Close
Advertise Here

1 members found this post helpful.

Gamma Adjustment

I'd like to have someway to adjust the brightness/contrast/gamma within the OUYA system software. It is pretty dark on my TV and my only disappointment with the console. I can adjust using my TV remote, but then I have to adjust back for everything else. A gamma adjust would be a nice addition.

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by JeffWMoore View Post
    I'd like to have someway to adjust the brightness/contrast/gamma within the OUYA system software. It is pretty dark on my TV and my only disappointment with the console. I can adjust using my TV remote, but then I have to adjust back for everything else. A gamma adjust would be a nice addition.

Jeff
    Do you have different picture modes? You should be able to set your TV to "Game Mode" or something like that and it will only stick to that HDMI output... at least that is what it does on my TV o_o.
    Racin-Games, creator of Sirenium ~ Forever After ~ .. come check us out here! http://www.racin-games.com
    Forum Page: http://ouyaforum.com/showthread.php?...-Forever-After
    If you want your game/app reviewed, let me know! I'll ReviOUYA. Will also do previews and such as well. http://reviouya.wordpress.com/
    Play like me! http://ouyaforum.com/showthread.php?...imega&p=119559

i'm having the same issue, especially with XBMC where dark areas tend to be darker than dark. makes it nearly impossible to enjoy movies with a lot of darker scenes. I already asked them to add some kind of Switch for normal and full video range (rgb) like the PS3 has. the ouya seems to output full rgb video range. and its not a problem of my tv settings. when i plug in any other HDMI device black areas aren't that dark.
    IN PIXEL I TRUST

Do you have different picture modes? You should be able to set your TV to "Game Mode" or something like that and it will only stick to that HDMI output... at least that is what it does on my TV o_o.
    I think there is something. I will see what I can figure out. I do still think that a gamma correct would be a good addition to system settings.

I thought I commented on this, maybe on something very similar. I love the idea, since I found a couple of games dark to the point that everything was completely invisible. Personally I could raise the brightness of my screen without having to revert it back for the other sources (TV, PS3), but I can understand I'm more an ecception than the rule.
    I also think that the Ouya uses too much red in its gamma compared to other sources, and this can be related to the issue.
    Most of the time I keep my OUYA offline: please consider it before inserting a phone-home/always online DRM in your game. If you still plan to do so, please declare it. You don't want pirates, I don't want to be frauded.

http://ouyaforum.com/showthread.php?12041-The-list-of-offline-working-games

I had the very same problem, but a nice little inspired fix came to me today. My thanks to all the clever people, who showed me the light!

Here was my problem: XBMC/Kodi's output was too dark, as were many Ouya titles. This apparently is related to "Limited/Full range RGB" as you probably know. The Ouya outputs full-range RGB, but some TVs (like mine) will only accept limited-range and this leads to black-crush. No amount of altering my TV's settings brought back the black-level/shadow detail.

I had wondered about installing an android gamma-adjustment program, but the most promising one required the Ouya to be rooted and that seems to be harder to do these days.

Reading the forums I finally came across one suggestion:
    http://www.freaktab.com/archive/inde...10139-p-7.html

It mentions "Screen Adjuster", a program on Google's app-store. This didn't need the device to be rooted, but did require "Google Play" which in turn does require the Ouya to be rooted. However, a search for "Screen Adjuster apk" brought up the necessary file. I think I downloaded mine from here:
    www.apk20.com/apk/112825/

From that point, I followed these steps (though there are other ways to install this):
    1) Transfer this apk file to a USB drive.
    2) Put the drive in the Ouya and navigate to that drive with FilePwn (available on the Ouya store).
    3) Select the apk file and install it; FilePwn will also install apks.
    4) The file is now found in (if memory serves): Make->Software. Run it.
    5) "Screen Adjuster Free" should now launch. At the top of the screen there is a button for activating the settings beneath it. Turn that button on.
    6) Go down to the contrast slider. Move it do the right, to a value you want to test (I started with "-45", which was about when the darkest black on my TV started to brighten (your TV, of course, may behave differently. When that happened, I moved the slider back to "-40" which made the black turn black again ... if you follow me :^)
    7) I launched XBMC and went to the pictures section. There I had copied a black-level reference image. I include that image here, but it originally comes from:
    http://www.nicolaspeople.com/ch3rokeesblog/?p=16

Load that image into XBMC; there are four rows of seven dark squares (with my previous set-up, before I tried any of this, I was only seeing about the bottom thirteen squares.)
    8) Have a look at the image for yourself - are you seeing all the squares? If not, go back to the "Screen Adjuster" program and alter the contrast value from your first test; for example, from "-40" to "-45", or from "-30 to -40". Then go back to XBMC, load up that reference image and see if all 28 squares are visible. Repeat as necessary. If you are seeing no change at all, make sure the button at the top of the "Screen Adjuster" screen is set to "ON".
    9) If in XBMC/Kodi you now see all 28 squares, go back to "Screen Adjuster" and change the contrast slider by a few points towards "0" (zero). You want to make this change so that your black-levels are not too bright. Go back to XBMC and keep checking the reference-image; you want the screen as dark as possible, but whilst still seeing all the squares. In my case, these small adjustments meant finally setting the contrast slider to "-35" (having first had it at "-40"). Your best value will most likely be different to mine; it depends on your TV settings.

So you have your black levels fixed (we hope). However two new slight problems were created in my case:
    1) the colour-strength had faded somewhat;
    2) the image was a little fainter than before.

I suppose when you decrease contrast, these effects are going to happen. In my TV settings, I fixed these quite simply by:
    1) Increasing the colour setting (on my TV it was an increase from 50/100 to 60/100).
    2) The slight faintness of the image was corrected by increasing the back-light setting on my TV (for me, from 7/10 to 9/10). The brightness setting of your TV may also work for you, but then you may need to make compensating changes in the "Screen Adjuster" app.

Now, the black-level reference-image looks perfect, the screen is bright, bold and vivid. Happily, these settings should work across all Ouya programs; for example, I had previously found the display of some emulators (Zelda: Ocarina of Time on Mupen64, for example) too dark in the shadow-end - now everything is working well.

The only drawback is that the "Screen Adjuster" app needs to be re-launched every time you re-boot the Ouya. I had thought that having "AutoPilot" (from the Ouya store) run "Screen Adjuster" with every Ouya restart would fix this, but "Screen Adjuster" still needs the user to "switch-on" the button at the top of its screen. However, if you can keep the Ouya in sleep-mode when not in use, you will not have to bother running "Screen Adjuster" constantly.

I hope this will serve some people well. There may be things I'm doing wrong and there are probably better ways to do this (such as the kind Ouya people including a full/limited-range RGB option (support for 50Hz screen modes would be nice too)) but it works and has made the Ouya a viable media-centre for me. I hope it may help you too.

Hmmm, this would explain why Shadowgun looked a heck of a lot better on my monitor than my tv. My tv can be adjusted to full range rgb but with the ps3 and 360 I get better results with limited.

*edit* yup, everything looks better with the tv set for full.