Close
Advertise Here
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Ouya owner considering buying a Mojo for Ouya everywhere and emulators

Hello all.

I was an early adopted of the Ouya and have adored the thing, but now I've noticed the Mojo can be found for as little as $160, which is affordable enough to make me kinda consider buying a Mojo as well as Ouya for the extra power and the fact that Mojo actually has two USB ports (one of them is 3.0!!!) and that's important to me. It means I'll finally be able to use a USB controller and my external drive at the same time without the need for a USB hub, and plus on top of that I can power my USB harddrive in USB 3.0 as it its blue port was always meant to.

So before I consider buying a Mojo, I'd like to ask folks here some specific questions.

1. Watching Lon Seidman's overview video of Ouya on Mojo, one of his complaints was that the stock Android navbar on the botton is always present, even if you launch games or XBMC. Has the navbar issue been fixed without having to root yet? I mean, his video went up in July. Has there been any official firmware fix for this? if I have to root I will, but I just wanna know if this has been corrected. If I do have to to root the Mojo to hide the damn navbar, what do I need to do?

2. As I mentioned, I'm an Ouya owner and a fan of that microconsole. I've heard that Mojo can now access "Ouya Everywhere". So specifically regarding that, are all Ouya games on the Ouya Discover Store available on the Mojo?

Is there any difference in how Ouya games play on the Mojo? The Mojo is Tegra 4 and has double the RAM, but does the extra horsepower serve any use when running the Ouya anywhere mode? Basically I want to know, does the Mojo run Ouya games better than an actual Ouya?

3. Is the Mojo fully compatible with other controllers such as a PlayStation 3 controller like the Ouya is? What about the Ouya controller? Can that be paired with the Mojo?

4. How easy is it to sideload apps? On Ouya, all you need to do is transfer the apk, open a file broswer, install the app and boom, that's it. I'm hoping the Mojo is just as easy?

5. I'll want to use an external USB harddrive like I do with my Ouya. The Ouya requires the drive be formatted in FAT32, which is a rather old format now that doens't support some mkvs I have which can be as large as 20GB. Does the Mojo support newer formats?

6. Apparently, unlike the Ouya, the Mojo has no fan. Is overheating ever a concern?

7. Is there anything else I should know? Thanks!

Don't buy a MOJO just for OUYA. Buy it because you want it. The MOJO is a T4 so performance is going to be better on games that currently have issues, maybe you'll get more graphically out of the few titles that need a little more horsepower but it shouldn't be anything earth shattering since there aren't many that take advantage of higher end shaders and all that.

It wasn't long ago that only 40% of the games were OE compatible, I don't know what the number is now but I doubt it's much higher. Maybe 50%???? Do not quote me on that number.

Sideload and root I'll leave for someone else who does that stuff, to answer.

And the OUYA does not require FAT32. It's recommended but not required. There are members using EXT. See this thread: http://ouyaforum.com/showthread.php?...ommended-Specs

We don't seem to have many MOJO owners or they're some of the members who don't post for whatever reason, I'm inclined to believe it's lack of owners more than anything else.

Well, I'm not interested in the Mojo only for Ouya of course. As I mentioned, I already own an Ouya; I wasn't a kickstarter backer, but I was an early adopter and I've purchased well over a dozen games and have about 60 or so installed on my Ouya and external drive.

I'm interested in a Mojo for being able to play my 1080p 60fps mkv bluray rips that the Ouya can't handle without all sorts of video artifacting, even using sideloaded Kodi.
    I'm interested in emulation of higher end consoles like PS1, N64, PSP and Dreamcast, systems that the Ouya either doesn't have the power to do or just that nobody has bothered to optimize for Ouya.
    I'm interested in Android Gaming on the TV outside of the Ouya.

And of course I'm interested in folding my great love for the Ouya games I already have into it. That's what makes me kinda confused. Ouya Everywhere has only 40 or 50% of all Ouya games playable on the Mojo? What the heck? Is the Mojo emulating the Ouya or something? Why isn't that number at 100%????

Will Ouya games preform better on the Mojo given the Tegra 4? Like, here's an example. Doom GLES on Ouya runs great, until you start turning on features like 3D monsters, advanced lighting and realistic water. Then the framerate becomes around 17-20 fps instead of the usual 30. It's a noticeable drop. I'm just wondering if it would run smoother on mojo through the ouya everywhere thing.

Inebriated Staff Ninja DrunkPunk's Avatar

Naturally some games will perform better but not that many. Optimization is the key and most Devs skipped right over the T4.

You can emulate everything but the DC on the OUYA just fine, though some N64 games take quite a bit of tweaking of course. DC emulation isn't even perfect on desktops so hoping to get perfect emulation on a Mojo is a crapshoot.

OUYA Everywhere is so you can play OUYA games on other devices, so they only have to work on the OUYA. With the amount of different configurations for Android in the wild, it's no wonder that not every game will work.
    Last edited by DrunkPunk; 02-06-2015 at 08:15 AM.
    DrnkPnk says, "Obey The Beard!"
    I helped create a mini-game in Explosive Dinosaurs. Otakupunk played it, and now you can too!

Why isn't that number at 100%????
    It is up to the developer to say 'yes I want my game on MOJO' and to then modify and test the game (or let the OUYA submission reviewers test the game) so it actually runs on MOJO. Developers can have reasons (technical or other) for not being able or wanting to publish a game on MOJO.
    Last edited by Foppy; 02-06-2015 at 08:27 AM.

OUYAForum Devotee Victor Coleiro's Avatar

The MOJO was on sale throughout the holiday season for $99 with free delivery from MADCATZ. Perhaps they will put it on sale again in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Foppy View Post
    It is up to the developer to say 'yes I want my game on MOJO' and to then modify and test the game (or let the OUYA submission reviewers test the game) so it actually runs on MOJO. Developers can have reasons (technical or other) for not being able or wanting to publish a game on MOJO.
    Yeah, a small team that can't try its game on the MOJO console (even thinking about how poorly MOJO sold in the market) probably will avoid that extra work.

However, maybe things are going to change.
    If OUYA Everywhere will spread in China (latest news seeems good for that), then developers will take advantage patching their games.
    If you don't try, you'll never know.

If they use the ODK then it should work on MOJO but there are multitudes of reasons and since a lot just don't want to, I'm going to guess they won't do it for China either and the number won't move too much.

Is there a current list of Ouya games playable on Mojo? I'm okay with not every Ouya game playable, but there are certain titles I really would want, such as Rob Broglia's emulators, a few of my absolute favorite Ouya games like Maldita Castilla and Elliot Quest, and also games that don't run at 100% on Ouya like Doom GLES.

Quote Originally Posted by Killswitch View Post
    If they use the ODK then it should work on MOJO but there are multitudes of reasons and since a lot just don't want to, I'm going to guess they won't do it for China either and the number won't move too much.
    Not exactly, people may not put the hooks in there to differentiate between OUYA and OE devices, or have a latest version of the ODK.
    Racin-Games, creator of Sirenium ~ Forever After ~ .. come check us out here! http://www.racin-games.com
    Forum Page: http://ouyaforum.com/showthread.php?...-Forever-After
    If you want your game/app reviewed, let me know! I'll ReviOUYA. Will also do previews and such as well. http://reviouya.wordpress.com/
    Play like me! http://ouyaforum.com/showthread.php?...imega&p=119559