Close
Advertise Here

Slashers: The Power Battle by Stun Games. is a 2D fighter game with hand drawn art. For a console that has very few fighters, does Slashers measure up?

Slashers takes us back to the days of Street Fighter II, Art of Fighting, Mortal Kombat and the other 2D fighters from the 90s. Especially a few from SNK. You have the same basic framework, moves, weird dialogue, etc. It might even leave you looking for a quarter slot on your OUYA.

Gameplay is strong and gives you a few new options. You can do a straight campaign against the computer, you can learn or practice moves in academy mode so you're ready to lay the smackdown on some jabrony, 2 player mode and even play online (this feature needs to be fixed at the moment). You can even change the color of your outfit. The game has a decent amount of polish and even has the post fight text from those early games.

You have 9 selectable characters and new ones that are going to be introduced soon. Each character has their own look, feel and unique set of moves. At the player select screen you’ll notice something you don’t have in many games, you have the ability to select your power ups. You get to choose 2 power ups for each match, one red and one blue and your power bar will react accordingly. There is also a max move on top of that. If you're old enough to remember, these were features that were part of some of the SNK titles.

The game is strong in some areas but there is one that is lacking and that’s the art. I’m a fan of hand drawn art but it looks like things were rushed here. You can see issues with some of the moves and it doesn’t move as fluid as it should. This may keep some players away but give the game a try. It is free to try so you can be the judge if the game is for you or not. Everything else about the game is strong but there could be some improvement on the art side.

I’m giving Slashers a 4 shuriken rating.

Ok, got to finally play online.
    The damned pop up windows are annoying but once you enter the info, they go away for the most part. One thing that is a negative is the delay. Sometimes you get a small delay but if you get a big delay, you can fall victim to a spam attack death. It will tell you the frame delay before the match and I'd say if it's over 10 just back out, don't even bother. I got spammed to hell by one move because of the delay. Would have thought I had the advantage in that match because of it but no.... must have something in there that kind of nerfs you because I was moving like molasses.

But when the matchmaking and online works, it works pretty good. There is one feature which I think is stupid which is text chat during a battle. If I'm beating your ass, sure I want to say "come get some, bitch" but I'm not going to sit there and try to type it while the game is going. To activate it just press L1 but the pop up will probably get you beat. Another positive is invites. You can invite someone to play you.

So...again, decent game, enough to keep your attention and it's only $5.99. There are flaws but nothing to stop you from playing. With some tweaking this game can be pretty damned good.

The game is good, shame about the graphics that could be better. The delay... it's inevitable if you are too far away from your opponent or someone has bad connection, so if you are in the same country, i could say it will be easily playable.

One can easily have fun with this one

Cheers,
    Fabrício

Quote Originally Posted by frpnit View Post
    The game is good, shame about the graphics that could be better. The delay... it's inevitable if you are too far away from your opponent or someone has bad connection, so if you are in the same country, i could say it will be easily playable.

One can easily have fun with this one

Cheers,
    Fabrício
    I had better delays with you than some here in the US so that's not the issue. It's not something that is an exact science so expected some hiccups but when you have some people showing up as poor or fair then those shouldn't even connect because you need some precision. Hard enough with a small delay.

But still a good game. Just has some issues to clean up and he's still working on it, where some others would have just dropped it and said "that's all you get".