Close
Advertise Here
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

should i get a forge?

so, OUYA is dead (im a year too late) and the forge tv is pre ordering at $160 aud. i have a few questions about the forge.
    1. is it worth the slightly bumped up price
    2. does it have the same menu style
    3. is it still developer friendly
    4. does it come with a controller
    5. does it still have the OUYA but more serious... and green.

answers are much appreciated.

By all means... NO!

Quote Originally Posted by TwentyOneGamers View Post
    so, OUYA is dead (im a year too late) and the forge tv is pre ordering at $160 aud. i have a few questions about the forge.
    Hard for me to say since I don't deal in your inflated prices on a regular basis, but I can point out that it is not remotely cutting-edge box with very little support and its main draw (for me, anyway) is the continuation of the OUYA library. See answer 5.

The main menu is AndroidTV style. When you run Cortex it's nearly exactly Discover with different backgrounds.

I can't say on that one...

Depends on if you buy the bundle with a controller.

Cortex is about 1/5 of Discover. Depending on your game preferences you may be mildly to severely disappointed in what is available.
    OUYA console to become doorstop when store server shuts down. But since it seems to be safe so far, we just need a place to collect new (and updated?) OUYA titles.
    Have you made your game sideload-able for OUYA hardware? Put it on http://itch.io, then let me know and i'll add it to a collection we can all link to.

1 members found this post helpful.

answers are much appreciated.
    1. It depends on why you are buying it - if you want a mid price Android TV box that can play some Ouya games with proper Google Play support - then it's a fairly good buy... for instance it's still one of the few places you can play Towerfall without a PC for instance. But the caveats are simple - no external storage to date, approx. a quarter of total ouya games are available, no netflix and limited support (oh, and haughty derision from Shield owners)

2. As already mentioned, it runs Android TV which may or may not be a plus point to you (it was to me) - but as soon as you launch the Cortex app you'll be in familiar territory (just with a green hue)

3. By all accounts yes (I can't comment exactly) but you have to find & enable dev options (like you would on an android phone)

4. Only if you buy a bundle that specifies a controller - otherwise it is just the box (and there is no official media remote control available for it)

5. Mostly, yes - but again there are a substantial number of titles missing official cortex support (and that doesn't appear to be changing at a pace we would like) so your mileage may vary - some games can be sideloaded and some can't, if there are specific games you want to keep playing then shout up - we can tell you if they're available or not!
    Hmmm... good signatures are hard to come by...

I've owned one since January. Let me save you some disappointment and aggravation. Just say NO!!!

If by dev friendly you mean it can be used as a dev kit like the Ouya then yes. Almost the same exact process for getting games on there and all that.
    Great in some areas, lacks in others. It's a shame with all the horsepower it has that it's being treated the way it is.

More of the older games are still coming, but I wouldn't except the games that came from launch ever make it over...
    Racin-Games, creator of Sirenium ~ Forever After ~ .. come check us out here! http://www.racin-games.com
    Forum Page: http://ouyaforum.com/showthread.php?...-Forever-After
    If you want your game/app reviewed, let me know! I'll ReviOUYA. Will also do previews and such as well. http://reviouya.wordpress.com/
    Play like me! http://ouyaforum.com/showthread.php?...imega&p=119559

3 members found this post helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by xanderten50 View Post
    1. It depends on why you are buying it - if you want a mid price Android TV box that can play some Ouya games with proper Google Play support - then it's a fairly good buy... for instance it's still one of the few places you can play Towerfall without a PC for instance. But the caveats are simple - no external storage to date, approx. a quarter of total ouya games are available, no netflix and limited support (oh, and haughty derision from Shield owners)
    ^ This.

I am happy with mine, however I really only wanted a good Android powered system for Kodi and some games. It was just gravy that about half of my OUYA purchased games carried over.
    If you know what you want this can be a good system for you. But. If you want a more Tinker-free Experience than get a Shield. For me It was worth it to get the two controller bundle for $99 US.
    Overall the Forge is better at what it does than the OUYA was.

I myself can't recommend it, merely cause of the cons listed. If you're wanting it as a gaming device.....well then as said you'll be disappointed, and it's a definite no to steer clear from. Outside of that being an android tv device idk. Again if it's for gaming then the apps even there are limited, and the specific app you download would have to support the forge, or it would be essentially be a 50/50 toss up as to whether or not the game in question you try will run or not. For the media side of it, it may be worth it, but for a more complete experience with everything...No. Can't say it's a recommended buy.

At this point in time I'd go with the Xiaomi Mi box it has better spec's and almost any game on Cortex is already on Google Play. Also you can't beat the price. If you really want a nice box and have money to spend go with Shield. Cortex offers little of Ouya's discover store. I honestly feel Forge is on the way out.