Close
Advertise Here
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Chats

4 out of 4 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Do people think Ouya has to be as successful as PS4 to be a success?

Not every product sells like ps4. As long as there not producing too many consoles I would consider Ouya a success. If they started trying to push more then they know will sell then i think that would cause there demise but just because the console isn't selling with PS4 numbers doesn't make the console a failure. I'm sure they are more successful then they ever thought they would be. Just because your not pulling in billions of dollars does not mean you will fold. I'm sure Ouya never expected to be a multibillion dollar company or something.

Edit:

I left a typo in the title

Fixed it for ya. -DP
    Last edited by DrunkPunk; 3 Weeks Ago at 09:27 AM. Reason: Fixed title.

Chats

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    Seems like people expect it to sell like a PS4. It needs to sell for obvious reasons but doesn't need to be those levels to be successful.
    Killswitch Developer Interviews: Here
    Follow da homie on Twitter: Here
    OUYA Hub site: Coming soon
    Astra Etherium - SHMUP coming late July/early August [Still in alpha mode]: Here
    Want these games on OUYA? Go to the thread and MAKE SOME NOISE! - Waking the Glares - Heroes of Steel - Other Brothers

Chats

I had a great post as to why people think this along with retorting the fact that you don't need to be a red-hot success in sales, being constantly in the head-lines, and have cutting edge graphics to be a success. However, since I can't find it... For a company the size of OUYA Incorporate success is much different than what you'd find a company like Nintendo would need. We're never producing a lot of units that go unsold, we're making money off game sales, and we have so many other things that work in our favor that for such a small company we're alright for ourselves.

Make sure to show support for the developers of The Other Brothers. Release date depends on the ❤!

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    Everyone has a different measure of success, in both companies and on a human level.

Maybe the guy flipping burgers may not make as much money as the CEO, but maybe the burger flipper makes just enough for what he needs and is happy while the CEO never seems to run out of things she wants and "has" to buy and own, needing more and more green than she already does have to do so. Maybe she's thinking just having that one more thing will make her happy, only to change her mind at the next shiny thing she sees.

I like the feel of a Mom 'n Pop shop. Does them not making as much money as Walmart mean they're a failure? Nope.

But many people think that you need to make so much to be successful, and even just to simply be happy. It's not limited to companies alone. It's a cultural/societal problem, not a view just limited to looking at OUYA.
    Last edited by Sitting Fox; 3 Weeks Ago at 09:31 PM.
    Like puzzles? Try Hat Cat.
    Check out Explosive Dinosaurs for minigames involving just that.

Chats

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    Folks will do everything to make anything look its worst, just like the Towerfall's OUYA vs PS4 sales.
    Need some orchestral music in your game? YES!

Help get this OUYA exclusive game funded!
    KICKSTARTER

Chats

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by Sitting Fox View Post
    Everyone has a different measure of success, in both companies and on a human level.

Maybe the guy flipping burgers may not make as much money as the CEO, but maybe the burger flipper makes just enough for what he needs and is happy while the CEO never seems to run out of things she wants and "has" to buy and own, needing more and more green than she already does have to do so. Maybe she's thinking just having that one more thing will make her happy, only to change her mind at the next shiny thing she sees.

I like the feel of a Mom 'n Pop shop. Does them not making as much money as Walmart mean they're a failure? Nope.

But many people think that you need to make so much to be successful, and even just to simply be happy. It's not limited to companies alone. It's a cultural/societal problem, not a view just limited to looking at OUYA.
    Yum burgers. ^_^

Quote Originally Posted by RiotingSpectre View Post
    I had a great post as to why people think this along with retorting the fact that you don't need to be a red-hot success in sales, being constantly in the head-lines, and have cutting edge graphics to be a success. However, since I can't find it... For a company the size of OUYA Incorporate success is much different than what you'd find a company like Nintendo would need. We're never producing a lot of units that go unsold, we're making money off game sales, and we have so many other things that work in our favor that for such a small company we're alright for ourselves.
    I wish I thought of the Ouya. I don't think i would be disappointed in myself for the idea. =)

Quote Originally Posted by Sluup View Post
    Folks will do everything to make anything look its worst, just like the Towerfall's OUYA vs PS4 sales.
    John Doe says"Towerfall is crap! Get a PS4 and then we'll talk!"

Towerfall makes it onto PS4 and then John Doe says"Towerfall looks like a great game i'm gonna buy it!" Lol.
    Last edited by Killswitch; 3 Weeks Ago at 10:46 PM.

Of course not, as long as its profitable enough to keep its doors open and pay its employees , make a small profit etc, its a success to me . - I dont think were at that point yet - which means Ouya is at risk right now - but that would be my criteria.

People do have different measures of success, game consoles seems to be one of those areas where people are particularly harsh in their judgement. It you looked at what people say, every console is a fail except for the PS4. ie there can only be one successful console and all others are failures mentality.

Chats

There do seem to be quite a few people who think it needs to. I don't think that's difficult to explain either. Even though people generally acknowledge at some level that OUYA is supposed to be "a new kind of game console", absent any sort of benchmark of success for consoles of this new sort, people are reflexively going to fall back on the benchmarks they're already familiar with.
    Last edited by flamepanther; 3 Weeks Ago at 04:52 AM.

Fanboys....

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    I think it has to be on par with Amazon and Android TV because it costs the same to buy it. XBOX needs to be on par with Playstation because people expect it. Its a $100 micro console, just like Amazon Fire TV, Android TV, and Playstation TV as well as whatever Apple puts out eventually. If its not as good, then yes its a disappointment. I'm not talking sales figures. I'm talking user experience.

It could be a lot better and that's the frustrating part. I like the Ouya, but I'm not blind to its numerous shortcomings and I don't think it survives Q4 when Android TV hits and Amazon cranks up.