Close
Advertise Here
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Animated Game Icons

Someone please tell me again: why is it that we don't have animated game icons? I'm not talking about anything grand but something simple that keeps the OUYA menu from looking stale.

OUYA Developer Eldon.McGuinness's Avatar

I've never really been a fan of that, just a little too ADD for me

Administrative Queen of Evil RiotingSpectre's Avatar

Moved & read this post.

Quote Originally Posted by RiotingSpectre View Post
    Moved & read this post.
    I forgot all about that thread. It still bugs me that nobody else talks about the possibility. Hell, as far as I know, even Android TV does not include animated icons. -would go a nice way, making OUYA look a step above Android TV.
    Last edited by LightyKD; 11-03-2014 at 01:37 AM.

Magistrate of Altered States Schizophretard's Avatar

I'm curious if it would make the black tiles load even slower. It seems to struggle with that and it seems like animating them would make it worse. However, I would like something similar to that but more like it switching between game tiles and screen shots.

I also think it would increase the loading times a lot. It would also mean for the developers or artists to create more frames for the image, and that can cost in terms of overall quality financially, artistically and format wise. Personally I like them static, it's the closest thing to a shelf on which my game covers are placed.
    Most of the time I keep my OUYA offline: please consider it before inserting a phone-home/always online DRM in your game. If you still plan to do so, please declare it. You don't want pirates, I don't want to be frauded.

http://ouyaforum.com/showthread.php?12041-The-list-of-offline-working-games

How good would a recording of an HD game scaled down to the size of our icons actually look?
    I'm assuming the animated icon would be a movie of game play like you see when you go to a games properties.

I was think about something similar to this video I'm posting. (Skip to 2:29). Simple animations as trying to place full videos in the banners would be a resource hog and make things really slow.

Also, before anyone goes on the whole "Lighty is trying to turn OUYA into a Wii tangent", you can't deny that the original Wii in terms of functionality and features was a low end console done and marketed correctly. Quite frankly, EVERY Android "console" should be learning lessons from the device and try to go further. Games aside, and even to this date, the Original Wii never feels "dead". I love my OUYA but when I turn on and navigate the menu, it's just silence until I open up a game or app. Nothing about it speaks " Party Time!" From boot up till shut down, a console should always make you feel as if the fun is always around the corner, whether it's via gaming, watching (listening to, reading) media or even the shopping experience. The current OUYA menu has a nice design but it needs a slight jolt.

I don't think you're trying to make the WiiOuya so to speak, Lighty.
    Nitrogen_Widget's comment made me think of the PS3's game animated icons + optional custom background and BGM. Cool, but you get used to it soon and it can be expensive and therefore out of the reach of smaller developers.
    Most of the time I keep my OUYA offline: please consider it before inserting a phone-home/always online DRM in your game. If you still plan to do so, please declare it. You don't want pirates, I don't want to be frauded.

http://ouyaforum.com/showthread.php?12041-The-list-of-offline-working-games

It seems to struggle with that and it seems like animating them would make it worse. However, I would like something similar to that but more like it switching between game tiles and screen shots.???

__________________________________________________ _________

www.learnalanguage.com/learn-english/
    www.learnalanguage.com/learn-dutch/
    https://brownsenglish.edu.au/