Close
Advertise Here
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Google Play Store messed up

For a few weeks now, I experience increasing Troubles with the Google Play Store and Services.

At first, on my 16GB OUYA the Play Store apps quits unexpectedly after a few seconds, no matter if I do something or not.

Then Google Play Games started to misbehave, saying it has Problems with the Google Play Services. Sometimes.

Now games tell me that I should update the Services, but when I try to do it, I can only open it or uninstall updates. When I do this, everything works until the next reboot -> repeat.

And finally, yesterday my first (silver) OUYA, that always used to work without Problems started the same Diva Show. Needless to say that I always disabled automatic updates...

So now I look for a way to remove all this Google stuff to reinstall it from scratch, because I know from earlier installations that even with a factory reset, Google stays on the OUYA.

Someone here familiar with this? Is there some solution to this?

THANKS!
    So many games, so little time...

Inebriated Staff Ninja DrunkPunk's Avatar

Wish I could help but I never installed any of the Google stuff on my OUYAs.
    DrnkPnk says, "Obey The Beard!"
    I helped create a mini-game in Explosive Dinosaurs. Otakupunk played it, and now you can too!

Follow my weirdness - > Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by DrunkPunk View Post
    Wish I could help but I never installed any of the Google stuff on my OUYAs.
    Same here

It all used to work quite well for a long time now, but it Starts to feel like someone wants to kill it off. For sure. This time.

Inebriated Staff Ninja DrunkPunk's Avatar

That would not surprise me.
    DrnkPnk says, "Obey The Beard!"
    I helped create a mini-game in Explosive Dinosaurs. Otakupunk played it, and now you can too!

Follow my weirdness - > Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by Retrowurst View Post

So now I look for a way to remove all this Google stuff to reinstall it from scratch, because I know from earlier installations that even with a factory reset, Google stays on the OUYA.

Someone here familiar with this? Is there some solution to this?

THANKS!
    Hey, I had this same problem a while back and just removed all of Google's services.

I do recall the issue of Google Play hanging around after a reformat (making it to where everything had to be manually removed), but that was years ago. The last time I reformatted everything was removed.

If you can't remove it with a reformat make a follow-up post and I will try to retrace my steps.

2 members found this post helpful.
    You're trying to run unsupported addons on what is now an unsupported device.
    Realistically, this just isn't going to work out well.
    IMO : Reset your OUYA back to defaults, get whatever you can onto it before Razer shuts down all the servers, and then keep it as the box of joy that it's supposed to be, not the horrorshow that it became..
    Jayenkai : Making unpopular games for over two and a half decades!
    OUYA/Cortex/Android TV compatible .apks available here.

@Jayenkai, I did that, I have five of these little boxes, and one is a dedicated backup.

@Chii_Dev, when I do a factory reset, everything of the google stuff remains. Play Store, Settings, Services, Framework.

Quote Originally Posted by Retrowurst View Post
    @Jayenkai, I did that, I have five of these little boxes, and one is a dedicated backup.

@Chii_Dev, when I do a factory reset, everything of the google stuff remains. Play Store, Settings, Services, Framework.
    Hey Retrowurst, I can't get to my OUYA today but I just searched the issue.

See if this works:
    -Go under system to the advanced settings,
    -Go to Google Play and maybe Google Services (I can't recall for sure),
    -Select it, and try to uninstall from there.

You may want to use a mouse to help navigate.

Awesome. Good to know there’s preservation going on!

As for GooglePlay, it’s just going to get harder and harder.
    You need to remember that OUYA was doing AndroidTV before even Google was!
    Unless we can upgrade the Android on the OUYA to something more substantial (say Android M) then what little support there is, is just going to keep moving away.

If you have a stock OUYA sitting as backup, maybe it might be an opportunity to try to get a completely stock AndroidTV firmware running on the thing?
    I’ve no idea how you’d go about doing such a thing, and it'd likely kill your OUYA along the way, so... !! At your own risk!
    Jayenkai : Making unpopular games for over two and a half decades!
    OUYA/Cortex/Android TV compatible .apks available here.