Close
Advertise Here

Will the GM license expire?

A while back I bought GameMaker: Studio Professional with the Android Export module from a Humble Bundle deal. I've yet to use it, but I plan to use it sometime in the future. To my understanding, the license won't expire, so I don't have to rush and force myself to learn how the program works. Am I right or am I wrong?

On a separate note, where's the best place to go and learn about GameMaker?

Do you have to go through Humble to activate your copy or YoYo Games?

I can’t say for certain, but I believe that you can always download it from YoYo Games’ site and just use your activation key when you install it. If you have to go through Humble you should probably go ahead and redeem it, just in case.

GameMaker has some tutorials included in the download when you start a project (you will see them in the tabs at the top). There are also a few tutorials on YouTube of course, but admittedly I haven’t spent enough time with either since Unity better suited my needs at the time.

YoYoGames will have the key tied to your account (assuming you registered it), so it should be available for a good long time.
    However they are on the cusp of launching a new product, so don't expect a lot of meaningful updates to this version over what's already there.
    OUYA console to become doorstop when store server shuts down. But since it seems to be safe so far, we just need a place to collect new (and updated?) OUYA titles.
    Have you made your game sideload-able for OUYA hardware? Put it on http://itch.io, then let me know and i'll add it to a collection we can all link to.

Quote Originally Posted by xAD View Post
    However they are on the cusp of launching a new product.
    Waitwhat.
    http://www.ccshgames.com - Updated 1/10/2016
    PC & Mac games - Updated more frequently
    OUYA games I've had a hand in: Slashers: The Power Battle (voice actor), Battle High 2 (casting/marketing director, voice actor), Astra Etherium (voice actor)
    OUYA games published: Shady's Poopong: 22nd Anniversary Edition, Chomperman

The next version of GameMaker, not something entirely new.

Since they haven't even announced it yet, it's not likely to be next month or anything. Just saying if you've been saving for a year to get one of those $300 export modules you might want to hold off for a little longer...
    OUYA console to become doorstop when store server shuts down. But since it seems to be safe so far, we just need a place to collect new (and updated?) OUYA titles.
    Have you made your game sideload-able for OUYA hardware? Put it on http://itch.io, then let me know and i'll add it to a collection we can all link to.

Oh okay, gotcha. I the whole package so I'm fine. I thought you meant they were discontinuing Studio.
    http://www.ccshgames.com - Updated 1/10/2016
    PC & Mac games - Updated more frequently
    OUYA games I've had a hand in: Slashers: The Power Battle (voice actor), Battle High 2 (casting/marketing director, voice actor), Astra Etherium (voice actor)
    OUYA games published: Shady's Poopong: 22nd Anniversary Edition, Chomperman

Quote Originally Posted by Chii_Dev View Post
    Do you have to go through Humble to activate your copy or YoYo Games?

I can’t say for certain, but I believe that you can always download it from YoYo Games’ site and just use your activation key when you install it. If you have to go through Humble you should probably go ahead and redeem it, just in case.

GameMaker has some tutorials included in the download when you start a project (you will see them in the tabs at the top). There are also a few tutorials on YouTube of course, but admittedly I haven’t spent enough time with either since Unity better suited my needs at the time.
    I can't remember. I installed GameMaker when I bought it. With license expiration I mean like with antivirus programs that show paywalls to renew the license after a year or so. I may need to check because I don't think GameMaker installed with demos. All of the tabs are empty.

As long as you still have your activation key my guess is that you're going to be fine; if you have the time you may want to install it just to confirm.