Close
Advertise Here

Commodore 64 Emulator, OUYA - PaulsCode

A few days ago, I decided to look at the possibility of porting one of the Android-based Commodore 64 emulators to the OUYA. All the current open-source options rely heavily on the touchscreen, which makes them really cumbersome on the OUYA. After a little research, I decided to use FrodoC64 as the base for the project. The initial challenge was bumping up the target API, due to stale reference errors in the JNI code. I posted a proof-of-concept video on Saturday after fixing those problems:

Now the real work begins, of re-writing the UI to play well with OUYAs controller-based interface. I am a little occupied with my other project right now, what with OUYA going live in a couple days, but I should have more updates in the next couple of weeks. Barring any unforeseen hiccups, I wouldn't expect this project to take more than a month to get to a point where it can be published in the OUYA store. It is really only a UI re-write.

better get them roms ready

Wow, wow, wow, wow!!! There are some great games that still holds up to this day
    Really looking forward to this, keep up the amazing work!!!

That's awesome!

Nice - if you add real USB keyboard support, then the OUYA would kinda-be a modern-day C-64! The OUYA motherboard would even fit in an old C-64 case.

I notice on Frodo's website that it says it hasnt been updated for awhile and v5 will be a re-write. The site itself seems to be way out of date so who knows. I was wondering if that re-write ever happened. Is this still line-based or is it now actually event-based?

The source does not utilize SDL, so I take that to mean the update never happened. Will keep an eye out for changes upstream and apply them when available.

AWWWW YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!!!

So looking forward to this when I get my Ouya.