Close
Advertise Here
    OUYAForum Devotee Victor Coleiro's Avatar

Mad Catz files for Bankrupsy

So as was expected, Mad Catz has filed for bankrupsy. Unfortunatley they gambled big on Rock Star (or whatever it was) and it didn't work out

http://www.theverge.com/circuitbreak...-times-tribute

Gee, so you can't sustain a business on overpriced, poorly made controllers with licensed characters slapped on them?
    They only gambled on Rock Star to pull them out of the bankruptcy they were already headed into. It, unsurprisingly, didn't work.
    OUYA console to become doorstop when store server shuts down. But since it seems to be safe so far, we just need a place to collect new (and updated?) OUYA titles.
    Have you made your game sideload-able for OUYA hardware? Put it on http://itch.io, then let me know and i'll add it to a collection we can all link to.

Figured someone like Razer would have snapped them up. That's the end of the rumors and now it's reality.

Perhaps Razer will be after some of the assets in the upcoming asset auction.

But that is the strangest thing. Razer spent $10mill on Ouya , but didn't buy Madcatz , a business in line with theirs as opposed to Ouya which at the time added near nothing for Razer. The Forge was done back then, an Ouya game line up was never ging to ressurect it - especially when a lot of the better games were already on Android

True. I thought they would have went for Mad Catz first. But then they claimed they wanted the Forge to be a full functioning box and even now it still isn't. It's like they see the toy in the store that they want and they buy it and then use it for a little while and let it sit and rot.

Space Cadet Pirate Moderator flamepanther's Avatar

Not buying MadCatz makes sense to me, honestly. MadCatz does (err, did) the same things Razer was already doing, except worse. What does Razer get out of that other than one fewer competitor to deal with?

I hope whoever buys Saitek from MadCatz can rehabilitate their Cyborg gamepad line. Those were the best PC game controllers around, but they declined radically in quality after MadCatz bought them, and was eventually cancelled. Their final models had the D-pad and left analog stick on a removable module so that you could swap between PS2 and X-Box style layouts, and it had PS2 controller connections in addition to the normal USB ones. It would've been an amazing pad for PS2 games if the quality control hadn't turned to crap by then.
    "But I don't want to go among mad people," Alice remarked.
    "Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: "We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."
    "How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
    "You must be," said the Cat, "otherwise you wouldn't have come here."

Quote Originally Posted by flamepanther View Post
    Not buying MadCatz makes sense to me, honestly. MadCatz does (err, did) the same things Razer was already doing, except worse. What does Razer get out of that other than one fewer competitor to deal with?

I hope whoever buys Saitek from MadCatz can rehabilitate their Cyborg gamepad line. Those were the best PC game controllers around, but they declined radically in quality after MadCatz bought them, and was eventually cancelled. Their final models had the D-pad and left analog stick on a removable module so that you could swap between PS2 and X-Box style layouts, and it had PS2 controller connections in addition to the normal USB ones. It would've been an amazing pad for PS2 games if the quality control hadn't turned to crap by then.
    Mad Catz sold Saitek a while ago to Logitech

Well if they did buy Mad Catz they get more facilities to make more dudebro stuff and all that. Unless of course they're made in the same facilities. Or maybe they get some stuff they wanted from Mad Catz like the concepts and all that before Mad Catz produced them and they turn out to be crap.

Space Cadet Pirate Moderator flamepanther's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Victor Coleiro View Post
    Mad Catz sold Saitek a while ago to Logitech
    I guess I missed that. Didn't have the result I wanted either, obviously
    "But I don't want to go among mad people," Alice remarked.
    "Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: "We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."
    "How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
    "You must be," said the Cat, "otherwise you wouldn't have come here."

1 members found this post helpful.
    I got to admit the last madcatz product i bought was a 1" softmat for DDR. That's rather dated huh? It lasted for about ooooh 3 years before the foam began to disintegrate which left me buying a cobalt flux. Although the controller died long ago the pad itself works to this day.

Don't really know how to feel about MatCatz though. Like a drunk uncle they were just the company that was 'there'. Whenever friends hand me a madcatz controller to play party games i was like 'oh' and eventually got used to it. Wasn't bad, but wasn't really good either.
    Would you like to know more? - My Blog