Close
Advertise Here
    Administrative Queen of Evil RiotingSpectre's Avatar

RiotingSpectre's Wind-Up Knight Review

Every now and again you'll find either a hidden gem, or something that represents your nightmares in digital form. I've been aware of Wind-Up Knight's existence ever since it got released, but until this review I wasn't sure what I was in store for. That being said, the results were interesting to say the least, and you'll read about them because this is the Wind-Up Knight review.

Story:

The story starts off in the midst of the sir Sprint's adventure, but quickly recaps things from the very beginning via a humorous email. Apparently a black knight has kidnapped the kingdom's princess and the king orders you to rescue her which just so happens to be a part of your quarterly review. The princess is also noted to be important to Sprint so with more than enough reasons, the knight ventures forth to save the captured princess. That's literally all you're given until the very end of the game which is when you complete the final level and obtain a note that tells you that the princess has escaped with the black knight and has eloped with him.

I know this was supposed to be a kick to the stomach, but it came off as extremely unprofessional. Granted there hardly was a story in the game to begin with nor anything up until this point, but this attempt at being funny wasn't successful. In fact, this makes what little story the game has not just tacked on, but bad overall.

Gameplay & Controls:

Wind-Up Knight is sort of like an endless runner with a goal post from Super Mario Bros. mixed in for good measure. You're always running with nothing except walls to change your direction, or death to put an end to sir Sprint's feet. You start out by just being able to jump, but you'll quickly be able to roll to dodge spikes, attack enemies with your sword, block with your shield, and even wall-jump once you progress enough in the game. All of these are given to you one at a time and definitely spice up the gameplay since it adds a lot of elements which the game also builds itself around.

Continuing on, the game contains over 50 levels spread across four chapters including what the game calls "Knightmare" levels that are only accessible after acquiring all the hidden cards in a respective chapter. These cards will be the bane of your existence because they're sometimes so cleverly hidden that you'll believe that there wasn't ever one in the level from the very beginning. Problem solving and ascertaining the level as you venture through it will garner the answer to their location's. You'll also have to do some preemptive thinking with all your accumulated ability's to collect all the coins within a level which will be required for the higher ranks in the game along with being used for the shop.

The shop is included in the game that you honestly don't need as long as you don't mind trial and error since the game will give you all that you need on its own. You can buy some armor and a weapon for sir Sprint that can do things like protect him from fire, or shoot out a fireball from his sword once its charged, but the game never really throws something at you where you would need this despite its increasing difficulty. However, the fact that you have the option to buy this stuff is at least a positive, and it's also nice to see sir Sprint wear something different from time to time.

Furthermore, there are no bosses in the game at all which means that you're just going from level to level. This may sound questionable, but the game honestly does fine without this feature since the levels are always so fresh and unique. In fact, a player can easily assume the Knightmare levels would be the makeshift bosses in the game given their difficulty. If that's not all, there's also medals that you can collect in the game by accomplishing certain tasks like completing chapters and collecting a certain amount of cards. However, a lot of this good gameplay gets a bit too frustrating thanks to the controls.

The controls in Wind-Up Knight are slightly buggy to outright rage inducing. Even selecting something from the menu screens can be a chore since the controls either don't want to work, or always want to go right for some reason. If that's not bad enough, I swear that the game will eat button commands during gameplay which will lead you to a lot of ill-fated deaths. Even though that's rare, it's undoubtedly a problem if you're going for an all "A" rank run with all cards like I did.

Overall, the gameplay is solid. There's a lot of content to be had, the levels are structured wonderfully, and all the abilities you can do in the game really add some layers to the experience. The controls in the menu are annoying, but manageable. However, when the game eats button commands, it will make you throw the controller at the wall if you were almost going to beat a level you've been stuck on for 20 minutes.

Visuals:

The visuals in Wind-Up Knight are absolutely beautiful. The game as a lot of medieval tones given the game's overall theme, but thedevelopers far exceeded my expectations with the backgrounds. They're vast, vibrant, and always interesting to look at. The parts of the level you're moving in are also pleasing to the eye as the attention to detail is really something to behold. The game even incorporates a few underwater levels in the game, which despite playing exactly the same as any other level, are the most beautiful things the game has to offer.

Overall, I'm very impressed with the game's visuals. I was even surprised because of how good they look during gameplay since the pictures on Discover didn't do it justice.

Soundtrack & Sounds:

The soundtrack in the game is definitely catchy. There's a lot of tracks and they all invoke a particular urgency because of their composition. They also match the environments perfectly, and really suit the gameplay style really well. The sounds aren't as impressive given that they're largely stereotypical, and nothing exciting. However, I much enjoyed what the game had to offer in these areas overall.

Conclusion:

In conclusion, Wind-Up Knight is a great game that really should be more popular amongst the OUYA community. Despite its insulting story and the issues with its control's, it's still a great experience to be had on a console that doesn't have much to offer to the majority that own it. The gameplay is excellent, the amount of content in the game is long-lasting, and everything else like the soundtrack almost offer a perfectly complete package for anyone. The demo is very generous because you get an entire chapter of the game, and you can unlock the rest of it for only a few dollars. With all that said, the game gets a four out of five.

Score: 4/5

I quite enjoyed playing Wind-up Knight and had pretty much the same conclusion in my review. I gave it 83% in my app.

Good game.
    "Withhold no sacrifice, grudge no toil, seek no sordid gain, fear no foe."

http://grimbarian.itch.io/silent-star-blast

Quote Originally Posted by Grimbarian View Post
    I quite enjoyed playing Wind-up Knight and had pretty much the same conclusion in my review. I gave it 83% in my app.

Good game.
    Yeah, it's a shame that OUYA Incorporate only chose to relentlessly whore Towerfall & Amazing Frog instead of other games that undoubtedly have more appeal like Wind-Up Knight. Heh, what's funny is that both the games I mentioned took a hike & aren't OUYA exclusives anymore which also explains why OUYA Incorporate hasn't been promoting them anymore.

Magistrate of Altered States Schizophretard's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RiotingSpectre View Post
    Yeah, it's a shame that OUYA Incorporate only chose to relentlessly whore Towerfall & Amazing Frog instead of other games that undoubtedly have more appeal like Wind-Up Knight. Heh, what's funny is that both the games I mentioned took a hike & aren't OUYA exclusives anymore which also explains why OUYA Incorporate hasn't been promoting them anymore.
    I'm pretty sure it was one of my first if not my first purchase. If OUYA would have pushed it more then maybe we would have Wind-Up Knight 2 by now?

Quote Originally Posted by Schizophretard View Post
    I'm pretty sure it was one of my first if not my first purchase. If OUYA would have pushed it more then maybe we would have Wind-Up Knight 2 by now?
    I already reached out to the developer for Wind-Up Knight 2 way back in the day. I can't remember what they said if I even got a response to begin with.

OUYA Developer Eldon.McGuinness's Avatar

On a positive note, Wind-Up Knight 2 from GP works like a charm on the OUYA. Was playing it just this morning!