Close
Advertise Here
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

1 members found this post helpful.

External Storage Recommended Specs

External Storage Recommended Specs from OUYA

USB minimum requirements:

Note: Using a USB storage device that does not meet the minimum performance requirements might significantly affect the performance of your console.

USB 2.0 or higher USB Flash Drive
    A minimum of 1 GB storage capacity.
    Formatted with the FAT32, NTFS, or EXT4 file systems.
    Maximum unpowered draw of 5V

USB suggested requirements:

USB 2.0 or higher USB Flash Drive
    Up to 64GB of storage capacity
    Formatted with the FAT32 file system
    10MB/s minimum performance
    Maximum unpowered draw of 5V

Note: If a drive is partitioned, we will only ready the first partition. If the first partition is unreadable, we do NOT attempt to read other partitions.

Note: We do not recommend the use of SD card readers or high-capacity SATA drives over USB 2.0, powered or unpowered. While these devices may work, we do not fully support them at this time.

Now this is useful, especially knowing that the officially supported limit is 64Gb. If I see that the 500Gb hard disc I'm using is giving me trouble, I'll probably get one of those small flash drives.

I'm using one of these: capacity=500GB, format=EXT4.
    Most of the time I keep my OUYA offline: please consider it before inserting a phone-home/always online DRM in your game. If you still plan to do so, please declare it. You don't want pirates, I don't want to be frauded.

http://ouyaforum.com/showthread.php?12041-The-list-of-offline-working-games

But what drives should We buy then?

EDIT: Can I go and buy this one? -> http://www.amazon.com/Kingston-Digit.../dp/B00LIXJ54K

I found many USB flash drives of about this size, last time I got to MediaWorld (I don't know if it changes name where you live Magler, I remember in Austria it was MediaMarkt). I like the fact that probably you plug that in and forget you did it. So carefree
    Most of the time I keep my OUYA offline: please consider it before inserting a phone-home/always online DRM in your game. If you still plan to do so, please declare it. You don't want pirates, I don't want to be frauded.

http://ouyaforum.com/showthread.php?12041-The-list-of-offline-working-games

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffry84 View Post
    I found many USB flash drives of about this size, last time I got to MediaWorld (I don't know if it changes name where you live Magler, I remember in Austria it was MediaMarkt). I like the fact that probably you plug that in and forget you did it. So carefree
    That I was thinking about too

You know, this was posted somewhere else on the forum, in a thread, and got lost in the shuffle. I've been recommending 64GB for people using it for games because as of now the games aren't going to fill that. I figured it was a cheap option for people instead of having to go buy a hard drive. (I must have missed it being posted the first time....ssshhhhhh)

Quote Originally Posted by Magler View Post
    But what drives should We buy then?

EDIT: Can I go and buy this one? -> http://www.amazon.com/Kingston-Digit.../dp/B00LIXJ54K
    This is the one I bought for the USB beta trail and have not had a single issue yet. It is formatted FAT32. Plus there is no way all the games on the system would come close to filling it.

http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Cruzer...HHZET1ND56CZKB

Magistrate of Altered States Schizophretard's Avatar

I bought this one http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Cruzer..._vg_21?ie=UTF8 recently and it is on its way because the 32GB version is listed with Frequently Bought Together, the 64GB is listed with Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought, and I want the most space. My reasoning is that it is probably the 64GB thumb drive that is most owned by OUYA owners and if they aren't having as many issues then it is my best bet and if they are having issues then it is ones that get reported to OUYA for them to fix which would still be my best bet. In other words, I'm betting on the one most likely used by most users.

I'm using this flashdrive straight from the box without formatting it first and it works. Not sure if it is USB 3.0 or not, it doesn't say on the packaging.

EDIT: This may not be the fastest flashdrive but I found it enough to play games off of it. And I'm thinking this is USB 2.0 only. Old product.
    Last edited by Sluup; 11-28-2014 at 05:35 PM.
    Signature Pending...

I have been using a toshiba 500GB USB HDD with almost no problems for about a year now, The only problem i have is that it has to be connected to the ouya before i turn the ouya on for it to recognize it. But i think other USB sticks i tried did the same thing