Close
Advertise Here
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Visorman is defeating your 'Generic Army Guy' and gaming industry norms on OUYA soon!

Visorman
    Coming to OUYA mid 2013

Kickstarter is up! Help fund Visorman's mission to defeat the 'Generic Army Guy (G.A.G!) http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...-in-a-retro-fp Any donation is highly appreciated; thank you so much!

I haven’t bought a retail title in quite a while; all of those memories are gone. The gaming industry (at least to me) has become bland and overrun by formula. Where as back when I socially played games (and still do play the very same games today) games were quite innovative, strategic, and other factors that I could list forever, games these days lack those factors, and reuse and re-employ popular factors used in the best selling game. *cough* Call of Duty/Halo/Gear of War. 99% of first person shooters available on the market today employ some kind of iron-sight feature (Aim down sights for some), a generic setting, usually involving some kind of war, where as you play as a ‘Generic Army Guy’, a Super Soldier, or some other character that you cannot connect with whatsoever. AI Bot support in multiplayer has been replaced by online features, and most FPS’ do not even have splitscreen anymore to begin with.

Visorman brings it all back.

'Bu.. But Who is Visorman?'

Visorman is being developed for the Android platform and is planned for release on OUYA (and possibly other formats later on) in mid 2013. Visorman is a superspy whom wears a black visor over his eyes. He stars in his own game which is massively inspired by FPS’ of old, such as ‘Goldeneye 64’, ‘Perfect Dark’, and the massively underrated ‘XIII’ (one of my favourite games to date, to be honest.) Visorman’s mission is to steal and destroy the modern day formulas; his enemies being the culprits responsible for the decline of todays gaming industry, including the ‘Generic Army Guy’ and the ‘Generic Super Soldier’. The levels, playing out like retro titles such as Goldeneye, are inspired by the games of old, yet will be satirically placed in environments similar to popular games of today. For example, the first mission takes place in a typical army base, located in a generic desert-like place, which most would assume is ‘Afgan’, or something of the like.

Even the controls are a-like to your FPS’ that you would play on a Nintendo 64. Visorman controls with a control style that I hadn't used since 'Goldeneye 64', or '007 Nightfire'; he controls with only one thumbstick rather than the 'Dual-Thumbstick' control scheme employed in today's FPS'. Visorman takes it right back; even to using a shoulder button to make your headshots.

Almost obviously, if you have read all of the above, you would probably guess that a massive amount of effort is being placed on the splitscreen multiplayer aspect of Visorman; as we all remember those days with James Bond and Ourumov in Goldeneye 64's multiplayer (At least my friends always raced to be Ourumov...) After taking notes on many nights playing Goldeneye 64 with some friends, Visormans multiplayer is heavily inspired by that kind of gameplay; multiple levels, scenarios (game modes), handicaps, character select, and weapon sets.

Visorman is in somewhat early development; however I am constantly posting updates to my Twitter account. Please; every follower helps! I would massively appreciate any followers if you are interested. Moral support is always great!

Check out our website at www.PolygonGaming.co.uk

https://twitter.com/PolygonGaming_

Follow me on Twitter for regular updates, screenshots, and gameplay content of Visorman!

Every follower is appreciated!

Thanks for reading everyone!
    Last edited by PolygonGaming; 03-27-2013 at 01:04 AM. Reason: Added some screenshots. Subject to change of course. For the better!

Can't wait to see the screenshots! Can you post them here?

Ed
    Be sure to follow OUYAForum.com on Facebook, Twitter, Google+ & LinkedIn

Thank you very much for the interest! I just edited the OP and added a few early screenshots!

Man you have no idea how happy I am to see something like this. I tell ya there seems to be a few titles each WEEK on here that I am just so exicated to try that it's making me want my OUYA right now. I'm so DONE with the retail strategy that the big platforms have implemented and I'm so sick of all of it to be honest. Personally my favorite games of all time are the TimeSplitters series. They were just like what you are describing...splitscreen on a 20 in tv with a friend (then when you finally play on the entire screen by yourself you feel like you are playing on a projector!!!). Handicaps to winning players... and just good ole fragging fun man. Those were the best days in gaming are you're right publishers have demolished split screen gaming in favor of everyone buying a copy and playing online now. I'm really glad that you are creating something like this to bring back those memories (hard to believe that was just a few years back) for me. I hope that this ends up being a solid title and I'll be supporting you all the way.

Quote Originally Posted by anonymous16 View Post
    Man you have no idea how happy I am to see something like this. I tell ya there seems to be a few titles each WEEK on here that I am just so exicated to try that it's making me want my OUYA right now. I'm so DONE with the retail strategy that the big platforms have implemented and I'm so sick of all of it to be honest. Personally my favorite games of all time are the TimeSplitters series. They were just like what you are describing...splitscreen on a 20 in tv with a friend (then when you finally play on the entire screen by yourself you feel like you are playing on a projector!!!). Handicaps to winning players... and just good ole fragging fun man. Those were the best days in gaming are you're right publishers have demolished split screen gaming in favor of everyone buying a copy and playing online now. I'm really glad that you are creating something like this to bring back those memories (hard to believe that was just a few years back) for me. I hope that this ends up being a solid title and I'll be supporting you all the way.
    Timesplitters was brilliant. I used to play that a lot with my brother way back when, although the main game I played was XIII. 007 Nightfire was up there too; Team Deathmatch on Skyrail was one of the best multiplayer experiences I can remember (whoever hasn't placed a satchel charge or a tripwire in the cable car's doorway has not lived!)

It's a shame to see a lot big names these days get derailed by the popular 'big seller', in simplistic terms. Quantum of Solace used a Call of Duty esque engine, had ironsights, and the standard-awkward back to wall mechanic employed in most FPS' today. Even the recent Wolfenstein game had ironsights and played very similar to Call of Duty, despite the iconic name. (I will admit, I was expecting something similar to 'Return to Castle Wolfenstein' (brilliant Co-Op experience!!) when I bought the recent one))

But thank you so much for your support. Visorman doesn't need a lot of things, such as ironsights, 'hold breath meters' when sniping, weapon carrying restrictions, spriting and awkward back against wall mechanics. But what he does need is support, and appreciates it more than anything!

Thanks again!

Man same for me. Me and my roommate had a few maps that we loved to play over and over again against each other all te time. For us it was Robot Factory and Chasm in TimeSplitters 2 and Mars Prison in TimeSplitters Future Perfect. I never played 007 Nightfire, but I'm sure it was similar to TS in the fact of splirscreen and modes and stuff.

It is sad but truem seems like a tone of FPS games are using the COD model. BUt really can you blame them. You see those games get hundreds of millions of dollars each year, they just want a piece of the pie too. Just look at how advertising and commercials have taken over for video games lately. It's such a big industry to order to get the most money on pre orders and whatnot. THat is one reason why I want the OUYA. It lets those who are gifted enough to create games that might be outside the norm of ideas in today's day and let them run wild with them. That is why I like your idea here and I hope it gets the attention it deserves.

good luck man

Quote Originally Posted by anonymous16 View Post
    snip
    What he said

While I encourage the return to split screen local multilayer (although it would be awesome if OUYA supported LAN play) and the pillorying of generic FPSes, I'm not sure how you think single sticking is better than dual stick control. Dual sticks is the logical (and significantly better) evolution of the N64 style stick+c button control.

If you're absolutely committed to a vision of retro-ness then that's your prerogative, but old controls doesn't have quite the same charm as old graphical styles or game types do. But other than that, rock on.

Gotta agree with John on the whole controller subject. Dual Analog controls was an evolution of the single stick controllers which where made the game feel sporadic in my opinion with the constant stop-n-go feeling it created. Regardless of how much time i spent on Pefect Dark, that control scheme and 007s, I would not want to go back to.

I feel like dual analog isnt something that should be associated with generic FPS.

Is there any way you can get a beta/demo out for March 28th? This looks so cool!