Close
Advertise Here

Rediscovering the OUYA in 2019

Decided recently to plug the old box back in. Been a good couple of years since I last had fun with it, and I fully expected that there would be nothing doing. I imagined the store would have gone, all my purchases to amount to unplayable icons on the launch screen, and even that the system itself would be broken after so long dormant. I was very pleased to see this was (seemingly) not the case. I even successfully installed Retroarch 1.7.5 last night.

I thought I was clever a couple of years ago by switching to alternate Android boxes. "There's the community aspect" I convinced myself. I thought that by now there'd be plenty of ROM choices on alternative boxes (including the MOJO I'd bought), but sadly the reality of Android community "developers" is they are nothing of the sort. They are simply enthusiasts who have a go but have limited overall development knowledge. They post up disclaimers in fairness but the reality is that you too are "having a go" and if you have problems or post bugs, there's a reluctance to engage and with a huge variation in devices it's almost impossible to get resolutions. If your device doesn't work you may be screwed unless you can find the original ROM. I was lucky in one case (the MOJO, which I reflashed and sold); not so in another and the box was a write-off. All this time I still had the OUYA funnily enough, which these boxes were intended to replace. Lol at that eh? Outlived them both with no effort. Wish I'd just stuck with it.

Having recently 'completed' my Retropie setup, and eyeing the current trend for retro micro-consoles (which I still feel we can thank the OUYA for), I am now going to spend a bit of time with the console to re-evaluate. Anyone here still gaming on it? What are you playing and what can I expect from a dying device like this in 2019? Have games been removed/not working anymore? Where's Razer?

Hope you are all well and have had a lovely Christmas at least!

My current device of choice is the GPDxd, which is very much like an OUYA Handheld. I've put the normal selection of emus on there, but .. yeah, like you say, it feels like a bunch of developers who simply recompile whatever's available and then leave it at that, never working towards an end goal, and just happy that the thing's running at all.
    Android doesn't make things easy though, with the hundreds of subtly different versions running on all manner of different devices.
    If the OUYA dream had stayed alive, maybe we'd be in a very different place right now, as developers would have specific targets to aim for.
    But with the chaos of Android Fragmentation.. ... not so much.

:/
    Jayenkai : Making unpopular games for over two and a half decades!
    OUYA/Cortex/Android TV compatible .apks available here.

The nice thing about OUYA was it wasn't just about emulators (though of course that got folks through the door). There was a really nice broad spectrum of titles for anyone to pick up and play, and a fertile ground for budding developers. It suffered so unnecessarily badly with early press and never recovered, but I really feel the thing just rolled over and died instead of staying the course and fighting back. Once it had gone to Razer I think everyone knew it was game over.

That said, here I am in 2019 and still playing it. :smile: Can I ask if anyone can point out which games are no longer working? I've bought quite a few over the years and though I've tried many and they still work, I've no doubt some will not.

Yep. Roll over and die is exactly what they did. Probably had reasons but it is what it is.

I think you underestimate the sale to Razer though. Razer had an Android box and they were definitely one of the companies who could have done something but decided not to. There were plans and they basically abandoned all of it and even didn't communicate with the Ouya peeps so the failure is on Razer. Nvidia and Amazon have shown the Android box is viable no matter what you use it for but if you have a game company pushing games and all that then it SHOULD have gained and not gone backwards but Ouya did some of that damage too. Then Razer dumped their Forge stock on us and that was that.

Think I am going to do that video now that this thread popped up....

The Rise and Fall of Ouya as told by Killswitch?
    Razer We Hardly Knew Ya...?

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Killswitch View Post
    Yep. Roll over and die is exactly what they did. Probably had reasons but it is what it is.

I think you underestimate the sale to Razer though. Razer had an Android box and they were definitely one of the companies who could have done something but decided not to. There were plans and they basically abandoned all of it and even didn't communicate with the Ouya peeps so the failure is on Razer.
    Just yesterday, I saw a post on another forum, where someone complains about Razer/OUYA permanently rejecting the updates for his game(s). Looks like they didn't even tell the devs what was going on... is there a more bizarre story than this one in the gaming industry?
    So many games, so little time...

They definitely updated devs along the way. Unless the dev had directed the updates to their spambin, that is.

Yeah....that story kind of sounds off. If someone wanted info they could have got it or came here and complained and it would have been taken care of or at least get them to the right person. Or do what a bunch of other people did. Ask that Killswitch guy, he also seemed to help.

Though I guess it's not something too uncommon outside of here. Like if the person was contacting Bob after he went to Humble or Jared after he went to Fox, then they definitely didn't get an answer. Communication with the right people could be an issue.

Then they stopped taking updates after......(fill in the date)

The original deadline was just after my 100th game. I posted it as a nice numerical bookend to round off my time making OUYA games.
    .. then they kept extending the deadline.. grr!!!

But, I knew WELL in advance that it was happening, and the deadline for updates was about 3 months later, IIRC. It was in the dev update newsletter. Devs have no excuse!!

I was technically the last game. though someone release the game they already had in the works after that. But the date to do updates was I think a year after that? You couldn't upload new games. But updates lasted a while after that. I could be wrong on that date but I know that info is somewhere on this forum.