Close
Advertise Here
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

2 members found this post helpful.

The Killswitch Report: Joe Danger by Hello Games

Joe Danger finally hits the OUYA. When we were told Joe Danger was coming, I was thinking it would be a console port but then we heard it was Joe Danger Touch….. Immediately I was let down by this news. Most games that come over from mobile make OUYA look like mobile games on your TV which isn’t what it was supposed to be, right? Right? So does Joe Danger buck the trend?

When it comes to gameplay, Joe Danger does a good job. Going through all the moves, you’ll find that the transitions are almost flawless. You have wheelies, flips, bunny hops, lane moves, ducking, spins and all types of stunt moves. But if you overdo it with moves you will feel pain, well Joe will anyway. With a little practice you’ll get used to then handling and become a master at the tricks. You’ll definitely want to learn these things fast because in later stages they’re essential to avoid obstacles and sometimes you’ll have to chain moves. Don’t worry, the game will teach you the moves before levels so you’re prepared to use them.

Joe Danger has 50 levels, a bunch of coin collecting levels and even daily challenges so you have a high amount of replayability. The 50 levels have 3 goals to aim for and it’s not easy. Depending on the level the goals aren’t always the same. You have collecting all the coins on most of the stages but then there are some where you have to spell D-A-N-G-E-R, others where you have to beat an AI opponent to the finish and some where you just have to finish the stage. Finishing a level isn’t the hard part, it’s getting the goals of each level. To get the “Pro” medals, you have to get all 3 goals in a run, you can’t do 2 one time and then go back to get the other, it has to be all 3 at once and that’s what give the game a bit of controller rage enducing anger. For the first half of the game it’s easier to accomplish but when you move on, it gets HARD.

The game is more of a twitch based game with short levels. Levels are around 2-3 minutes for the most part. The design of the levels will keep your attention. This game will test your memory so pay attention when you’re playing. In the early levels it won’t mean much but when you get to the mid difficulty levels and later, you’ll need to remember some of it or you might get decapitated. You can always go back to levels and replay them so don’t worry if it takes you a while.

There are also outfits that you can get throughout the game. Some levels need a certain suit, especially the coin collecting levels. These suits give you different abilities like score multipliers. They don’t make you go faster or anything like that but at least you’ll look cool in some levels. Just playing the game in a regular pace will earn you enough coin to buy the outfits.

The one thing about the game that bothers me and that’s the music. The music does not change at all and it really grinds on your nerves. You can turn the music off so don’t worry but that is the only issue I have here.

Everything else in this game is good, so good that I feel safe giving Joe Danger a 4. Hello Games did a good job on this one sans music, Joe Danger has a lot going for it when it comes to OUYA games.
    Last edited by Killswitch; 04-23-2015 at 03:14 AM.

Administrative Queen of Evil RiotingSpectre's Avatar

Bullshit. Add more music tracks or no sale. They could have found a lot of free music by banging on their keyboard like a gorilla. There's no excuse for that incompetence. Fucking lazy assholes.

Quote Originally Posted by RiotingSpectre View Post
    Bullshit. Add more music tracks or no sale. They could have found a lot of free music by banging on their keyboard like a gorilla. There's no excuse for that incompetence. Fucking lazy assholes.
    "My dog barks, some. Mentally you picture my dog, but I have not told you the type o' dog which I have. Perhaps you might even picture Toto... from "The Wizard of Oz." But I can tell you, my dog is all ways with me. ARF!"- Bozie OO Spool

Warzard you forgot the words......

I made a slight change to the review's ending, meant to before posting but the edit bug on the forum kept screwing that up. The game is good but the music is bleh. Maybe it's okay for a few levels but after a while you want to dig out your eardrums. I guess that's because it's the mobile version and on mobile you don't need much music since it should be like a 5 minute experience or whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by Killswitch View Post
    Warzard you forgot the words......

I made a slight change to the review's ending, meant to before posting but the edit bug on the forum kept screwing that up. The game is good but the music is bleh. Maybe it's okay for a few levels but after a while you want to dig out your eardrums. I guess that's because it's the mobile version and on mobile you don't need much music since it should be like a 5 minute experience or whatever.
    People are playing mobile games more than they are computer and console games so that's incorrect. Hell, mobile games should have more music than any other type.

Well I'm kind of anti-mobile. I can't see why someone would want to experience a game on their phone besides Pac Man or something like that but that could also be because phones only come in kid size now. I can't see trying to play a game like this on a cell phone with all the buttons you have to press.

It should have more selections or something. If you notice, music is one thing I had to have in my game and ended up losing a lot of time because of it unfortunately. I could have went with one track through the whole game like an old school style shmup would but I couldn't do that people, had to have a separate track for each stage. Unfortunately people kept saying they'd complete the job then never did. Including one who said he'd do the whole soundtrack free of charge because he screwed up and he disappeared too. Music is expensive so it could be why some go the route of something simple or one track. If you go one track though, it has to be something better.

One thing I hate about reviews is one day the game could be a 5 then the next it could be a 3 because something that gets dull after a while and music is one of those things. I'm sure I'll keep playing to get the medals and all that but the music will zap the life out of me at some point.

Well I'm kind of anti-mobile. I can't see why someone would want to experience a game on their phone besides Pac Man or something like that but that could also be because phones only come in kid size now. I can't see trying to play a game like this on a cell phone with all the buttons you have to press.

It should have more selections or something. If you notice, music is one thing I had to have in my game and ended up losing a lot of time because of it unfortunately. I could have went with one track through the whole game like an old school style shmup would but I couldn't do that people, had to have a separate track for each stage. Unfortunately people kept saying they'd complete the job then never did. Including one who said he'd do the whole soundtrack free of charge because he screwed up and he disappeared too. Music is expensive so it could be why some go the route of something simple or one track. If you go one track though, it has to be something better.

One thing I hate about reviews is one day the game could be a 5 then the next it could be a 3 because something that gets dull after a while and music is one of those things. I'm sure I'll keep playing to get the medals and all that but the music will zap the life out of me at some point.
    Music is something entirely free and easy to find. It's one of the few things a game can have a lot of because of these facts. However, creating music is daunting and is an entirely different story. Even so, what person ever said, "Oh boy, one music track. I love games that have only one song throughout the entire game!". Hell, what person ever said, "My favorite games are the ones that have only one song and that one song sounds like someone is butt-fucking a xenomorph near a crappy microphone".

You not releasing your game because it's not a complete package is responsible. You understand that you can take the easy route by half-assing it, but refuse to do so because you understand what the consumer wants. These developers, however, don't despite the fact that they've had numerous games in the Joe Danger series across various platforms. You would think they'd at least nail it in the audio department given this fact alone, but I guess this is a quick cash-in with no care given to it and the OUYA console certainly needs more of those.

A xenomorph...

I don't know but I have a feeling that the number of single tracks are about even and that's because mobile gaming.

A xenomorph...

I don't know but I have a feeling that the number of single tracks are about even and that's because mobile gaming.
    If they really are even then oh man...

Music is something entirely free and easy to find. It's one of the few things a game can have a lot of because of these facts.

1. Music files are large if they add a lot of music to the game people then will start complaining about download size (more of a concern with mobile than the ouya)
    2. As a developer music is certainly not free, The preference is to use original content in your gaming and that can be very expensive. Decent tracks online that aren't exclusive can be $10-$500 a track, exclusive tracks can be $50 to $200 dollars a minute. Its easy to have 5k-10k allocated for music for small studio games, or triple-A studio have a full time composer of 70k a year.

That being said you can find a lot of $10 tracks on pond5 to suit most indie needs, but saying music is "entirely free and easy to find" is insulting to game developers and music composers.
    Last edited by ezraanderson; 04-23-2015 at 07:01 PM.