvement over the latter, but it's still not up to par with what was purported.

Now, before someone comments on it, of course we all realize Kickstarter videos often display designs that differ from the final product. Things change, and there is no legal obligation that ties a company to the design they propose.
    That being said, it is human nature to want what we don't have, and I don't believe we're taking anything 'for granted' in that sense. The current version is functional and gets the job done. But it doesn't hurt to dream.
    Some fair points here and some unfounded expectations. Things like the Kickstarter user interface not being the one to launch with the OUYA is standard for all Kickstarters so you can't hold it against OUYA Incorporate.
    Be sure to follow OUYAForum.com's rules. Also make sure to keep up-to-date with contests & sales.
    Show support for OUYAForum by becoming a Supporter.

Space Cadet Pirate Moderator flamepanther's Avatar

There's always room for improvement, but I do like what we have.

There could be a bit of improvement with the smoothness of use, but I agree that the OUYA's UI is one of my favourite out of all the current consoles.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDavyStar View Post
    There could be a bit of improvement with the smoothness of use, but I agree that the OUYA's UI is one of my favourite out of all the current consoles.

thats already in the works, ouya even posted a video.

https://www.ouya.tv/a-peek-behind-the-ouya-curtain/
    Demos. Who gives a shit...
    "I hate him" - Some Internet dude named Killswitch
    "I finally got intimate with my OUYA" - boxtropica
    "I bring the hookers and Mt Dew" - Killswitch

http://i.imgur.com/lO42Zgy.png