Close
Advertise Here

JNK Pool - AGameAWeek/Jayenkai

If you've played today's Beta Collexion game, Rolly Balls, you'll probably come away thinking "Hmm, those are nice pool/snooker ball physics.."
    Because that's exactly what I thought.
    Once Beta Collexion was done, and NeonPlat's Cosmic Adventure was nicely finished off, I took to expanding on the pool physics of Rolly Balls, and have since come up with a fairly stable Snooker/Pool engine.

(Ooops.. I still haven't even drawn a Cue, yet!!!)

For the past couple of weeks, I've been tweaking and retweaking the ball engine, and am now about to start work on the whole logic of Pool and Snooker, which .. Well, that's the complicated bit! Snooker and Pool are full of those niggly little player-decided quirks.
    It's like coding Monopoly, and having to take into account the player-added rules of "Tax goes into a pot, Free Parking wins it." Rules that aren't in the book, but that have become standards amongst the players.
    Teaching rules of play to games can be tricky, which is why you'll notice most of my games going off in odd tangents!!
    This time, though, I think I need to put the effort in, and get everything working in an expected way.

It might not appear for a good month or so, as I've a lot of extra work to put into the game, and that's before I'm even considering doing an AI player.. yikes!!
    But hopefully it shouldn't be too long.

JNK Pool is coming, and it'll be fully playable on your OUYA, or your Forge, or whatever it is that happens to be the in thing by the time the game's finished
    Last edited by Jayenkai; 12-17-2015 at 07:24 PM. Reason: BORKIED BBCODE
    Jayenkai : Making unpopular games for over two and a half decades!
    OUYA/Cortex/Android TV compatible .apks available here.

Inebriated Staff Ninja DrunkPunk's Avatar

A JNK game with an AI player?! Oo la la
    DrnkPnk says, "Obey The Beard!"
    I helped create a mini-game in Explosive Dinosaurs. Otakupunk played it, and now you can too!

Follow my weirdness - > Instagram

You'd be surprised how many of my games include background AI.
    Pretty much any of my games featuring randomly generated levels have little AI players that run through to make sure they're beatable!

Making a 100% perfect AI isn't the hard part.. The hard part is scaling it back so the AI player seems like a human!!

Inebriated Staff Ninja DrunkPunk's Avatar

Yeah, especially in a physics based game. The computer can easily know the perfect angles where we lowly humans have to rely on our eyeball meat.
    DrnkPnk says, "Obey The Beard!"
    I helped create a mini-game in Explosive Dinosaurs. Otakupunk played it, and now you can too!

Follow my weirdness - > Instagram

"Foul!"

Has taken an alarming amount of work to put into practice, and that's only 9-ball.. 9-ball has few rules, other than "hit the lowest ball first".
    Other pool varieties have much more complicated rules to put into place, and then there's Snooker.. .. Arrgh!!!

Anyhoo, the "Foul" function is at least running, now, so from here on it should be a case of coding each of the rules, and ensuring they don't overlap each other.
    .. hopefully!

And then the AI. I haven't started that, yet!

I read this as JNK Poo.
    http://www.ccshgames.com - Updated 1/10/2016
    PC & Mac games - Updated more frequently
    OUYA games I've had a hand in: Slashers: The Power Battle (voice actor), Battle High 2 (casting/marketing director, voice actor), Astra Etherium (voice actor)
    OUYA games published: Shady's Poopong: 22nd Anniversary Edition, Chomperman