Close
Advertise Here
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

2 members found this post helpful.

Heya Launcher - Ouya Alternative Launcher with Parental Controls

Hi,

I'm Fabrício Ramos, a brazilian Ouya user that was somehow very active here on forums. Always liked the concept of easing the process of publishing a game on a console. Too bad the hype was gone an console looks like being at end of its lifespan, but anyway i've ever wished doing something to the console since i had one in my hands. Because my nephew and the need to restrict access to him, I could finally release something for Ouya!

HEYA Launcher is an alternative launcher for Ouya, which the main unique feature is Child Mode: it brings to you the possibility of parental controls, restricting access to inapropriate games/apps or system areas that could mess everything.

Interested in giving it a try? You can download it from links below. It consists of two APKs, install "Heya Launcher" first to ensure everything will work alright.

Heya Launcher: https://github.com/frpnit/HeyaLaunch...ncher-v1.0.apk
    Heya Child Mode Observer: https://github.com/frpnit/HeyaLaunch...yaCMO-v1.0.apk

You can visit Github for source code here: https://github.com/frpnit/HeyaLauncher

Ironically, HEYA is based on an open-sourced launcher made for FireTV! Because its interface was the closest thing i was looking for to this project. Curious? Check it at: https://github.com/sphinx02/FireStarter

FEATURES

• A basic, clean and sleek interface, with visuals that had some resemblance with standard Ouya launcher.
    • Everything should work with stock Ouya - no need for ROOT.
    • Language options: English and Brazilian Portuguese.
    • Child Mode that restricts: games/apps(by hiding them); Ouya launcher home access(will always send you back to Heya); lauching and downloading games/apps from "You May Also Like" section on System Overlay (both aren't allowed); access to System and Ouya areas like Discover, Manage, etc.;
    • Lets you customize: launcher's name, icon size, icon appearance order, language, BG image customization.
    • Searches for paired and turned on/plugged controller at boot. If nothing detected, launches Controller Pairing after one minute. HID devices like mouse and keyboard will not be taken in account.
    • Can run one game/app automatically at launcher's startup.
    • Direct access to some important Ouya Function Screens, like Discover or Manage.
    • Can show/hide Android System Apps if needed (note: Google Play is considered by launcher as a normal app and not a system one).
    • Export and Import settings in case of backup / resetting needs.

Be sure to read about Child Mode on its settings dialog in HEYA. It explains everything that happens when entering Child Mode, how to exit and everything you need to know.

SCREENSHOTS

Home Screen:

App Overlay:

System Menu Overlay:

System screen:

Settings screen:

Settings - Hidden apps:

TWO APKs? WHY?

Believe me, i just wanted to avoid it as much as you, but at the end it was inevitable. At least i couldn't find another solution. The service that takes care of Child Mode functions needs to run apart because Ouya system just KILLS 3rd party launchers everytime one execute games/apps from "You May Also Like" section on "System Menu" overlay. If the service was embedded on same launcher's APK, it would be killed aswell so it would have been a Child Mode breach.

TRANSLATIONS

Would be cool having translations for other languages than just English and Brazilian Portuguese. Or even suggesting better phrasing for English, since i don't have the best english knowledge. If someone has some interest on this, just grab strings.xml file and do the translation uppon that:

Heya Launcher Strings: strings.xml
    Heya Child Mode Observer Strings: strings.xml

You can then sent/talk to me via PM or email: frpnit@gmail.com

FINAL NOTES

Making this launcher was a big lesson to me - I've never really programmed in Java, and things got worse because i had to learn some Android specifics. Of course, i've started uppon a work from someone else, but it was still a challenge bigger than i thought it would be. I tried many things. I really mean MANY. But being able to do such an app, was really rewarding. I'm very happy and proud of myself

Ah, and for those who ends up trying it: I hope you enjoy my work! And sorry about my english

Child mode. Who needs that. Let 'em play games like Splatterhouse

So this is the secret project...not bad.

Pretty cool project. If you rebrand it a little, it could easily get some extended life on ouya everywhere and the forge.
    Nostalgia 2.5.9 is published in Discover

Inebriated Staff Ninja DrunkPunk's Avatar

Slick looking. Great job putting it together! I am interested to see what everyone does with this.
    DrnkPnk says, "Obey The Beard!"
    I helped create a mini-game in Explosive Dinosaurs. Otakupunk played it, and now you can too!

Follow my weirdness - > Instagram

Looks nice!
    You might get a few complaints from TeamOUYA over making it a bit "too" much like the OUYA dashboard, (I imagine there are copyright/design patents on the exact style of their dashboard..?!) but otherwise I like the way it looks, so good going!
    Jayenkai : Making unpopular games for over two and a half decades!
    OUYA/Cortex/Android TV compatible .apks available here.

It look awesome!

But its to late! I flashed my Ouya with Cyanogenmod and without OuyaAnywhere.

Many thanks, guys! Since i'm not really a programmer, but a graphic designer, you can't imagine how really proud i am of what i acomplished, even if it's not perfect (at least, at programming point of view, sure it's not ;P).
    I was fixing all the mess i did on github repo, and now everything is fine. If nyaone tried downloading and couldn't do, please retry now because links above are working again.

Quote Originally Posted by dra6onfire View Post
    Pretty cool project. If you rebrand it a little, it could easily get some extended life on ouya everywhere and the forge.
    Well, i guess it could be easily modified for both situations, but since i have just Ouya and no other device, i won't de able to develop further than Ouya itself. But if anyone wants to test, go for it

Quote Originally Posted by Jayenkai View Post
    Looks nice!
    You might get a few complaints from TeamOUYA over making it a bit "too" much like the OUYA dashboard, (I imagine there are copyright/design patents on the exact style of their dashboard..?!) but otherwise I like the way it looks, so good going!
    Well, my goal was to make something that one could use and think "Yeah, i'm on Ouya". But even so, my launcher has its own appearance, despite the similarities. It shares some elements, but not everything. It's a complex discussion anyway; at least i'm not making profits on this thing. If Team Ouya complains about, well it's a matter of changing visual elements.

Yeah, I'm more worried about Razer, than OUYA. I don't think TeamOUYA will be all that bothered one way or the other, but Razer...
    Consider that Razer have now pretty much replaced the OUYA hardware with their own.
    So Razer definitely didn't pay all that money for the hardware.
    They, instead, paid the money for the games, the database, and ... the software. And you've just cloned the software.

Best bet, as with all these things, is to ask. Officehours@ouya.tv still seem to occasionally answer my emails, even if it does sometimes take a few days

I don't think it's anything panic worthy, I just wouldn't want to see all your effort ruined just because of what is essentially a "skin".
    Jayenkai : Making unpopular games for over two and a half decades!
    OUYA/Cortex/Android TV compatible .apks available here.

Quote Originally Posted by Jayenkai View Post
    Yeah, I'm more worried about Razer, than OUYA. I don't think TeamOUYA will be all that bothered one way or the other, but Razer...
    Consider that Razer have now pretty much replaced the OUYA hardware with their own.
    So Razer definitely didn't pay all that money for the hardware.
    They, instead, paid the money for the games, the database, and ... the software. And you've just cloned the software.

Best bet, as with all these things, is to ask. Officehours@ouya.tv still seem to occasionally answer my emails, even if it does sometimes take a few days

I don't think it's anything panic worthy, I just wouldn't want to see all your effort ruined just because of what is essentially a "skin".
    Razer paid for the games but isn't moving the games to Forge directly and are instead using OUYANowhere. Interesting..........
    I don't think there will be that much of an issue but better to ask.

Don't know if there is still some interest, but anyway:

Maybe some of you can remember, my nephew softbricked my Ouya and then i've decided to leave original firmware and jump to Cyanogen. After jumping, I started to adjust HEYA so it could work on Cyanogen as well. So here comes the greatness of Cyanogen: being rooted and with SU access right out of the box, it allows me to have some more flexibility to 'emulate' ouya functions or even implementing new ones, like reboot or power off functions. I did some hacks so with Heya there is no home button with original controller, and using volume broadcasting, i could manage a way to pop up an overlay, no matter on wich app one is. This is such a ugly hack, but important thing is, it works. Working on Eject USB issue, seems i will have to inject touch input through SU commands to achieve this one.

Good thing is that probably this version would work on any device with KitKat, rooted and with SuperUser access. Maybe with some little specific code, it could work on lollipop or marshmallow too.

Things are slow, though, given my... limited programming knowledge, regular work and some other things. But i have a goal to achieve and will not stop before it's done

Cheers,
    Fabrício.