Content and structure of this book
When you purchase this book, you get:
- An easy-to-read format that uses a conversational style
- 250+ pages of step-by-step instructions using a tried-and-tested method
- Plenty of explanations and pictures (more than 80 pictures) to complement the text
- Access to the author by email if you have any question
- A 1-hour introduction video
- 8 additional video tutorials (50+ minutes in total) to help you with the most challenging topics covered in the book
- Weekly updates on new topics
- A list of the learning objectives at the start of each chapter.
- Step-by-step activities.
- Opportunities to engage in deeper learning and problem-solving skills through challenges at the end of each chapter.
- Quizzes to test your knowledge (with associated solutions).
- Printable cheat-sheets for shortcuts, and best coding practice.
The content of each chapter is as follows:
- Chapter 2 helps you to code your first script. You will learn how to code following best coding practices, debug your code, and also avoid common errors.
- Chapter 3 gets you to improve your scripting skills, enhance your game and add more interaction. You will learn to implement a scoring system, to detect collisions, and to load new levels.
- Chapter 4 explains how you can create and update a user interface for your game (e.g., displaying images and messages onscreen) using scripting.
- Chapter 5 explains how you can polish-up your game. You will add a splash-screen, a simple inventory system, sound effects, as well as a mini-map.
- Chapter 6 explains how to add Non-Player Characters (NPCs) with Artificial Intelligence (AI). You will configure each NPC and get them to either follow the player or walk along a simple path of your choice, and also detect collision with them.
- Chapter 7 provides answers to Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) (e.g., scripting, audio, AI, or user interface)