Close
Advertise Here
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Nitrogen_Widget is very sharp. hehe Originally that was the plan, that whole back center was supposed to be a solid, milled aluminum part that would act as the heat sink, but that didn't pan out because my machine was too small to handle the aluminum and was gonna cost way to much to get it professionally milled.

There will be plenty of surface area to disperse the heat, but it is a problem with more intensive games like FFIII. Without proper cooling, the game will experience lag and performance issue which I found out with my first OUYA portable. I did have to put a fan in that one. This one will have a much bigger heat sink and vents to help with that problem.

Beautiful brotha keep the pics coming!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Twitter~ @derty10
    YouTube~ .:derty's pro shop:.
    WiiU~ Ask for add

.:OUYA Games I Own:.

Zombie Driver HD
    Reagan Gorbachev
    Meganoid 2
    Back To Bed
    Pier Solar
    Fist Puncher
    Towerfall
    So Many Me
    Big Action Mega Fight!
    Duck Game
    Final Fantasy III
    Raiden Legacy
    Pocket RPG
    CLARC
    Groundskeeper 2
    Polarity
    Ice Rage
    Knightmare Tower
    Meltdown
    Heroes of Loot
    BombSquad
    Sine Mora
    Neon Shadow
    Pizza Boy
    FIST OF AWESOME
    MINIGORE2
    GunSlugs

Quote Originally Posted by Downing View Post
    Nitrogen_Widget is very sharp. hehe Originally that was the plan, that whole back center was supposed to be a solid, milled aluminum part that would act as the heat sink, but that didn't pan out because my machine was too small to handle the aluminum and was gonna cost way to much to get it professionally milled.

There will be plenty of surface area to disperse the heat, but it is a problem with more intensive games like FFIII. Without proper cooling, the game will experience lag and performance issue which I found out with my first OUYA portable. I did have to put a fan in that one. This one will have a much bigger heat sink and vents to help with that problem.
    you could always go for a copper heatsink to reduce size.
    would cost more & make it a little on the heavy side though.

It wasn't the material that was the issue, it was the time it would have taken given the design I had to do it. $300 bucks is a little steep for any part on this thing. hehe.

1 members found this post helpful.
    Been making quite a bit of progress these past couple of weeks. Got the custom PCBs in for the buttons and joy sticks that my buddy RDC did up for me. He's still working on the rest but they are getting there as the others will be pretty complicated. Getting excited to see this finally take shape, but of course, the real world and design never quite 100% line up. Have had to make a few changes based on things that I couldn't see while I was doing the design.

The boards as they arrived from OSHPark

The SMT micro tacts and the control stick pots in place

The front face layout as it stands so far. I played around with the OUYA button board when I was trying to fix an issue and I broke the pot so I have more on order.

More to come as I have yet another 3-Day work week that I've been trying to capitalize on. More to come shortly!

A bigger screen would be nicer but even with a 5" screen that looks like it will be a little bigger than most 7" tablets so I understand why.

And 300 dollars to mill a block of aluminum?
    Screw that. Grab a vice and a dremmel and free hand it . :-D

Quote Originally Posted by Nitrogen_Widget View Post
    A bigger screen would be nicer but even with a 5" screen that looks like it will be a little bigger than most 7" tablets so I understand why.

And 300 dollars to mill a block of aluminum?
    Screw that. Grab a vice and a dremmel and free hand it . :-D
    7 inch tablet is a phone

You can probably find aluminum much cheaper but it'll be slow boat from China unless you live near a fabricator.

Well like I said, the material wasn't the issue, the complexity of the part was the problem and to mill it out was going to cost the big bucks. My milling machine just couldn't handle the amount of material. Free-Handing wasn't an option. hehe.

What are you trying to mill? Size and all that. Not making any guarantees but I might know someone. I don't have that machine anymore so I can't do it.