Close
Advertise Here

Custom OUYA Cases

Has anyone here 3d printed an OUYA case, or otherwise made a non metal case to improve Bluetooth controller response?
    I have a Forge, and mainly use that these days, but still occasionally take OUYA to friends' houses, where it would be helpful to have a nonmetal case that doesn't block my controller reception.
    At one point years back, I had asked OUYA support if I could get an anthracite case to replace my aluminum one, but they responded that the sizes are not the same, and they are not compatible.
    Just looking to hear what solutions others have come up with. Did the special edition white OUYA have a plastic case that worked? What about developer consoles or the special kickstarter version?

Edit: Just saw the sticky about custom cases. Sorry for creating an extra thread lol.

The plastic case was reported to allow better WiFi and Bluetooth transmission. The dev consoles had a plastic case, and I honestly have no idea how they performed. But if you're struggling to find a case, I'd just tilt the console on its side. That seems to allow better reception between the controller and console.
    I'm not limited edition. I'm just special.

Something I've noticed about the controller to console bluetooth transmission is the fact that it doesn't seem to be the controllers fault at all. From my experience the ouya is very horrible about telling you the exact level of the batteries in your controller. In other words the ouya should notify you when your controller batteries are low and need changing. However for me the bluetooth transmission between controller and console issue only occurs somewhere around the general vicinity of 2-3 weeks before the console actually tells you the batteries in the controller need changing. Frankly the batteries are probably at such a low enough charge that the controller bluetooth connection with the console suffers cause of it, and all cause the ouya doesn't properly notify you that the batteries are at such a low point in their life usage in the controller.

Now when the batteries are changed, and are fresh nothing affects transmission. Not even the ouyas aluminum case. Wifi I can't speak for. That is definitely a weak point for ouya, and I don't personally know if a plastic casing will solve that problem. I mean my ouya is just about lined up with my router with where it sits in my entertainment center and where the router sits in my upstairs computer room, and they're within about 30ft of each other. Not much in the way of signal either yet my ouya getting a good connection is laughable. It gets poor or no reception sometimes.

Inebriated Staff Ninja DrunkPunk's Avatar

There is a thread buried over in Hack & Mods where someone tested the signals with the aluminum case and without. There was very little loss with the case in place as opposed to just letting the OUYA PCB sit out in the open.
    The main problem appears to be too many devices close to the OUYA and the crosstalk FUBARs things. Also the controller firmware needs to be up to date to help.
    DrnkPnk says, "Obey The Beard!"
    I helped create a mini-game in Explosive Dinosaurs. Otakupunk played it, and now you can too!

Follow my weirdness - > Instagram

I have a hard time believing that the case has no impact. I can swap out my ouya and Forge in the exact same spot on my TV stand (wired Ethernet, no wifi to complicate things), and the difference is like night and day. Before ouya went under, I sent them one of my controllers to have the firmware updated, so both controllers have the same version.
    I understand that the systems are completely different, and have different Bluetooth chips, but the forge also ditched the OUYA's aluminum case for a plastic one.
    And although I do not see any hard data, there is plenty of anecdotal evidence from users who fixed their issues by 3D printing a case. I also find it interesting that turning the case on its side seems to help, did the person in that thread test that out?
    My ouya sits by itself on my TV stand, with not much else around it. But for my controllers to work well, they need to be held above my coffee table within line of sight of the console. If the table is in the way, lag. If I put my feet up on the table and my knees are in the way, lag.

Inebriated Staff Ninja DrunkPunk's Avatar

Same here with the lag. I even tried drilling holes in the side of my case to let the signal get through but to no avail. I also never updated my controllers firmware, so I had assumed that was the problem. I think that some of us just got bad antennae.
    DrnkPnk says, "Obey The Beard!"
    I helped create a mini-game in Explosive Dinosaurs. Otakupunk played it, and now you can too!

Follow my weirdness - > Instagram

Sorry for committing forum necromancy here.. Just thought I'd throw in my two cents on this.

I did extensive testing of the bluetooth signal strength. I tried the mod to mount an external antennae and although it did help the wi-fi reception it did nothing for the controller lag.

Even with the updated controller firmware on the controller may have had a minor placebo effect or perhaps the hunting of a signal was a little faster. But the lag would still show up from time to time.

It wasn't until I table-flipped my Ouya operating system to switch to CM11 is when the controller response was no longer a problem. So in effect, I blame Ouya's pre-mature 4.1 android kernel on this one.

Of course this doesn't justify why some users experience no problems while others get slammed. Or does it?

Anthracite Ouya owners - If you own the last generation anthracite ouya then good news! You're using a totally different chipset Ouya never told you about hence you will never experience these problems. Ouya pulled a Razer move and quietly pushed upgrades under the rug leaving the community to fight itself like razer did it's 2014 keyboards (see kaith vs. greetech mechanical switches for citation on this).

Bluetooth/Wi-Fi signal - if the Ouya is in a congested wi-fi zone the bluetooth in both the ouya and controller with 'hunt' for a signal a lot faster then in a quiet area. This could be an explanation as to why Ouya users dating back to the developer console would have no lag issues, but others experience a 1-2 second lag. If the hunting pattern on Ouyas software is too slow or simply gives up. Guess what? lag.
    Last edited by sconfig; 02-13-2017 at 04:11 PM.
    Would you like to know more? - My Blog

Quote Originally Posted by sconfig View Post
    I did extensive testing of the bluetooth signal strength. I tried the mod to mount an external antennae and although it did help the wi-fi reception it did nothing for the controller lag.
    So based on your external antenna testing, you would not expect any other case (or turning a case on its side for that matter) to make a significant difference for Bluetooth? It seems like an external antenna would be the best case scenario.

Yeah, I did the antenna mod to my ouya a while ago and documented my results. It does work on the wireless network side of things! But the bluetooth chip does not seem to use the antenna both internal or external.

My environment is heavy wi-fi traffic so even with the Ouya totally out of its case and running on plastic pegs on my desk it didn't help a whole lot. I would however say that getting the Ouya out of its metal case would be a step in the right direction as that's exactly what the anthracite model did. The Black ouyas are just ABS plastic and that's it.
    Would you like to know more? - My Blog