Close
Advertise Here

Wanted Dead or Alive: OUYA Programmer

Helloooooo,

I'm looking for another newbie programmer to help me port my soon-to-be-complete-maybe-next-week game. I basically need someone with a Game Maker for windows that can take my (mac) GMK file, convert it, change the general controls in my code aka the vk's to the OUYA controls and publish it. I'll give you credit in the intro page and credits. The game will be free btw.

If for any reason you can't convert my mac gmk to windows (you can tho), I can always just give you all my stocks and code with a step by step of how to rebuild it in your GM, it's (it will be) fairly simple and small so it shouldn't take more than 1-2 hours at most and this is the worst case scenario.

Game Title: NyanFU (you can read the title however you like)

I ninja looted the gif from here: https://dribbble.com/shots/1661343-C...sers&offset=60
    and created a tileset of it in photoshop, made up of 6 different positions. This is the animation:

The main chara's name is Nyanfu, a kitty that has only one goal in mind, world domination. Due to the lack of chicken wings renders on the internet for me to use as collectibles, I decided to go with my rehashed sweets from a previous game of mine like shortcakes and muffins and stuff which is funny cause cats can die if they eat all that which is why this game will be rated PG 13 for cats worldwide.

I've compiled a demo of what the game would probably…errr, look like. Left out the collectibles, but added the enemies and that one poptart. These charas won't make it into the final game since they're copyright protected (kinda), well at least the Tokyo Ghoul chibis are anyway (Tokyo Ghoul season 2 coming out in January. GET HYPE)

In any case, the REAL purpose of the game is to guide Nyanfu to its final destination, the room full of poptarts while shooting enemies that will try to block its path. Now, I've been running into some weird glitches, some of them I can fix, however there's one that bugs me the most.

The Nyanfu animation is not flawless. I've used an image xscale technique for my code to literally mirror flip the cat when you switch it from left to right. Problem is, when I did this previously around the beginning of the year, I did it with a small pixelated object and it worked ok. I guess maybe it just went unnoticed back then. Thing is, and you can see in the youtube demo, when I go from left to right it instantly teleports in a mirror-like fashion. No idea how to get it to do that while in its current position.

Nyanfu movement + some of the animation code

// Moving left and right

if (keyboard_check(vk_right) && place_free(x+4,y) && !keyboard_check(vk_left)) {
    if (place_free(x,y+1)) {
    if(place_free(x+4,y+vspeed)) {
    sprite_index = spr_player_run2;
    image_speed = .4;
    image_xscale = 1;
    x+=4;

}
    } else {
    image_speed = .4;
    image_xscale = 1;
    x+=4;
    }
    } else if (keyboard_check(vk_left) && place_free(x-4,y) && !keyboard_check(vk_right)) {
    if (place_free(x,y+1)) {
    if(place_free(x-4,y+vspeed)) {
    image_speed = .4;
    image_xscale = -1;
    x-=4;
    }
    } else {
    x-=4;
    image_speed = .4;
    image_xscale = -1;
    }
    } else {
    sprite_index = spr_player;
    image_speed = 10;
    }

// Gravity
    if (place_free(x,y+1)) {
    gravity = .75;

// Set max fall speed
    if (vspeed >= 10) {
    vspeed = 10;
    }
    } else {
    gravity = 0;

// Jumping
    if (keyboard_check_pressed(vk_up)) {
    vspeed = -15;
    }
    }
    I can change it and use a different animation technique, the generic old one where you custom code each of its moves like assign left with animation left, right with animation right, and while you're no longer pressing left, it will switch to standing image left, same for right. Thing is, I'm not too fond of that one, mainly because I only know how to do it with the already-coded Game Maker moves and that really annoys me the most, I prefer coding it myself.

In any case, I had this idea, to have these glitches as a game feature. Since I won't be able to have any enemy animations, may as well add some sort of difficulty to the game, hence the glitches itself. lmao

So, what I did is, I kept this animation, changed ALL of my objects to solid, now whenever I shift from left to right, if the transition happens in the middle of a solid object it will get stuck, haha. So, I added a "Restart room" function when you press R to restart the level aka respawn. I made sure to not add any friction to the enemies as well as no movement code while on them, so you'll get stuck if you latch on in a funny way to them too. In order to shoot them down, I added as your projectiles the dragonballs (yes, you've heard me) and here's another giggle; I sped up the animation for the projectiles so from time to time you shoot multiple dragonballs at the same time and because they overlap you may not get to erase an enemy thus it becomes invincible and you have to restart the level. I did this by only setting the enemy HP to 5 but added no greater or lower function/s. The icing on the cake is the fact that you can't shoot through the "floating pads",so you have to jump on them and do the game step by step instead of just spawning projectiles all over the place. Your direction is only left and right for them.

In order to advance to the next level you have to reach the poptart (portal) and touch it. (Background song is this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qh5AHXaU-9M) That's pretty much it so far. It turned out into a pretty funny game but also frustrating. xD

Now, I plan on making from 30 to 50 levels of this type of game/play, some of the stocks will have to be replaced, but this will pretty much be the game. Let me know what you think and if you're interested in helping port/publish it.

We had a guy who wanted to help other Gamemaker devs get their games over but he hasn't been around in a while. Maybe there is someone else that can help on that.

sup,

so here's the other game I was talking about.

If someone isn't all that interested in helping port the first type of game in here, you may like this one. Somewhat simpler, a spaceship game with no gravity. I added only the left/right vk's and I decided to mix it up a bit and implement the up/down functions by GM commands directly and in those I put friction to both of them so now it has that smooth sliding that goes really well with the animation.

// Moving left and right

if (keyboard_check(vk_right) && place_free(x+4,y) && !keyboard_check(vk_left)) {
    image_speed = .4;
    x+=4;

} else if (keyboard_check(vk_left) && place_free(x-4,y)) {
    image_speed = .4;
    x-=4;

}
    Artwork from the same place as nyan, created the tileset afterwards and added a white borderline since it looked a lot sweeter that way. It pops-up more now in-game. Random fireball projectile to mow down the enemies. Free Royalty Sound Effects, etc.

Since this is a game where you have to fly around and usually you have to be fast at these things, the levels/background got an upgrade aka they're now bigger: http://i.want.tf/to/that/fFQK09n.png
    But for this demo presentation I made the view in the room smaller so it would be easier to test and experience that feeling that you want to bring to the players.

In any case if anyone wants to help port any or both of these types of games for the OUYA it would be really awesome. Like I said, I'd give you credit and they will be of course free to play entirely. We can work out the details like how big the view in the room should be, how many levels, what type of stocks and so on later. (I'll also be doing custom artwork in photoshop for it from the ground up, not just the usual gfx)

Even if you're a bystander, drop a comment and let me know what you think.

sure I can do it no problem! But if it's too involved a process, ie you might have used more or less obsolete functions I'd be willing to find work arounds for. The only thing I'll need other than the project file is for you to replace all in game controls instructions like "press arrow keys", etc need to be formatted for OUYA controller buttons. You can keep the keyboard_check()'s the same vk_*'s I can fix that but you need to do the visual part, That and I need to know which keyboard keys you want to be swapped with which OUYA buttons. Keep a backup of the original GMK so you still have it for your desktop versions.

I can leave publishing up to you and don't credit me for your game, because I'll get a stampede of GM users wanting me to port their games. This is a great exceptino I'm considering to port your game and it's because it looks freakin' awssome and it must of been a lot of work so I want that to not go unrewarded.

But if I can't port it to OUYA I might even more likely be able to port it to Windows and Linux if you'd like that because they use keyboards too making a lot easier, no need to change game controls. I have GMStudio master collection and GM 8.1 so any obsolete functions? GM 8.1 to my knowledge has everything GM4Mac has so if nothing else I'm REALLY hoping to port it to windows if nothing else, so we'll see how all this goes, my email is samuelvenable [AT] hotmail [DOT] com

edit also for linux you should try out ENIGMA since it supports more functions from GM4Mac and other legacy GM than GMStudio does.

www.enigma-dev.org

I have a linux so depeneding on how much time all this other stuff eats out of my schedule I (might) be willing try this as well

PLEASE don't get your hopes up this all depends on how smooth the porting goes!
    Last edited by timekillergames; 12-11-2014 at 05:44 PM.

hey man,

thanks for getting my message. uh, yeah that'd be great. I would change them for the OUYA however the mac version is an old discontinued one that doesn't have any ouya support.

You can keep the keyboard_check()'s the same vk_*'s I can fix that
    ^if you could handle that aspect thatd be awesome, thanks.

And on the other note of porting them to the windows/linux that would be even more amazing and yes I would agree, go for it if you want to. (maybe even have them published on other platforms in this format)

I will get right on re-creating the entire game/s and get back to you as soon as I can. (couple of days, week most) since I have/want to do as much as I can graphics wise by myself and rely as little as possible on free stocks with no copy-right infringement, but it will be pretty much the same visually. And with the added levels and so on.
    Last edited by Razvan_Asakura; 12-13-2014 at 02:30 PM.