Close
Advertise Here

[Razer Forge TV] What does Alt+Print Screen + i really do?

I'm fooling around with my Forge TV since I got it and I quickly discover that the Alt + Print Screen + i keys combo used on Ouya to reboot into Recovery also works here but in a slightly different way.

Since the Forge TV recovery doesn't seem to have a graphical user interface, the console just reboots but soon after, you can see the optimizing apps process familiar to Android phone owners as if the "wipe cache" and "wipe Dalvik cache" commands had been entered in Recovery Mode.

Am I correct, here?

And what else this non graphic stock recovery can do? If I place a zip file named "update.zip" at the internal memory root, and hit Alt+Print Screen +i on my USB keyboard, would it be flashed ?

I bet Eldon will be interested in this news.
    "On a mountain of skulls, in the castle of pain, I sat on a throne of blood! What was will be! What is will be no more! Now is the season of EVIL!"- Vigo the Carpathian

OUYA Developer Eldon.McGuinness's Avatar

1 members found this post helpful.
    It sounds like the combo does initiate a recovery mode reboot, but then that "mode" might have been tweaked to just do a clear of the cache as you mentioned. I guess the next big question is what happens if the recovery partition is corrupted or broken during an update…

It is very disappointing that the device does not have a GUI that aids in fixing a botched update/tinkering. Really that was one of the most annoying things about the Ouya device that turned off MANY hackers was the fact that it was so easy to brick. One would think Forge would have learned that and built in a recovery button that could be pressed, which then would load a GUI and accept a sideload or let you browse to a flash file much the way the Ouya recovery menu did.

O well *SMH*
    Last edited by Eldon.McGuinness; 01-23-2016 at 08:08 PM.

1 members found this post helpful.
    It turns out there is a real Recovery Mode.
    https://insider.razerzone.com/index....ery-mode.5942/

But as my mini keyboard has no home key I can't access it right now.
    I might just purchase a new one as the main reason why I want to access recovery is to flash Xposed framework and install a module that enable audiocast to somehow mimic the Shield built-in functionality of bluetooth audiocasting.

Quote Originally Posted by Eldon.McGuinness View Post
    It sounds like the combo does initiate a recovery mode reboot, but then that "mode" might have been tweaked to just do a clear of the cache as you mentioned. I guess the next big question is what happens if the recovery partition is corrupted or broken during an update…

It is very disappointing that the device does not have a GUI that aids in fixing a botched update/tinkering. Really that was one of the most annoying things about the Ouya device that turned off MANY hackers was the fact that it was so easy to brick. One would think Forge would have learned that and built in a recovery button that could be pressed, which then would load a GUI and accept a sideload or let you browse to a flash file much the way the Ouya recovery menu did.

O well *SMH*
    Quote Originally Posted by Oldkid Livegen View Post
    It turns out there is a real Recovery Mode.
    https://insider.razerzone.com/index....ery-mode.5942/

But as my mini keyboard has no home key I can't access it right now.
    I might just purchase a new one as the main reason why I want to access recovery is to flash Xposed framework and install a module that enable audiocast to somehow mimic the Shield built-in functionality of bluetooth audiocasting.
    Yeah man I'm trying to do this but 'Home' is not working..... all I get to is No command, trying to factory reset this way because ever since the Marshmallow update I'm getting random blue blinking screen and thinking that it got corrupted during update or something. Razer wants me to send it to them so I'm giving this a shot first.
    <Batman> Going to pitch So Many Steve to Extend. Filo with different hairstyles for each of the 27 Steves we have