Close
Advertise Here
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Inebriated Staff Ninja DrunkPunk's Avatar

1 members found this post helpful.

The DrunkPunk Reviews: Mechanic Escape

"In a world oppressed by ruthless machines, a stronghold full of die-hard TV-sets resists the persecution. Your lost friends and the lack of resources drive you to take action against the extinction. Brave the dangers and go find your comrades to rescue your species!"
    From Playdigious

You are a platforming TV on an all-out race to save all your smaller television brethren. Less race and more sprint though as you hurtle through the stages avoiding death, not to mention being killed or eaten by the gnarly "bosses". It's like a Sonic and Super Meat Boy sat down to get old school on a game of Pitfall and someone thought it would be great if all of them were thrown into a blender.

You're going to die.
    The die-and-retry mechanic has been around for...well forever, and it's force is strong with this one. Sometimes though you will fly through a level and manage to avoid death and complete it just by the skin of your teeth, and that's a pretty sweet feeling. Learning to time your jumps and wall jumps is key. Memorization is also key here so if you die, don't forget just how you died. Every time you do die you will start back at the beginning too, so probably not the best game to be playing under the influence. Heh.

Is that a giant TV eating cloud? Yes, yes it is.
    There are 80 levels spread out over 4 stages. Each stage has a boss that will pop into the level and attempt to end your run in their own unique way. These are prefaced by a giant exclamation point so that you can know to haul ass, and haul it you shall because when they bosses get close they move even faster. This makes for lots of panic initiated deaths, which make me laugh; especially when you get in a cannon and just shoot yourself into the waiting maw of murder. Or laser of murder, whatever you prefer. You can also use whatever controller you prefer to kill yourself because this game supports pretty much any sort. Handy!

Speaking of cannons, there are many devices to help (and hinder, naturally) you move around the levels and collect your friends. As though the lasers and baddies along with the actual obstacles didn't fry you often enough. Other than the aforementioned cannons there are treadmills, sticky goo, gravity plates, slides, swingy-things, the ubiquitous falling platform and a few others. You've got 5 big TVs and 50 small TVs to nab throughout each level. The amount you finish with dictates your score for that level out of 3 stars. The game also notes your time and how many times you died to get it. You are also rewarded with a new skin for every 10 levels you complete. This adds to the play value if you are an item hoarder and just have to unlock them all, and the replay value if you have an obsessive need to make sure that you see 3 stars on every level. The stage screen just looks prettier that way dammit!

Speaking of pretty, I love the boss art. They are a rather cuddly form of menacing. I also enjoyed the little animations on the big & small TVs when they are collected, and how the big ones float around you after you find them. The facial expressions on our dude are also nifty. The music isn't anything aurally stimulating but it flows well with the gameplay and is not obtrusive, just like it should be.

Sounds neat! Complaints?
    The controls are my main complaint. They are...sloppy? Loose? Imprecise? Laggy? Pick your favorite but they just feel off. Not that you don't get used to it, though you shouldn't have to get used to poor controls. Very frustrating.
    The game also has a good deal of lag when a lot of elements are on the screen. To check this I watched some videos of it being played on the computer and even though the Android version has been toned down a bit, there is still noticeable lag. I am sure if this were optimized for the Tegra 3 or was on a more powerful machine it wouldn't be an issue, but on the OUYA it is sometimes.

The Verdict.
    If you were a fan of the Sonic games, Bit.Trip Runner, Super Meat Boy or just fast-paced platformers in general, then this game is right up your alley. There is even some replay value thrown in to keep you coming back for more punishment too. If you don't mind a little lag along the way.

2.5/5 Stars
    DrnkPnk says, "Obey The Beard!"
    I helped create a mini-game in Explosive Dinosaurs. Otakupunk played it, and now you can too!

Poor Controls as the main complaint for a plattformer? Wow...thats a death blow for a game in that genre.
    IN PIXEL I TRUST

Inebriated Staff Ninja DrunkPunk's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pat1986 View Post
    Poor Controls as the main complaint for a plattformer? Wow...thats a death blow for a game in that genre.
    It's something you can get used to and plan for, but it was very annoying for me.

I'm also not sure if it was due to the OUYA or if it's meant to be like that either. If I have time I plan on testing it on my Anthracite OUYA just to experiment.
    DrnkPnk says, "Obey The Beard!"
    I helped create a mini-game in Explosive Dinosaurs. Otakupunk played it, and now you can too!

1 members found this post helpful.
    I even thought my controller was low on battery. Yep, laggy (or more generally off) controls are what made me let this game collecting virtual dust in my HD.
    Most of the time I keep my OUYA offline: please consider it before inserting a phone-home/always online DRM in your game. If you still plan to do so, please declare it. You don't want pirates, I don't want to be frauded.

http://ouyaforum.com/showthread.php?12041-The-list-of-offline-working-games

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffry84 View Post
    I even thought my controller was low on battery. Yep, laggy (or more generally off) controls are what made me let this game collecting virtual dust in my HD.
    hmmm... makes me glad I never bought it honestly
    Racin-Games, creator of Sirenium ~ Forever After ~ .. come check us out here! http://www.racin-games.com
    Forum Page: http://ouyaforum.com/showthread.php?...-Forever-After
    If you want your game/app reviewed, let me know! I'll ReviOUYA. Will also do previews and such as well. http://reviouya.wordpress.com/
    Play like me! http://ouyaforum.com/showthread.php?...imega&p=119559

Official OUYA Representative

Weird, we had no lag in testing, I'm wondering if you are playing off the HD or using a non 1.4 controller or aluminum OUYA.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. J View Post
    Weird, we had no lag in testing, I'm wondering if you are playing off the HD or using a non 1.4 controller or aluminum OUYA.
    Quote Originally Posted by Killswitch View Post
    Using the anthracite and I don't seem to have any lag.
    I'm using an aluminium 0x0104 controller with which I haven't experienced any other lag issue with any game. Laggy might not be the best word, maybe floaty fits better; in any case it gives the sensation is that it's out of coordination, and the game requires timing.
    Most of the time I keep my OUYA offline: please consider it before inserting a phone-home/always online DRM in your game. If you still plan to do so, please declare it. You don't want pirates, I don't want to be frauded.

http://ouyaforum.com/showthread.php?12041-The-list-of-offline-working-games

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffry84 View Post
    I'm using an aluminium 0x0104 controller with which I haven't experienced any other lag issue with any game. Laggy might not be the best word, maybe floaty fits better; in any case it gives the sensation is that it's out of coordination, and the game requires timing.
    Didn't have that issue either.