Close
Advertise Here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Administrative Queen of Evil RiotingSpectre's Avatar

1 members found this post helpful.
    I would recommend getting a Nvidia Shield Tv but waiting until Black Friday or Cyber Monday to get it. If you've waited this long to get another device then a couple more weeks won't kill you and you'll be able to get a new device for cheap along with possible other goodies like extra controllers.

thanks for the replies.

i may not get one just now as i am saving up for something else. if i can get a bit of extra dollars i may get either a forge or a shield. i'm not to sure.

Inebriated Staff Ninja DrunkPunk's Avatar

2 members found this post helpful.
    It's a nice box for the price. Not an end-all-be-all Android box, but the perks make up for the things it lacks.
    DrnkPnk says, "Obey The Beard!"
    I helped create a mini-game in Explosive Dinosaurs. Otakupunk played it, and now you can too!

3 members found this post helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by larrygmjr View Post
    I'd go with the Xiaomi Mi box it has better spec's
    Er... no it doesn't. 4K output does not make better specs...
    Quote Originally Posted by larrygmjr View Post
    If you really want a nice box and have money to spend go with Shield.
    Can't really argue with that one though....
    Hmmm... good signatures are hard to come by...

1 members found this post helpful.
    Schiz posted a video on the Mi Box. It's a low end box which benchmarked at about half what the Forge did. According to the video it runs best at 1080 and not 4k which makes sense at it's output. 4k sounds nice but it's not "better specs". It may even have issue with some intense games but that has to be tested.

It's a shame we live in a day where saying "4k" means better even if it doesn't do true 4k. PS4 Pro anyone?

The Shield outpaces the field in terms of performance because they made the best available chip and put it in their box. Anything else is up for debate. The Forge is near the top in terms of power but it's lacking other things which may or may not be part of your decision. I like my Forge but I know it's missing things. Things I may not have a use for so to me that's not much of an issue, to others it might be.

3 members found this post helpful.
    Here is a quick Forge Pro/con list
    Forge TV:
    Pro:
    Good Processor and overall HW specs,
    Runs Kodi well (90% of my use is watching video)
    was available for $99 with two controllers plus $10 credit
    Grants access to a portion of the OUYA library. YMMV based on what you have bought or not.
    My luck at Side-Loading has been pretty good. Most apps I have purchased from bundles or other 3rd party vendors have installed and run with full controller support.
    I happen to really like the Serval controllers

Cons:
    No USB Storage.
    Not the full OUYA Library (Some may not care)
    Spotty app support from some Android TV Apps, No Netflix unless you use the Phone version, HBO seems carrier limited (for me) so again had to use the Phone Version. Some of the apps from Google Play and/or Amazon don't see the Serval controllers or don't have controller support anyway.
    Less than the desired communication from Razer

Quote Originally Posted by Killswitch View Post
    It's a shame we live in a day where saying "4k" means better even if it doesn't do true 4k. PS4 Pro anyone?
    Gah, THIS. THIS EXACTLY.

As someone who owns a PS4 and have been more supportive of Playstation vs. Microsoft for a long time... I scratch my head every time they say that the PS4 Pro is 'designed to sit along side your current PS4'.

WHAT?!?!??!?

The PS4 Pro console seems like one of the most lack-luster consoles ever released. I have ZERO plans on even wanting one, let alone buying.

Ok, not to hijack thread.. I just had to get that off my chest. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by knave View Post
    Here is a quick Forge Pro/con list
    Forge TV:
    Pro:
    Good Processor and overall HW specs,
    Runs Kodi well (90% of my use is watching video)
    was available for $99 with two controllers plus $10 credit
    Grants access to a portion of the OUYA library. YMMV based on what you have bought or not.
    My luck at Side-Loading has been pretty good. Most apps I have purchased from bundles or other 3rd party vendors have installed and run with full controller support.
    I happen to really like the Serval controllers

Cons:
    No USB Storage.
    Not the full OUYA Library (Some may not care)
    Spotty app support from some Android TV Apps, No Netflix unless you use the Phone version, HBO seems carrier limited (for me) so again had to use the Phone Version. Some of the apps from Google Play and/or Amazon don't see the Serval controllers or don't have controller support anyway.
    Less than the desired communication from Razer
    This sums it up nicely I think
    Hmmm... good signatures are hard to come by...