Close
Advertise Here
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Nobody here talking about Ataribox?

I'm surprised nobody on this forum has talked at all about the Ataribox. It seems to be more or less an evolved concept of what was started with the Ouya. As well as having a few original team members on board and along with Atari's branding behind I see it having the best chance of reviving the hobbyist console which I thought was a great niche started by Ouya. There isn't much information on it yet but I'll link a youtube video with two of the people on the project as well as the site URL. What are your opinions guys?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qoE19qgGGTk
    https://ataribox.com/

Space Cadet Pirate Moderator flamepanther's Avatar

1 members found this post helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mscottson View Post
    There isn't much information on it
    For me, this is the main issue right now. We've been through this enough now with other micro/Android/Linux/hobbyist/retro/indie consoles that I'm just watching to see what happens. It isn't that I'm not interested, but that there's little to discuss yet, and I'm no longer eager to form an opinion about this type of console until we see the product and its marketing. Maybe others are the same.
    Last edited by flamepanther; 10-26-2017 at 09:18 PM.
    "But I don't want to go among mad people," Alice remarked.
    "Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: "We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."
    "How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
    "You must be," said the Cat, "otherwise you wouldn't have come here."

They’ve said it’ll be about 250-300, which is "proper console" price, and that it’ll run Linux.
    Neither of which will be appealing to an audience.

I doubt it’ll do well, but I won’t rule it out. After all, I had a lot of fun with OUYA, and that wasn’t exactly a commercial success!
    Jayenkai : Making unpopular games for over two and a half decades!
    OUYA/Cortex/Android TV compatible .apks available here.

I was hoping Ataribox would be another OUYA. A nice cheap box to play Atari retro games and neo-retro content. I was excited.
    Then they announced it would be crowdfunded and I quit caring, figured on the off chance it actually happened I'd snag one if it were cheap and decent.
    Then they announced it would be a $300 Linux PC with 'Ataribox' being the equivalent of 'Forge Cortex' on the unit and I laughed and laughed and laughed and said they best shift that 'Ataribox' storefront onto every other PC 'cuz there's no way in hell I'm buying theirs.
    OUYA console to become doorstop when store server shuts down. But since it seems to be safe so far, we just need a place to collect new (and updated?) OUYA titles.
    Have you made your game sideload-able for OUYA hardware? Put it on http://itch.io, then let me know and i'll add it to a collection we can all link to.

I remembered an article about the Ataribox "PC experience on the TV." Is a slogan the Phantom Console used as well.

Also odd that slogan is still used. I thought most PC Gaming already HAS been brought to the TV in one form or another.

It may pass it's kickstarter because Atari will ride upon its own fame. Hell just to add to the success they can probably star Tommy Wiseau in their kickstarter intro:

"O HAI GAM-MERS! WE ARE A-TAR-EEE! HowsYourSexLife? DOESN'T MATTER NOSTALGIA IS COOL BUY A CONSOLE IT WILL HAVE GAME HUUUUUUUUH?"

Ooo! Maybe they can tie in bladerunner 2049 where the game will have hours of cinematic shots but it's a point and click to save the princess. Which point and click is problematic as they just give you a joystick and forgot to add the correct input library. damn..
    Would you like to know more? - My Blog

I can see a 1983 crash coming...too many consoles and too many games.

PS4, Switch, Xbox, Atari box, Spartan, Retroengine, Retroblox, Seedi, (Glad it failed), Retropie(Orange pi and Rasberry Pi), JXD Singularity, GPD Win, GPD XD, Retron 5 (And similar Consoles), Chinese Knock Offs, 3DS/2DS (All systems)

too many games....

Steam, Origin, Cortex, Itch.io, Ubisoft, Windows store, Apple store, Google play store....

Unlike then, however, we now have the web to guide us away from the awful games.
    You won’t generally be paying full price for garbage, like you so very well could’ve back in the early 80s.
    That’s what caused the crash.
    Too much garbage, and no way to know until you’d paid the entry fee.
    Jayenkai : Making unpopular games for over two and a half decades!
    OUYA/Cortex/Android TV compatible .apks available here.

Ya the price is definitely off putting to me too but if you guys remember one of the negatives for the Ouya was that it was too underpowered on release so if this packs a lot more punch it might be worth the price. The only thing that really intrigues me is that there is still a pretty large community behind Atari so that might drum up a good amount of initial support which again the Ouya suffered from. Just thought I would start a discussion because it would be nice to have a Ouya successor of aome sort.

Oh, well no worries there. It's already confirmed to be underpowered, having a graphics card that can't nearly handle anything modern.

I'm still somewhat an Atarian. I loved Bushnell's Atari, I liked Kassar's Atari, (I was unaware of Morgan's NATCO,) I tolerated Tramiel's Atari...but since then Atari hasn't really been Atari, as far as I care. It's just a name somebody slaps on to get attention now. The current "Atari" nee Infogrames has run roughshod over the name - engaging in constant petty lawsuits, piecing out the core IP, and being a third-rate publisher all the while.
    OUYA console to become doorstop when store server shuts down. But since it seems to be safe so far, we just need a place to collect new (and updated?) OUYA titles.
    Have you made your game sideload-able for OUYA hardware? Put it on http://itch.io, then let me know and i'll add it to a collection we can all link to.

Well I'm hoping to back this, and also hoping to get some Agameaweek action!!
    I'm not limited edition. I'm just special.