Close
Advertise Here
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

1 members found this post helpful.

Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath 50% Off Until July 29th

50% Off

$2.99 $1.50

Unleash the wrath.

I finally got around to playing this. It's could to see that game of this scale is capable of being on the ouya. Sadly it came a bit late to the party. Its a solid adventure shooter with plenty of challenge and substance and a good price. It shows its age, but it was a game i probably wouldve never otherwise had played. If only the ouya had been more successful, more comperible titles would've shown up.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I'd actually say stay away from the OUYA version (IF you have any other means to play it, like an Xbox or a PC) since it just barely runs it at the very lowest settings. I bought it a few months ago and felt so disappointed with the framerate and general performance that I never went back to it. I can't remember if this was on my faulty OUYA or my new cool one so... Maybe I've said too much.
    Play like Starfighter (currently featuring 150 great OUYA titles, 40 of which are completely free)
    73 OUYA games beaten (and counting)
    32 free to watch documentaries (and counting)

I remember you said so a while back as well. You said people shouldn't expect to max it out, but to run it at a realistic level of detail. So I bought it and tried all settings at all values, and... the realistic level of detail is "Lowest". It might run on slightly higher if the player is satisfied with <30fps though... Hm. But I've watched a few gameplay videos of the game on youtube as well and no one has managed to run it satisfactory on even medium settings. What's your secret?
    Last edited by Starfighter; 07-21-2015 at 10:25 PM.
    Play like Starfighter (currently featuring 150 great OUYA titles, 40 of which are completely free)
    73 OUYA games beaten (and counting)
    32 free to watch documentaries (and counting)

I never touched the settings actually, so no secret to tell. I don't know if the Anthracite makes a difference but since I switched to it, haven't seen as much slowdown on some things. Doubt that makes a difference so....... dunno

I've had no slowdown. But attempts at cranking up the resolution do effect the frame rate. Doesn't make it slower for me, just makes it seem less fluid. Like it skips frames of animation. I didn't mean to say it was perfect, but it does push ouya's boundaries.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Inebriated Staff Ninja DrunkPunk's Avatar

I may have to get this now.

How is the DRM?
    DrnkPnk says, "Obey The Beard!"
    I helped create a mini-game in Explosive Dinosaurs. Otakupunk played it, and now you can too!

Follow my weirdness - > Instagram

Administrative Queen of Evil RiotingSpectre's Avatar

The game doesn't contain any DRM. However, I wouldn't say it's a purchase hence what I said in the official thread:

Quote Originally Posted by RiotingSpectre
    I just beat the game and am disappointed. I wasn't having fun from start to finish because the game is repetitive, barren, unrewarding, and pretty shallow to boot. It definitely has a high production value, but that didn't save this game from being something I wouldn't recommend unless you're the most desperate kind of OUYA game out there that needs to further justify their purchase in the console itself by buying all of Discover. If I were to review the game then I'd give it a two out of five, but let me break it down for you all.

Positives:
    - Great visuals
    - Great length
    - Good weapon variety
    - Good amount of options to change how the game looks & plays

Neutral:
    - Okay soundtrack
    - Okay voice acting

Negatives:
    - Numerous problems with rope climbing such as being unable to let go
    - The final boss is completely underwhelming
    - No memorable characters aside from Stranger
    - Poor collision when jumping
    - Repetitive gameplay
    - Completely sporadic difficulty
    - Most of the game takes place in a wasteland which is barren, dull, and completely uninteresting after a while
    - Underused hiding mechanic since there's never any foliage.
    - Some weapons such as the Stunkz & Spark Stunkz will never get used because they're useless unless you like wasting time and taking damage
    - You're never rewarded for your efforts despite a lot of the game being centered around collecting bounties
    - Very few upgrades for Stranger and the best ones can't be accessed unless you know a password to a secret door hidden in one of the towns
    - Below average enemy variety despite the length of the game
    - No map which means you may get lost for minutes on end multiple times

I could write down more, but that's all you need to know to determine whether or not you'd like to purchase the game.