Close
Advertise Here
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Touchpad on OUYA controller / PS3 controller issues

Here's a couple things that would make my entire OUYA experience a whole lot better & a lot less glitchy:

1. There needs to be an option to turn off the touchpad on the OUYA controller. It's used for about 2% of functions, and if anything bumps it while you're watching a video it crashes your video. It's just cheap, trashy, & useless. This whole problem would be resolved through use of a PS3 controller, however...

2. The PS3 controllers don't turn off when they're synced to the OUYA. No options whatsoever to turn the controller off. They just permanently stay on until they die. It's completely retarded. There should be a way to have the controller shut off when you turn off the OUYA at the bare minimum.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

I don't know about cheap or trashy but it's not useless. There are people who sideload things and that is where it gets most of it's use except for maybe a handful of games. So it's not useless. I don't sideload and don't care if it's there or not but there is a big percentage of people who use Google Play for some reason and other things where it is necessary to have it.

And PS3 controllers are not made by OUYA, that is not their responsibility. If they can do something about it then fine but no one should hold them responsible for something not even made by them.

There are a number of games on discover that utilize the touchpad as well.. Also never had a video crash when using the touchpad..
    Racin-Games, creator of Sirenium ~ Forever After ~ .. come check us out here! http://www.racin-games.com
    Forum Page: http://ouyaforum.com/showthread.php?...-Forever-After
    If you want your game/app reviewed, let me know! I'll ReviOUYA. Will also do previews and such as well. http://reviouya.wordpress.com/
    Play like me! http://ouyaforum.com/showthread.php?...imega&p=119559

Hey NeedleBanger,

1. I have not had any issues between the touchpad and videos. Where is this happening for you? I use the Youtube app and the given XBMC in Discover.

2. My PS3 controller shuts off when I turn off the OUYA.... Every time. Maybe it has something to do with the particular controller itself? Hmm, not sure. Alternatively, you can hold down the button on the controller to shut it down. This thread here might help: http://ouyaforum.com/showthread.php?...PS3-controller

In either case, if the things can be narrowed down, maybe solutions can be more easily found.
    Last edited by Sitting Fox; 01-02-2015 at 01:13 AM.
    "Be the change you wish to see."

99% of the time if anything brushes the touchpad it ends up crashing whatever I'm doing. It happened 5 seconds ago, it happens every day. I don't play cellphone games so the touchpad is totally useless for me, I would love an option to turn it off.

All PS3 controllers I've tried to synch won't turn off. I guess it's just an issue with my 5 different PS3 controllers & brand new OUYA system. What else is new.

the touchpad only ever crashed XBMC never anything else, please be more specific with what games or apps are crashing.

I paired a ps3 controller a few times last year and i always held the ps button for like 10 secs and it will turn off.
    Demos. Who gives a shit...
    "I hate him" - Some Internet dude named Killswitch
    "I finally got intimate with my OUYA" - boxtropica
    "I bring the hookers and Mt Dew" - Killswitch

[SIGPIC]http://i.imgur.com/lO42Zgy.png[/SIGPIC]

OUYA Developer Eldon.McGuinness's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NeedleBanger View Post
    1. There needs to be an option to turn off the touchpad on the OUYA controller. It's used for about 2% of functions, and if anything bumps it while you're watching a video it crashes your video. It's just cheap, trashy, & useless. This whole problem would be resolved through use of a PS3 controller, however...
    Try the KODI releases from kodi.tv if you have not already. I never have had this issue, but then again I never used the XBMC release on the OUYA store either.

2. The PS3 controllers don't turn off when they're synced to the OUYA. No options whatsoever to turn the controller off. They just permanently stay on until they die. It's completely retarded. There should be a way to have the controller shut off when you turn off the OUYA at the bare minimum.
    Does it have batteries? if so then pop one out. Not the most elegant solution, but then again it is not an OUYA controller so yea.

Quote Originally Posted by undftdroar View Post
    I paired a ps3 controller a few times last year and i always held the ps button for like 10 secs and it will turn off.
    This works for me as well on a couple $10-12 knockoff ps3 controllers I got off eBay.
    burdbroscustomarcade.us

NeedleBanger,

99% of the time if anything brushes the touchpad it ends up crashing whatever I'm doing. It happened 5 seconds ago, it happens every day. I don't play cellphone games so the touchpad is totally useless for me, I would love an option to turn it off.
    So it's anything you're ever doing? Playing any OUYA game? In Discover? On the startup screen?

Or are you saying by that last line that you use some sort of XBMC/Kodi setup and not the regular OUYA setup at all?

All PS3 controllers I've tried to synch won't turn off. I guess it's just an issue with my 5 different PS3 controllers & brand new OUYA system. What else is new.
    I get you're frustrated, but let's keep talking and trying to figure it out, huh? We're both just human beings, both just users of the same system. I want to help if I can though. I can't say I know much, but yeah. xD

As far as I know, there isn't a way to just turn off the track pad. Maybe someone more knowledgeable on the OUYA controller's build could instruct you in getting at something in the inside (like cutting a wire or something), though that might be more risky and easy to wreck the controller with a wrong move. It might easily work out to tape a piece of cardstock over that portion of the controller, at least for now.

If you're using some sort of XBMC/Kodi setup (outside of Discover), maybe there's something people on that side can do to fix how the controllers work. Maybe it is their code that isn't handling the input properly. Regardless, maybe they can put in some sort of trackpad-off switch or even something with the PS3 controllers. Like, maybe it's something that has to be done on that end. Or maybe OUYA, inc could make something to cover that sideloaded end of things too, but if it's just there, that's something important to specify.

I don't sideload things, so I don't know if that's what happens with that stuff. But like I said, if a more specific scenario can be narrowed down, then maybe that can better help the issue being fixed on the software side (be it needed to be done by OUYA, inc or otherwise) or realize if some defective hardware is at work. Coming from someone who helps with computer troubleshooting at times, it's very hard to solve a problem if I can't replicate it and/or the scenario is laid out rather vague. I don't know where to look to start fixing it then.
    Last edited by Sitting Fox; 01-02-2015 at 09:03 PM.
    "Be the change you wish to see."

From what I can tell the touchpad is stable when I'm playing games, it's HORRIBLE when I'm watching videos, namely the XMBC program. It is a crashing nightmare at all times whenever the touchpad is brushed. It's the only thing slowing down my OUYA experience.

Aside from that issue (and the correlated PS3 controller issue) I'm overjoyed with my OUYA purchase. Stick it Telus Mobility.