1 members found this post helpful.
Downing's OUYA Portable V2
So as a few of you know, for the past close to 6 months now, I've been in production of new OUYA portable console. It is without a doubt the most complex project I've ever done and I've been doing so with a variety of new tools and fabrication techniques.
In September, I got my first 3D printer which has helped a huge amount with this, and on top of that, combining CNC, multiple materials and custom circuitry, are all rolling into one of the best projects of my life.
The case work is 90% done, I just got done painting the parts today and now I'll be able to start assembling the parts as I go. Every part on this has been designed, printed, CNC'd or otherwise custom made. But the big kicker that's going to set this apart from any other mod out there is going to remain a secret, at least until the I'm ready to reveal the finished unit.
Because I knew I'd be doing a 3D printed case, I decided that I'd go with a modular approach to making the casing. Milling out the front face ensures accuracy and finer cuts than a 3D printer would make. This also saved time and material over a 3D printed face because there was zero filling/sanding that was involved with this piece.
In total, there are 7 pieces that make up this casing. Each one tied into the main bracket in some way. 5 pieces make up the back side and two complete the front side.
The center piece here was supposed to originally be made from Aluminum, but my machine couldn't handle the size and to get it done on it's own was almost $300 from a machine shop. So, scratched that idea, but once you see the back complete, you'll know what I was going for.
So, now that the cat is outta the bag, I plan to use this as my work log thread so major updates will have a place to be seen on a regular basis. So stay tuned guys! More pics and more building is on the way!