Close
Advertise Here

If only Razer had set up a booth at last year's E3 parking lot

It would have gone a long way to show they still had that Ouya spirit!

Real talk though regardless of what people thought of it I thought that was a gutsy/hilarious move by Ouya and it really showed off that they were trying to do anything to make a name for themselves in an industry full of sharks. I mean you combine that with the commercial that wasn't very well executed as well as the Free the Games fund I wish people would have given it a better chance. Even the little things like office hours and the staff going out of their way to help developers get their games on their platform showed they actually genuinely cared about their product. Razer likewise doesn't seem to give a shit about the state of Forge TV and unless the old Ouya community that's still active here really campaigns to get more unique games for the console I just don't see it lasting longer than a year at this point which is a shame because even though PS4/Xbox One lets indies put games on their platform the concept that Ouya introduced was always unique in that you could actively see a game get developed and you could have an open dialogue with the content creators which was really cool.

I bought the ForgeTV hoping that in some way that would continue and maybe Razer would give out Forges to developers to help build games for them and expand Cortex but it seems they have all but disbanded the platform which is unfortunate.

Huh?
    People are trying to get games on the Forge. Developers are getting help to bring their games if they ask for it. Ouya Publishing got $5M to get Android games. What am I missing here?

Though I can't say Razer is showing any commitment to the Forge except for the update. Wouldn't make sense to update if you're killing it tomorrow BUT they aren't doing anything to show that it won't be dead either and that is a MAJOR problem. Most developers I talk to don't even know what the Forge is. I shouldn't need to educate someone on it before they can commit to it. AndroidTV is not taking off either since Google is taking the same tact. Even Chrome isn't ATV ready.

I have some ideas that could help but the parking lot isn't it. They're inside the building already. Though if the Forge was there in the parking lot of Ouya, it might make some buzz.

Also note that I said Razer. Not including the Ouya guys in that. They're still obviously TeamOuya as evidenced by the miscommunication on storage. (...and Ouya Publishing if the website is ever finished)

http://ouyaforum.com/showthread.php?...able-on-Cortex

Magistrate of Altered States Schizophretard's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Killswitch View Post
    AndroidTV is not taking off either since Google is taking the same tact. Even Chrome isn't ATV ready.
    Google is more focused on Chromecast but are still working on Android TV. There are features of Android N that are for Android TV like picture and picture. Google worked directly with Xiaomi to bring out the Mi Box which is in Walmarts next to Roku, Apple TV, etc. which is farther than the OUYA got being hidden in a corner at Target and way more farther than the Forge got in stores. It is even sitting right next to the Chromecast Ultra which helps to sale both,"Do I only want to cast in 4K or for around the same price do I want to cast in 4K while also getting the full Android TV experience that comes with $76 worth of free offers?" It almost looks like they want you to choose the Mi Box instead and they don't care which as long as you cast. As to Chrome, that makes perfect sense not being on Android TV. Google doesn't want apps in the store that require the use of a mouse and/or keyboard and there could be other changes that would be required to meet their standards. It is intentionally not there. All their apps that make sense on a TV to use with a controller and/or remote are there and they update them. Besides, Chrome can be casted to Android TV or pushed to it if you want because that has been enabled.

Quote Originally Posted by Schizophretard View Post
    Google is more focused on Chromecast but are still working on Android TV. There are features of Android N that are for Android TV like picture and picture. Google worked directly with Xiaomi to bring out the Mi Box which is in Walmarts next to Roku, Apple TV, etc. which is farther than the OUYA got being hidden in a corner at Target and way more farther than the Forge got in stores. It is even sitting right next to the Chromecast Ultra which helps to sale both,"Do I only want to cast in 4K or for around the same price do I want to cast in 4K while also getting the full Android TV experience that comes with $76 worth of free offers?" It almost looks like they want you to choose the Mi Box instead and they don't care which as long as you cast. As to Chrome, that makes perfect sense not being on Android TV. Google doesn't want apps in the store that require the use of a mouse and/or keyboard and there could be other changes that would be required to meet their standards. It is intentionally not there. All their apps that make sense on a TV to use with a controller and/or remote are there and they update them. Besides, Chrome can be casted to Android TV or pushed to it if you want because that has been enabled.
    I think Google is doing the same thing with Android TV. They just want Android running on as many TV's as possible. They are supplying Android TV software to the vendors and leaving the promotion of the product to each individual vendor. Android TV is now running on many major brand televisions, Sony, Phillips, Etc. in addition to the Shield, Mi Box, and others. Google itself I think has no interest in being in the television hardware business. I personally like the Android TV UI much better than the Fire OS or Roku (I own devices with all three OS's). It's just Android on another device just like a cellphone. To me this is a smart marketing move on Googles side.

Official OUYA Representative

1 members found this post helpful.
    Devolver has claimed that parking lot the last two years.

Thanks for that response Mr.J, that made me laugh quite a bit actually. All I was trying to get at is that the Ouya platform was still unique from the other main big 3 consoles in that aspiring devs could come make games of all shapes and sizes and get honest feedback from a community that wasn't looking for that next AAA game and wasn't going to cut you down for a work in progress. What Ouya started to do near the end before being acquired by Razer with the office hours segments, going to game jams, etc.. would have in my opinion been what could have set them apart from the other platforms that are out. Since Razer took over there has been a complete lack of transparency and that Ouya charm which I think is what has caused a sharp decline of interest in the product.