Close
Advertise Here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Inebriated Staff Ninja DrunkPunk's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Eldon.McGuinness View Post
    Just to play Devil's advocate here for a second, who would be reviewing these messages to ensure they are appropriate and not someone just typing in hate speech or other less than favourable things?
    Quote Originally Posted by RiotingSpectre View Post
    I imagine a filter would be put in place for all caps, harsh language, flooding, and any other potential things that shouldn't be shown. Furthermore, I doubt that there would be enough where someone can't take 30 minutes out of their harsh day of doing nothing while getting paid to where it would cause an issue.
    That's also where a downvote system would work well. Could also do something along the lines of automatically deleting comments with too many downvotes or that have been been up for a set amount of time after being downvoted.
    DrnkPnk says, "Obey The Beard!"
    I helped create a mini-game in Explosive Dinosaurs. Otakupunk played it, and now you can too!

Magistrate of Altered States Schizophretard's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DrunkPunk View Post
    That's also where a downvote system would work well. Could also do something along the lines of automatically deleting comments with too many downvotes or that have been been up for a set amount of time after being downvoted.
    Maybe some things on the user end like parental controls for cussing, only allowing ones to show with thumbs up, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Schizophretard View Post
    Maybe some things on the user end like parental controls for cussing, only allowing ones to show with thumbs up, etc.
    Excellent ideas.
    I helped create a mini-game in Explosive Dinosaurs. Otakupunk played it, and now you can too!

Administrative Queen of Evil RiotingSpectre's Avatar

As for the voting topic in this thread. A weighted sum of helpful to unhelpful ratio would be good enough. It, however, wouldn't be in affect until a month so that new comments don't immediately get hidden because of downvotes or voting abuse. If the ratio is poor enough after this set amount of time then it will automatically get trashed. I could go into more detail or give variations to the idea, but you get the point.

Quote Originally Posted by Warzard View Post

Why they haven't done this already is odd, since it's a pretty standard practice.
    In the company's defense, this was the only real opportunity for them to implement such an idea. Sure, they could have done it in the past, but they decided to have someone create a website for them that was beyond primitive and refused to make any changes thus far.

Waiting a month would mean that offensive and ridiculous comments would just sit there. There's always going to be abuse, no matter what anyone tries to do, and in this instance it would be good to err on the side of caution from a business standpoint.

Quote Originally Posted by DrunkPunk View Post
    Waiting a month would mean that offensive and ridiculous comments would just sit there. There's always going to be abuse, no matter what anyone tries to do, and in this instance it would be good to err on the side of caution from a business standpoint.
    Ok, than now we need the guidelines and rules for the comments, and a "report post" button for those who don't follow them. Swears, hate speach, YouTube-like BS (read any comment there and you'll know what I mean) and similar stuff should all be reported, so that they don't stay there for too long.
    Most of the time I keep my OUYA offline: please consider it before inserting a phone-home/always online DRM in your game. If you still plan to do so, please declare it. You don't want pirates, I don't want to be frauded.

http://ouyaforum.com/showthread.php?12041-The-list-of-offline-working-games

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffry84 View Post
    Ok, than now we need the guidelines and rules for the comments, and a "report post" button for those who don't follow them. Swears, hate speach, YouTube-like BS (read any comment there and you'll know what I mean) and similar staff should all be reported, so that they don't stay there for too long.
    Agreed.

OUYA Developer Eldon.McGuinness's Avatar

One thing that I did not see mentioned was the fact that people do not all speak english, this means the console will have to either have a comment language section—to pick and choose what languages one would like to see on the device—or it would have to just use the language the console is configured for to select the language.

This also means the job of filtering comments would get that much harder, it is hard enough to regex out bad words in one language without hitting false positives, adding in other languages will make it that much more hectic.

I'm not saying this is not a great idea, but it definitely needs to be fleshed out a bit. The fact that you can still only rate games via the OUYA Overlay is a daft issue that should be fixed before this IMHO.

Magistrate of Altered States Schizophretard's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Eldon.McGuinness View Post
    The fact that you can still only rate games via the OUYA Overlay is a daft issue that should be fixed before this IMHO.
    While also taking out the game recommendations or whatever it is that causes it to load slow. It feels like pausing a game but the pause menu has to be loaded by floppy disk first. It is also frustration when you tap too many times and then as it is loading you unintentionally go back into the game just to have to double tap all over again.

OUYA Developer Eldon.McGuinness's Avatar

Agreed, or at least have it pick the games and cache the data when the game is LAUNCHED instead of when the menu comes up.