Close
Advertise Here

1 members found this post helpful.

OUYA store staying?

Hi everyone this is my first post.

I just bought my first OUYA and I really love it.

I have no idea how this could fail, I love playing mini indie and android games on my TV, some are so bad I have never had so much laughing fun in my life on a console.

Anyways I have started purchasing lots of games on the system, created a new account etc. The payments show up as OUYA inc on my statement and the emailed receipts as Razer.

My question is will the store stay open for a couple of years more? any news on when it might close?

Also if I get an external hard drive for storage will those games work even if the store closes?

Thanks in advance

Razer only promised it to be open...about this long, so when it will close is unknown since Razer pretends it doesn't exist anyway.

Will the games still be playable? The free ones, yes. Some of the paid ones have no DRM check so if you have it you can play it. Some of the paid ones leave a note on the system that they are paid for and will work offline...until that note disappears. It's not supposed to disappear, but it happens eventually. And then some of the paid ones do server checks and won't work at all.
    OUYA console to become doorstop when store server shuts down. But since it seems to be safe so far, we just need a place to collect new (and updated?) OUYA titles.
    Have you made your game sideload-able for OUYA hardware? Put it on http://itch.io, then let me know and i'll add it to a collection we can all link to.

Space Cadet Pirate Moderator flamepanther's Avatar

The store is currently "frozen," meaning no new games can be added to it. Razer promised (about a year ago) to keep the store online for at least a year, after which their plan of action was undecided. So the short answer is we don't know.

That said, here's my thinking:
    Razer doesn't want to close the store per se. The only reason they would is due to the cost of "keeping the lights on". Razer basically built their "Cortex store" for Android out of the OUYA store infrastructure, so as long as that's running, the additional cost of the old OUYA store is basically just storage. Freezing the store keeps that storage cost from growing. As long as the Cortex store is alive, I don't think the OUYA Play store will disappear. How long that'll be is another question. On the one hand, it might be in jeopardy if the Forge is as dead as it looks like. On the other hand, they'll almost certainly use the Cortex store for their new mobile device, so that will keep us on life support at least a little while longer. There was also talk of opening Cortex up to other devices, similar to the old "OUYA Everywhere" concept. So really, it all depends on how serious Razer is about staying in the Android game and whether they can find a successful strategy.
    "But I don't want to go among mad people," Alice remarked.
    "Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: "We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."
    "How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
    "You must be," said the Cat, "otherwise you wouldn't have come here."

2 members found this post helpful.
    Welcome to the asylum of Ouya refugees. I'd probably echo what Flame said.

Thanks for the replies everyone I will just keep buying a game a week to have fun with I guess. Enjoy it while it lasts.

Welcome!

Welcome to the asylum of Ouya refugees.

Space Cadet Pirate Moderator flamepanther's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kalloggs40 View Post
    Thanks for the replies everyone I will just keep buying a game a week to have fun with I guess. Enjoy it while it lasts.
    Yeah, at least most of the games are pretty cheap, and at least you get to try the experience while it's here. It's definitely a fun little box with a surprising amount of content. Just... try to keep backups of everything you can, and don't get too attached to the games with online DRM.
    "But I don't want to go among mad people," Alice remarked.
    "Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: "We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."
    "How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
    "You must be," said the Cat, "otherwise you wouldn't have come here."

Fun fact: I still find some cool games now and then, and I purchase them. I always did, even when it was just about the idea of the game that made me believe that I could support the dev. And now I do it because I somehow hope that others do the same and as long as there is still some cashflow, they keep the lights on.
    So many games, so little time...

Inebriated Staff Ninja DrunkPunk's Avatar

Same here Retro. I bought something last month just to check.
    DrnkPnk says, "Obey The Beard!"
    I helped create a mini-game in Explosive Dinosaurs. Otakupunk played it, and now you can too!

Follow my weirdness - > Instagram