Close
Advertise Here
    Administrative Queen of Evil RiotingSpectre's Avatar

RiotingSpectre's Ittle Dew Review

One could say that searching for games in Discover is an adventure. However, a game about adventuring will show up once in a while and Ittle Dew is no exception to this. Is it an adventure that's something to write home about, or is it something you want to repress like a family vacation? Find out for this is the Ittle Dew review.

Story:

Ittle Dew has you control a girl named Ittle Dew who is accompanied by her magical fox companion named Tippsie. In the opening cutscene, the game shows you that the two of them have been shipwrecked on an island and Ittle Dew's immediate reaction is to set forth on an adventure. Shortly afterwards they meet up with a shopkeeper that goes by the name of Itan Carver who tells the two that he'll build them a raft to get off the island if they bring him "the artifact" which lies in the castle nearby. The two traverse inside the castle to find that numerous obstacles are within their path and that they need to buy certain items from Ivan to proceed. To accomplish this, they must find the few treasure chests they're able to reach in order to purchase what they need from Ivan in order to go deeper inside the castle.

However, this isn't as easy as it sounds since each item can only be obtained by going through its respective dungeon accompanied by a boss. The two persevere and soon enough they've collected all the items from Ivan. After reaching the final floor and anticipating the final boss, they're met by none other than Ivan himself who proceeds to explain that he built the castle along with all the dungeons for adventurers in order to test them for his own amusement. They soon defeat him and grab the artifact in order to give it to him in the end anyways so they can get off the island. As soon as they start to set sail, Ivan is offered the chance to join the two as they ride the waves to get off the island, and during the credits you see how it all began from the castle to the making of Ittle Dew's favorite stick.

Overall, the story is very humorous and engaging to experience. There's tons of dialogue between the two adventurers and the numerous enemies they face throughout the game which adds a lot of personality to everyone. While the story doesn't have much depth, the game is in on this by not taking itself seriously in the slightest and pulls it off as a result. There's definitely tons to enjoy from Ittle Dew's story and certainly puts you in a better mood on top of it.

Gameplay & Controls:

You play as Ittle Dew in a top-down perspective similar to what's found in The Legend of Zelda. In fact, there's a lot of parallels that can be drawn between this game and The Legend of Zelda because it was heavily inspired by it. As such, you're going to be problem solving, looting, and defeating enemies all similarly to that classic Nintendo Entertainment System game, but luckily the game doesn't feel like a ripoff. You start out with a stick and quickly acquire a flaming sword, a magical wand, and a ice wand. All of these can be used as some sort of weapons against the variety of enemies you'll face, but they're also used in order to solve the numerous puzzles found throughout the game.

However, the items themselves can only be gathered by defeating the boss that guards its dungeon which isn't too terribly difficult. The first boss by the name of Masked Ruby is the most troublesome because you can only hit him by exploding bombs near him which is annoying because he never wants to stop moving. All the other bosses are fine and offer a good bit of problem solving themselves, but if you're ever stuck with them or anything else for that matter then Tippsie is there for you. Tippsie will always have some sort of hint for you and you'll do well to remember to refer to her a lot throughout your journey to make it a lot more pleasant overall.

Furthermore, one of the game's main appeals is to collect treasure chests that are held within various rooms. All of these require some sort of work to get too, but nothing too terribly difficult. What you can find in these chests are slips of paper that can extend you health if you collect four of them, one of 26 cards that give details about the numerous characters in the game, or money which is mandatory for the game's progression since they're the only way to collect the items from Ivan's shop. All but the ones that contain the cash are optional, but it's recommended to open as many as you can so you can potentially increase your health for the more difficult parts of the game.

The controls in the game are very fluid and don't take any sort of getting used to despite the tutorial cave that you're forced to go through upon starting a new game. Even the new items upon collecting them will feel as though they've been with you all along because of their simplicity. Overall, the gameplay and the controls in Ittle Dew are as solid as you can get and will offer a lot of rewarding.

Visuals:

The visuals in Ittle Dew are very easy on the eyes. Everything is animated very smoothly and is given a look as though it was all drawn by hand. The effects for the game which includes the fire, bomb explosions, and the confetti that comes out upon defeating a boss amongst other things add a lot of flare to the already good look game. It's as if a high-definition version of The Legend of Zelda and Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga had a baby. That being said, there's not a problem to be found as it's one of the best looking games on the console to date.

Soundtrack & Sounds:

The soundtrack in the game is quite good and certainly something that will stick with you when you turn off the game. It's very fitting with the environment and never wears out its welcome despite some tracks playing for long periods of time. The sounds are memorable simply because they sound similar to what's found in other games like a bomb exploding for example. As such, you could consider Ittle Dew having iconic sound effects when in actuality it's just heavily inspired by the iconic sound effects of other games. Overall, there's nothing else to be said about this other than that it's all very enjoyable.

Conclusion:

Ittle Dew is a fantastic game that everyone should play. It has a very humorous story, great aesthetic, solid soundtrack, and so many other things right with it. However, the game won't last you very long as my first game was just under the two hour mark when I completed it, and that was even after I went out of my way to collect everything in the game. This is greatly overshadowed by the game's countless perks, but people wanting an investment by being given a game with great length should wait until a sale happens. In conclusion, the game gets a five out of five.

Score: 5/5

I agree! Ittle Dew is one of my favorite games for the system. Nice review!

I do think it is rather odd though, that the developer claimed the length of the game together with the in-game clock is intended to encourage speedruns. It almost feels like an excuse to not make the game longer. But that's all I've got in terms of criticism. Will buy Ittle Dew 2 if it comes out!
    Play like Starfighter (currently featuring 150 great OUYA titles, 40 of which are completely free)
    73 OUYA games beaten (and counting)
    32 free to watch documentaries (and counting)

Administrative Queen of Evil RiotingSpectre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Starfighter View Post
    I agree! Ittle Dew is one of my favorite games for the system. Nice review!

I do think it is rather odd though, that the developer claimed the length of the game together with the in-game clock is intended to encourage speedruns. It almost feels like an excuse to not make the game longer. But that's all I've got in terms of criticism. Will buy Ittle Dew 2 if it comes out!
    I honestly didn't get that impression despite thinking that for other games. I felt that Ittle Dew was truly trying to be reminiscent of the old games from our past which meant that it didn't have a long length, and instead had an overabundance of everything else. Music, visuals, & fun factor are all examples of this.