Close
Advertise Here
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Arcade Stick Recommendations?

I'm having a hard time finding an arcade stick to use with my OUYA. I know the X-Arcade sticks work, but they are kind of big and cost more than I want to spend right now. I heard the Neo Geo X might work, just not a lot of info out there. Looking for something in the medium to low price range. Thanks.

Inebriated Staff Ninja DrunkPunk's Avatar

1 members found this post helpful.
    Ever thought of making your own?

You can buy actual Happ sticks and whatever button style you would like for less than $30. The USB controller will set you back a bit, but it's worth it to have something that you've made yourself and set to just how you like it.
    DrnkPnk says, "Obey The Beard!"
    I helped create a mini-game in Explosive Dinosaurs. Otakupunk played it, and now you can too!

That's a good idea, I might start looking in to that.

There's a nice sized community for MAME enthusiasts. They are more PC centric, naturally, but as for everything else it's a good reference.

I commented on your other post about our member AJB and his cabinets, which use OUYAs. I'm sure he will be along shortly and will be far more informative than myself.
    Last edited by DrunkPunk; 10-21-2014 at 06:13 PM. Reason: My space bar sucks.
    I helped create a mini-game in Explosive Dinosaurs. Otakupunk played it, and now you can too!

Quote Originally Posted by brianunfried View Post
    That's a good idea, I might start looking in to that.
    Lots of choices(joystick type,solid buttons, led buttons, layout, etc) to choose from if you build your own. Like Drunk Punk mentioned the USB encoder is the most expensive and important part. You want to make sure to get one that works with the Ouya. Stay away from the $10-12 zero delay ones as they work with stock android but not the Ouya launcher for some reason. Let me know if you have any questions.

Here's one we built with a matching Ouya case.
    2014-10-21.jpg
    burdbroscustomarcade.us

Quote Originally Posted by ajb999 View Post
    Here's one we built with a matching Ouya case.
    2014-10-21.jpg
    Snazzy! Did you reuse the backplate on the wooden case?
    Last edited by DrunkPunk; 10-21-2014 at 07:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DrunkPunk View Post
    Snazzy! Did you reuse the backplate on the wooden case?
    The back of the wooden case was cut out in the ovalish shape of the original case then a thin metal piece was cut to fit as a replacement for the backplate. The original plate's shape didn't work well with the wooden case so the replacement made it a lot easier.

Another option I was researching is to get an iCade Core ($17.99 on Amazon right now) and moding it with a Cade-Shield USB ($10). Basically turns it into a USB arcade stick.

http://www.amazon.com/iCade-Arcade-C...rds=icade+core

https://www.tindie.com/products/itap...mbledusb-only/

That's a great price on the iCade Core even with $10 shipping. A joystick and 8 buttons is going to run you close to $30 anyways. If the encoder used in it is compatible with the Ouya you could use it as a wireless arcade stick with no mods. I'm tempted to buy a couple just for the hardware and if the bluetooth encoder works with the Ouya even better. If not I'm sure we could find another use for it.

The $10 cade shield you are linking to will do you no good by itself. It is built to be used with a teensy 3.1 encoder. If you want to convert it over to USB you would have to get the Caduino($45) on that site and replace the encoder that comes in the iCade. A cheaper option would be to use a xin-mo usb encoder. About $25 for one of them.

xin-mo encoder
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/221169675124?lpid=82
    burdbroscustomarcade.us

Quote Originally Posted by ajb999 View Post
    That's a great price on the iCade Core even with $10 shipping. A joystick and 8 buttons is going to run you close to $30 anyways. If the encoder used in it is compatible with the Ouya you could use it as a wireless arcade stick with no mods. I'm tempted to buy a couple just for the hardware and if the bluetooth encoder works with the Ouya even better. If not I'm sure we could find another use for it.

The $10 cade shield you are linking to will do you no good by itself. It is built to be used with a teensy 3.1 encoder. If you want to convert it over to USB you would have to get the Caduino($45) on that site and replace the encoder that comes in the iCade. A cheaper option would be to use a xin-mo usb encoder. About $25 for one of them.

xin-mo encoder
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/221169675124?lpid=82
    Ah, thanks for the info. I don't think the iCore can be synced to the OUYA because it requires a passcode. Maybe I'll buy two iCade Cores to get free shipping and use the parts to build a 2 player stick.