Close
Advertise Here
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

2 members found this post helpful.

OUYA: Who did what, where are they now?

Hi everybody,

I feel the urge to do something. I don't want to see OUYA simply fade away because nobody cares, so I'm asking all of you for help.

I need every Information out there about OUYA People of the past and present: names, contacts, email addresses of everyone ever involved in OUYA, especially the on the server side and the software development.

- Why shouldn't it be possible to acquire the whole thing ourself or at least gain control over it?
    - If not, we could try to set up a System that at least guarantees user authetification, so that everybody could at least login to the system and play all the games, even with DRM.

Just want to make clear, that I don't expect everybody to help working on this, but I want to ask people for Information like documentations, source codes, access data.

If you know someone who did or does something for OUYA, please let me know here!
    So many games, so little time...

Inebriated Staff Ninja DrunkPunk's Avatar

Ambitious.
    I am not even sure where to start. I guess you could start at all the news articles and compile a list of names.
    DrnkPnk says, "Obey The Beard!"
    I helped create a mini-game in Explosive Dinosaurs. Otakupunk played it, and now you can too!

Follow my weirdness - > Instagram

Yes, that's what I do... but I turned to you guys here because some of you had contact to the inner circle. It's easier to write someone if you know what he/she did at OUYA.

Now that the connection to the servers is live again, Carl doesn't respond anymore

I know a few names but not sure they are still there. The problem is Razer though. You have to remember Razer did pay $10M or something for Ouya. They seem like one of those companies who buys things and never lets go.

Also, you won't get answers on weekends.

I know that they paid a lot of money for it... but if they're shutting it down, there are losers everywhere. Maybe there is some way to convince them that it's better to keep it running and open it again for new submissions, so that it earns a Little Money. The Forge failed, so why not turn back to the old OUYA?

You know, after this mess with the downtime I received so many Messages on Facebook from around the world. There is a brazilian OUYA group on Facebook with over 1200 members and it's quite active! This gives me the feeling that it could thrive again - on a small Level - but it could become a living community again.

I thought about making an attempt before but I cannot stand Razer. They had no clue with the Ouya and seems like they just talked a big game. They had no clue with their own box and let it just die. Look how long it took to get that last update when they said they wouldn't touch stock Android and what did they do? Touched stock Android and removed the option to save. Never followed through on Netflix. It was always some numbers thing supposedly but these days you could get Netflix on a toaster. I didn't care about the media side so to me it meant nothing. If someone did things right then maybe it would have been profitable but to a company their size it isn't. Though Nvidia and Amazon seem to have found a way to make it happen. Ironically the tech in the box is still one of the best on the market.

Carl has basically been that guy trying to keep things going. But when Razer had no support (as you've experienced) and all the other things it just seems like an untenable situation. A little money vs no money? To them it was "no money" not that I know numbers. But look at how they completely lost the fanbase that they were praising. Everyone bought in thinking Razer would actually do something since it would boost their box and all that.

If you recall there was talk about open sourcing and all that but Razer didn't see any money in doing that or paying people to do that so it didn't happen. That's my conclusion anyway from what happened.

I know it's big in Brazil and a few other countries. They always get games later than the rest of us but these games are more in the afforable range. Things were way overpriced for them down there when it comes to electronics. But if you could get a $100 box and games that are under $15 it's going to work for them. I always wondered if their burgeoning gamedev market and other countries with lower economics would have helped to make things work.

So yeah. I feel there are ways to make things work but you have bad press, Razer and other factors to deal with. Plus no hardware stock.

There is one good thing about the bad press: it's been long ago. Nobody really cares. When I publish OUYA stuff or videos on my YouTube or Facebook, there are always People not familiar with my stuff and they say thing like "I thought it's dead for years". If we do this, it will happen under the radar of the public.

Open Source would be an even more ambitious approach, because that would mean that Razer gives it away for free. I don't know, but I'm pretty sure they won't let it go. On the other hand I'm sure they know that they did everything to finacially devalue OUYA/Cortex. The remaining value is only an idealistic one.

One way would be to convince them that they have nothing to lose, but possibly something to earn. But I wouldn't focus only on that, and that's why I want to contact people to create a Kind of knowledge pool about the inside of OUYA.

Killswitch, do you have some contacts that I could write to?

Something like this has been mentioned before, but I doubt anything drastic can happen as we just don't have the user base. Our best bet now is to archive every possible thing we can get our hands on. Cortex's servers are just a ticking timebomb now.
    I'm not limited edition. I'm just special.

Well, I'm sure there was talk about it before. But I think the situation has changed. Forge TV is officially dead, the Cortex Store is deserted. Devs who put games into it report download numbers around Zero.
    Zero is also the real value it has for Razer, and I don't think that they will try to resurrect it again in any form.

There is no point in archving when DRM locks out about 60% of the library. I would like to try to dismantle the bomb, but I can't do it alone.

I can think of one person you might want to try to talk to but I'm not even sure he's still there. Let me see if I can find his email.