Close
Advertise Here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Hi Chili,

thanks for the instructions, but that doesn't work in this case. You can only remove updates from the Google Play Services and Store.
    Play Store and Services are consideres as System app and cannot be unistalled this way.
    So many games, so little time...

Hey Retrowurst,

I just tried to install Google play, but unlike before I’m stopped with an outdated browser message (with no way of updating).

I considered getting the current apk from a mirror, but I really don’t want to take the risk of my OUYA having the same issue.

I know in 2014 it was possible to remove Google Play (I was using my OUYA to play ‘Heroes of Dragon Age’ with my google play account. Since removing that and Amazon I haven’t tried to side load anything though. I will take another look online and let you know if I find anything more useful.

You may want to check with some of the android forums to see if anyone on those sites could offer some advice. If you find an answer please post it here so that it's documented for future use.

Seems like no one ever wanted to remove it, I didn't find anything about it on reddit or xda forums. I think I will disconnect this one and use another only for Google Play stuff. At least then I can find out if there is a way to install it properly from scratch.
    So many games, so little time...

Hey Retrowurst,

My wife actually remembered what we did when we installed (and uninstalled) the Play store, though I’m not sure it’s going to be helpful.
    When we installed Google Play we followed the instructions listed in this video for rooting the OUYA / adding Super User, and the apps had an uninstall option built in.

Here’s a second video that looks like it was done after an update in 2014.

If your OUYA is unsalvageable in its current state, you may want to try installing these and seeing if it would overwrite the current installation (thus giving you the option to remove it).
    ***Warning this is just speculation, I do not know if this would work so proceed at your own risk***