Close
Advertise Here

NVIDIA’s next-gen Shield Android TV box leaked ahead of CES debut

NVIDIA may be getting ready to launch a new version of its Android TV-based Shield console for gaming and media streaming. The original Shield hit the streets close to two years ago, and we’ve been seeing hints suggesting a new model is on the way for months.

Now Android Police has published a set of leaked images that give us an idea of what the new hardware will look like. Spoiler alert: not that different from the original.

Android Police

The report does say that the next-gen Shield TV appears to come in two different sizes. It’s possible a larger model may have additional storage, ports, or other features, but the differences between the larger and smaller boxes are unclear at the moment. Detailed specs also aren’t available.

What we do know is that the game controller has a new design with handles that look like they’d have more surface area to grip, but an unusual angular arrangement for just about every surface except the buttons, sticks, and D-pad.

It’s likely that NVIDIA will reveal more information about the new Shield TV at the Consumer Electronics Show in January.
    The first-generation model features an NVIDIA Tegra X1 processor, 3GB of RAM, and support for 4K content. It’ll be interesting to see what kind of hardware NVIDIA stuffs into the new model, since most of the company’s Tegra chip announcement for the past few years have been around automotive systems rather than mobile or console-style devices like the company’s Shield tablet or TV box.

Source: https://liliputing.com/2016/12/nvidi...ces-debut.html

Inebriated Staff Ninja DrunkPunk's Avatar

Why does the world need a new one again?
    DrnkPnk says, "Obey The Beard!"
    I helped create a mini-game in Explosive Dinosaurs. Otakupunk played it, and now you can too!

Somebody needs to carry the torch for Android TV boxes - nobody else is stepping up
    Hmmm... good signatures are hard to come by...

Weird looking controller...
    "When I'm sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead!"- Barney Stinson

Space Cadet Pirate Moderator flamepanther's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by xanderten50 View Post
    Somebody needs to carry the torch for Android TV boxes - nobody else is stepping up
    There's the GEM Box.
    "But I don't want to go among mad people," Alice remarked.
    "Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: "We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."
    "How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
    "You must be," said the Cat, "otherwise you wouldn't have come here."

Quote Originally Posted by flamepanther View Post
    There's the GEM Box.
    Usually I scour the interwebs for anything Android TV related... and this has completely passed me by
    I don't know if that says something about my searching or the promotion behind the GEM Box - but still, I assume they aren't shouting too loudly?
    Hmmm... good signatures are hard to come by...

OUYAForum Devotee Victor Coleiro's Avatar

I guess the question is what SOC it will use. ie a tweeked X1 or an X2(or whatever they call it - probably P1 for Pascal)

It would be interesting if they use the P1 and the Switch comes out with an older X1.

GEM box? Way to pull up the most obscure box out there...

While I think the Shield 2 is not a viable idea at this time at least they look like a company that wants to try to get this Android box thing right.

Magistrate of Altered States Schizophretard's Avatar

Where is the evidence of a leak? I don't consider a mock up of a controller to be the same as a leak of a controller. Especially when no source of the image is presented. I'm skeptical that mock up was done by Nvidia because they make them look more realistic than that because when they do mock ups they also show off the graphical capabilities of their GPU's with them instead of making them look like something someone could do in Photoshop. The only thing with any merit in that article is the FCC filing.