Close
Advertise Here

GameStick out-lived the OUYA

Well, they don't sell the OUYA at Target anymore, nor anywhere else other than in used condition. I read recently they also stopped making ForgeTV's. BUT ironically enough, GameStop still sells brand-new GameSticks, yep--they are still making them. But get this, they are under $10. Controllers are only $1. *gasp* See it here: http://m.gamestop.com/product/androi...troller/109154

I wonder why the OUYA, all the way up to the end of its life, was still around $100, when the GameStick, which is nearly the same thing, is available for significantly cheaper.
    Last edited by timekillergames; 12-25-2016 at 02:30 PM.

It should be obvious why gamestick was cheaper. Its a got a far smaller physical footprint than the ouya ever did. For one it was basically the size of a usb memory stick with cost effective components and chip from which the OS ran off of. Second the gamestick wasn't using any sort of chip sets that would drastically set it apart from other android consoles. For the most part gamestick used middle of the line processors and such. Ouya on the other hand used a nvidia tegra 3 chip. Old chip or not at the time that alone drove up ouyas price point. It also lacked a ethernet port, which the ouya has.

Now the above has nothing to do with what you saw at gamestop or their website. Gamestop is simply liquidating whatever stock of gamestick they have in a attempt to not get stuck with something that pretty much won't function as intended after january 7th ( I believe that's the date service will shut down in all capacity for gamestick). It's pretty much a loss for them either way, but selling them at $10 for the console and $1 for controller will net them a lil something from it. They did a similar thing while ouya was still prominent, and announced they had to fold. When that was announced and the date drew closer you could find ouyas on sale at physical stores anywhere between $20-$40 if not cheaper. All depended on the store that had physical stock of the ouya consoles.

On to a third point of interest. Only thing essentially keeping ouyas prices up high now is the fact that razer acquired their software properties, and essentially re-made the discover store for their forge console in the form of cortex. By doing this they also pledged to keep the servers open on the ouya discover store as it uses the cortex server, and seemingly allow new adopters of the defunct console to make a razer id to function on ouya on that store. The store wont get anymore new games, but the library of games it has is still accessible. The ouya page for making new ids redirects to razers id creation page indicating this possibility, though it's unknown if that's the case, as there was a recent thread of a new ouya adopter trying to get access to the discover store, but having no luck in that endeavor. I personally directed him to ninjajebus who is a ouya publishing rep at razer to see if anything could be done. Whether or not they were successful is largely unknown as they haven't posted since then on whether they had any success. That and razer seems to offer no guidance on how to do so with the discover store even though they essentially own and operate the store and server it's on.

Do you happen to know whether we will still be able to side load APK's on GameStick after January 7th? Or does that require an app from their store which I guess will be taken down along with everything else by that point? I was going to buy one tomorrow and I wanted to know this before I did so.

That I don't know honestly. If it was possible after that point then hopefully you wouldn't need a gamestick id to set it up, cause this is what happened with the ouya user I mentioned in my first reply. He was totally new to ouya, but was way late getting one as the console was pretty much abandoned by ouya publishing in the transition to being on razers development team, and in doing so new submissions for ouya ids was pretty much done for, and could no longer be made for use with ouya. This could very well be the case with gamestick as well since everything is in the process of shutting down, and submissions for a id to use and set up the console are surely cut off by now as they won't expect anyone to buy something that essentially wont have any sort of accessible material soon outside of third party apps.

1 members found this post helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by timekillergames View Post
    Well, they don't sell the OUYA at Target anymore, nor anywhere else other than in used condition. I read recently they also stopped making ForgeTV's. BUT ironically enough, GameStop still sells brand-new GameSticks, yep--they are still making them. But get this, they are under $10. Controllers are only $1. *gasp* See it here: http://m.gamestop.com/product/androi...troller/109154

I wonder why the OUYA, all the way up to the end of its life, was still around $100, when the GameStick, which is nearly the same thing, is available for significantly cheaper.

Gamestick is officially going dead in january. Store will no longer be open. But the website has been unable to buy more credits for weeks. Gamestop if its selling gamestick is selling a dead dead product. In fact you cany even flash or root or put in dev mode with the site not functioning. Ouyas discover still works fine. They moved a pretty respectable amouny of units for a new niche product under an independant name. I could easily still want some titles from its store.

1 members found this post helpful.
    Gamestick is dead.
    Ouya was bought and still exists. May not be talked about or whatever but it still exists and servers will still be active after January 7.

Let's at least set the baseline at fact.