Close
Advertise Here

Does this work on Ouya? FPS Engine.

Hi,

I've developed an FPS Engine for Android devices, testing on my Forge TV as I go, and am interested in hearing how well (if at all) it performs on Ouya. I'm aware that neither machine is in production any more, but am interested in developing console-like experiences and would like to support as many devices as possible.

Anyway, if an Ouya owner would be interested in testing this for me the demo can be downloaded from :
    http://pipnayler.com/downloads/co-op.apk

The demo is short and very much focused on player abilities, with barebones A.I., and not at all highlighting the engines graphical capabilities.

A frame rate counter is visible in the top left corner of the screen, and I'd be grateful if someone could tell me how smooth this runs on Ouya or any other Android TV devices that may be owned (especially the SHIELD TV). For comparison, this runs at a pretty consistent 60fps on my Razer Forge TV.

The demo is set to run in two player splitscreen, as this is a feature important to me, and players can swim, sprint, jump, crouch, reload, aim down sight, and revive each other. You can quit the demo from a pause menu (which currently only displays Razer button icons, but this will change in future), or by using the exit object at the end of the level. Pressing down on the d-pad will toggle the camera invert.

Thanks in advance for any feedback, and for taking the time to check this out.

ouya-1.jpg

ouya-2.jpg

ouya-3.jpg
    Last edited by DARKHALO2K; 03-25-2017 at 12:26 PM. Reason: Screenshots added.

Hey thanks for continuing support. While neither device is still for sale. The forge is still getting games published for it in the cortex store and on android tv play store. Ill give it a test on both when i get a chance later.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Not yet, no.

i just plugged in my ouya, i wanted to see if my girl would interest herlself with old emulated games....
    gosh, games used to be so hard....

anyways, i cant make any promises on timing, but i will test it in the next few days.

it runs at 15 fps top.

controller is highly unresponsive (as expected for such framerate)

if you have seen shadow gun, then you would understand you are actually doing something wrong.

i can see its very lowpoly so i would guess you are usiing very expensive shaders.

Thank you for taking the time to test this for me.

It's a shame to hear of the poor performance but it's actually down to the framework I'm using, AGK, and it's lack of compatibility with the low fill rate of the Ouya. There are no shaders in use in my demo, and previous single player tests were running at 30-40fps on the console.

AGK's performance has improved a lot since owning an Ouya, so I was hoping for results more in line with the Forge TV, but that's clearly not the case. And with two players everything is rendered twice, thus the usual 30-40fps dropping all the way down to 15fps.

Apologies for the poor performance, but thanks again for helping me with this. It's much appreciated.