Close
Advertise Here

View Poll Results: Would you like to see a Kinect-like Device on OUYA?

Voters
93. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

32 34.41%
  • No

37 39.78%
  • Unsure/Don't Care

24 25.81%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Would you like to see Kinect-like Controls on OUYA?

There has been a lot of discussion on whether or not there will be a Kinect-like control device for the OUYA. OUYA has not announced anything, but could they? Or could a third party?

Would you like to see a Kinect-like Device on OUYA?

Chats

From a developer point of view: I would. It would be fun to develop sth for such controls.
    From a player point of view: nah, I'm to lazy to move while playing. But maybe it would be good for my health.

I think you could actually plug a Microsoft Kinect into the OUYA, since it is USB, and there are drivers and API's for it out on the internet (though no idea if they work with java). However, the xbox360 didn't really have enough processing power to do anything useful with it, and I don't think the OUYA has either.

Would be cool for hackers. Maybe stick a Kinect on a robot, along with an OUYA to control it. That'd be cool, but I voted no as far as having OUYA work on an official one. I think there are much better uses of resources, and the applications would be for hackers rather than for any sort of large-scale usage in games
    @JamesACoote
    Executive Star now available on OUYA Discover

Personally?
    NO!

I love mouse+keyboard, or joypad/joystick.
    Stop.

Strange things with sensors will let me to abandon the videogames, if they'll take the head.

Chats

Depends what is meant by Kinect-like. Some features of Kinect work better than the others.

Personally, I think voice command recognition would be nice.

As far as recognizing movement and gestures, something like Leapmotion would be more than adequate. It doesn't sense full body movement, but it makes up for it with the hand gesture precision. Plus.. in my opinion, the "exercise" games are a bit of a fad.

It fits into the realm of "inexpensive, but pretty powerful" category that OUYA is in. I don't think Leap currently supports Android or has Linux drivers available, but it seems like a natural partnership if OUYA were to approach them for a branded device.

Chats

I dont know about anything as formal as a Kinect, but I was thinking it would be nifty to have a webcam of some sort to skype with.

Chats

Re: Would you like to see Kinect-like Controls on OUYA?

Kinect is good for dance games and kids games. I have tried dance central and Kinect Adventures, those are decent games. I doubt OUYA is console for ppl loving those games. Also I think producing kinect controlled games is much more time consuming and expensive than using gamepad.

Chats

just keep it old skool gaming and keep the costs down too

Chats

Quote Originally Posted by James Andrew Coote View Post
    I think you could actually plug a Microsoft Kinect into the OUYA, since it is USB, and there are drivers and API's for it out on the internet (though no idea if they work with java). However, the xbox360 didn't really have enough processing power to do anything useful with it, and I don't think the OUYA has either.

Would be cool for hackers. Maybe stick a Kinect on a robot, along with an OUYA to control it. That'd be cool, but I voted no as far as having OUYA work on an official one. I think there are much better uses of resources, and the applications would be for hackers rather than for any sort of large-scale usage in games
    It's not really a problem with processing as it is a problem with the kinect not having enough resolution to properly react to the player's movements and reading small parts of the body. Besides, not having an official accessory never really stopped games from supporting them.

Chats

Are you kidding me? No way. I'd like to see support for voice chat for online play, and how about that Oculus Rift huh? let's keep moving forward here.
    a trailer for the OUYA game I'm currently developing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=KgzWKonNpws