Close
Advertise Here
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

get Ouya in portrait mode on the tv or rotate 90 degrees

Ok can this be done, im screwing around with droid99 which is a TI99 emulator and it works on tablets because you can just rotate your tablet to get into portrait mode. Can you do this with Ouya ? Lol

You only get to see the apps keyboard and load buttons in portrait mode, in landscape all you will see is the title screen. I think it would work on the ouya if i can just change the display ! Lol

Do some searches on build.prop and portrait mode.
    I've nevever used it but its possible with some devices to set the default mode through that.

Do not know about ouya though.

OUYA Developer Eldon.McGuinness's Avatar

Would not the target app do this when it started? I'd doubt the ouya launcher takes it into consideration and thus is likely quite ugly in that mode.

TV sticks are usually locked in the horizontal at the system level so an app can't over ride it.

I've run some portrait only apps on ouya that I side loaded and they displayed vertically but with black bars on the sides so I'm assuming ouya locked also.

Quote Originally Posted by Eldon.McGuinness View Post
    Would not the target app do this when it started? I'd doubt the ouya launcher takes it into consideration and thus is likely quite ugly in that mode.
    The app lets you choose the screen orientation for each app/game and it works very well on Ouya.

Hey, that app did the job. Both JZintv4droid(intellivision) and Droid99(Texas Instruments TI99) now work on Ouya although small screen and now i g0tta contact the devs and see if they can give them gamepad support...

Quote Originally Posted by Oldkid Livegen View Post
    The app lets you choose the screen orientation for each app/game and it works very well on Ouya.
    ORLLY?

I am surprised by this since it wouldn't work on my android stick.

OUYA Developer Eldon.McGuinness's Avatar

@DashingW, I'm not sure if you bought that app or not yet, but does it acutally allow you to turn the app on its side or is it showing portrait with black bars on the side? I have been working to get this functionality built into my Launcher application on the OUYA called BootyCall and would love to know how far this app was able to get you with the rotation bit.

I have been able to get applications to show with the black bars on the side, but have not been able to get it to work in a TRUE portrait mode by which I mean if you turned your TV 90 degrees it would look like a giant portrait view.

Quote Originally Posted by Eldon.McGuinness View Post
    @DashingW, I'm not sure if you bought that app or not yet, but does it acutally allow you to turn the app on its side or is it showing portrait with black bars on the side? I have been working to get this functionality built into my Launcher application on the OUYA called BootyCall and would love to know how far this app was able to get you with the rotation bit.

I have been able to get applications to show with the black bars on the side, but have not been able to get it to work in a TRUE portrait mode by which I mean if you turned your TV 90 degrees it would look like a giant portrait view.

Editing the build.prop should give you full screen in portrait mode. ro.sf.hwrotation=90