Close
Advertise Here

Ouya Freezes/Hangs After Connecting External Hard Drive

Hello, I just recently moved all of my backups off of my 2TB external hard drive to a new external hard drive, and then formatted the drive to FAT32 for use with my Ouya. However, when I plug it in, the Ouya displays a popup that says it's checking the disk for inconsistencies, and then after about 30 seconds I just get a black screen. When plugging it in from the Storage Settings menu, instead of getting a black screen it simply freezes. My Ouya has the latest update, and I know the harddrive isn't going bad yet, so I'm wondering what could be causing this.
    I'm a proud Ouya owner and developer!

One of my Ouya exclusives has started development, you can check out the dev log here:

Chomp Hoppers Dev Log

Yep, Chomp Hoppers has gone from having a PC prototype to being fully exclusive, thanks to me not being able to meet the Adventure Jam Deadline. Expect more impressive updates after Ludum Dare.

Inebriated Staff Ninja DrunkPunk's Avatar

I have an externally powered 2TB Seagate formatted to FAT32 and I have the same issue. Some HDDs just don't work well with Android. Just the way it is it seems. :/
    DrnkPnk says, "Obey The Beard!"
    I helped create a mini-game in Explosive Dinosaurs. Otakupunk played it, and now you can too!

Follow my weirdness - > Instagram

Dang, that really sucks. I was hoping to be able to expand my OUYA's storage capacity, as 8GB is way, WAY too small for me (I keep having to wrestle with installing/uninstalling apps just to try a new app)...

EDIT: Well, I found out that NTFS and EXT4 file systems are also compatible with the OUYA. Even though I had a couple of reasons to go with FAT32 (being able to share the same drive with my Wii and being able to plug the drive into a Windows machine in case of the incredibly rare chance I needed to), I decided to format the 2TB drive to EXT4, and it worked! I'm going to move the media files I had on the drive before back on and make sure it still functions.
    Last edited by GravityGamesInteractive; 05-09-2016 at 09:53 PM. Reason: Solved the problem!...sort of...
    I'm a proud Ouya owner and developer!

One of my Ouya exclusives has started development, you can check out the dev log here:

Chomp Hoppers Dev Log

Yep, Chomp Hoppers has gone from having a PC prototype to being fully exclusive, thanks to me not being able to meet the Adventure Jam Deadline. Expect more impressive updates after Ludum Dare.

OUYA Developer Eldon.McGuinness's Avatar

EXT3 should work as well and I think the WII USB loaders work with it too, not sure if ext4 is an option for the wii, been out of that scene for a LONG while. Additionally, you can use ext2fsd to mount ext2/3/4 in windows.
    Last edited by Eldon.McGuinness; 05-10-2016 at 02:04 AM.