Close
Advertise Here
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

I imagine there are a fair amount of people who had bought the forge when they had the discount a while back myself included but Razer's lack of proper marketing and the misstep they had with Netflix prevented any developers from making games for Forge. That along with the fact that the original Ouya games library was not transferred over to the Forge made it become less and less easy to recommend to more people. If a good game had came out things could have been different and even now a good game could get a decent amount of sales since I imagine that people who bought it purely for gaming are the types of people that find out about must have releases. Either way it's one less hardware purchase I suppose.

I got curious about ATV when the Forge came. Well, it came and went, and now here's the Shield instead, and it's great for gaming. I played it a lot in the recent months and I'm pretty sure this will be a growing market.
    Nvidia curates their own game store quite well, the only thing that I consider a problem is that the exclusive AAA titles are a little too old - and too few. But maybe this will get better over time.
    So many games, so little time...

Unfortunately, as we've all seen with OUYA/Forge/GameStick and more, time isn't something that Android devices tend to have..
    A year, at the most, then it's on to the next thing.

NVidia know the Shield is good, but I can guarantee they've much more faith in providing the chips for the Switch than they do for their own device.
    Jayenkai : Making unpopular games for over two and a half decades!
    OUYA/Cortex/Android TV compatible .apks available here.

I don't think so. They updated their device recently and updates keep coming. Good thing with Nvidia ist, they have the time and the money to let their ecosystem grow constantly.
    Android gaming won't have a flood of AAA titles anytime soon, but I think they follow the right path to curate their own storefront and trying to convince more Studios to port games exclusively to Shield-Android.

1 members found this post helpful.
    Nvidia isn't focused on the gaming though from what I have seen these past few years. Yes they get some exclusive stuff but their focus seems to be more on the media side and that seems to be the way of all ATV devices. Forge could have been different but the stonewalling when asking questions and Netflix (even though I think Netflix is not a necessity) were major issues for a lot of people.

Ouya games are supposed to be moved over or something from the last communications we had here but who knows when since Razer doesnt talk. They didn't even talk to TeamO before the last update. If it was a dudebro device they'd talk forever. Android is a market that you can't just drop something in and hope it works. Android needs supervision for whatever reasons. To me and most of you it's just plug in and go but so many are still stuck in Android being for phones and all that crap.

Someone could focus on games. Look at all the indies out there who would love a place to put their games and hope to get an audience. If there was a dedicated device with low entrance terms and all that it could still work. Of course you mix in AAA and all that but what the hell was so hard about talking about the device. Simply talking about the device would have helped. It's not like it's tech that is too old to run a lot of things. The original Shield was only like a few steps ahead while most other boxes were way way back.

Bah. Feel like I can write several blog posts on the missteps of the ATV market including by Google who doesn't even have Chrome fully ATV ready.

Anyway...

Razer screwed the proverbial pooch.

OUYAForum Devotee Victor Coleiro's Avatar

Well, as I sadi from day one, for Android TV Gaming to take off, it really needed Google to step up and launch a dedicated console along with the launch of ATV Gaming.

They had planned that , remember the initial dev Google ATV boxes had a Tegra 4 and controller I believe. But then they went and ditched the controller. To get devs to develop cntroller based games on mass for ATV , it needs the backing of Google via it's own ATV console. Until that happens, it will always be second tier.

I'd liked to have seen Google launch an ATV box that came with decent specs, a controller and also a remote. I would like to see Google push it and support it SW wise. I'd like the controller to also fold open to allow people to put a Android Phone in it and use that as a mobile gaming ATV console. Have Google fund a big exclusive or two to kick it off.

Push it this way, and devs will develop for it on mass. As there will be a an install base for it. Right now it's just the Shield TV - and as a dev, you don't even have a clue as to how many they sold.

As I said before, since getting a GPD WIN, I haven't looked back at Android gaming. Android gaming is miles behind what I can do on the WIN. You can even get cheap Windows 10 TV boxes now if ou want that. Much better option for gaming as you have access to the ton of windows games and steam

Space Cadet Pirate Moderator flamepanther's Avatar

3 members found this post helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by DrunkPunk View Post
    We could always talk about how there are not nearly enough people with pineapples as their avatars on the internet...
    Am I late?
    "But I don't want to go among mad people," Alice remarked.
    "Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: "We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."
    "How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
    "You must be," said the Cat, "otherwise you wouldn't have come here."

Inebriated Staff Ninja DrunkPunk's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by flamepanther View Post
    Am I late?
    Never!
    DrnkPnk says, "Obey The Beard!"
    I helped create a mini-game in Explosive Dinosaurs. Otakupunk played it, and now you can too!

Follow my weirdness - > Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by flamepanther View Post
    Am I late?
    Welcome aboard the Pineapple Express!
    Hmmm... good signatures are hard to come by...

Quote Originally Posted by DrunkPunk View Post
    We could always talk about how there are not nearly enough people with pineapples as their avatars on the internet...
    Can someone give me a hint what this pineapple-avatar-thing is all about?