• Yes

45 78.95%
  • No

5 8.77%
  • Undecided

7 12.28%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

First Party Games on OUYA?

From a recent interview with Kotaku: http://kotaku.com/5984339/looking-fo...game-for-ouya?

When Ouya was Kickstarted, people gave about $7.5 million more to crowd-fund the console than Uhrman and her team asked for. Much of that money will pay for the consoles that early funders were essentially paying for. But could some of that money go to the kind of first-party, in-house game development that can ensure a console some games of its own? "'Should we do this ourselves?'" Uhrman pondered to me. "We haven't decided."
    First Party in this context means OUYA, or a game development studio completely owned by them making games for the OUYA.
    Last edited by James Andrew Coote; 02-14-2013 at 07:15 PM. Reason: Edited title
    @JamesACoote
    Executive Star now available on OUYA Discover

Banned

Yeah, I think so, although it might be a better idea for Boxer8 to just own a game development studio that works on games for the OUYA.

So long as they try not to overshadow third party games on the marketplace or anything, I have no objections to the idea.

1 members found this post helpful.
    I think another avenue they could take is, pay for and support development for games that already on the right path but need help. Similar to what Capcom did with Street Figher x Mega Man.

Quote Originally Posted by James Andrew Coote View Post
    From a recent interview with Kotaku: http://kotaku.com/5984339/looking-fo...game-for-ouya?

First Party in this context means OUYA, or a game development studio completely owned by them making games for the OUYA.
    Technically, I think that means first party or second party. But it doesn't really matter. As long as the games are good, I am totally supporting it.

Thinking of something to create by Ouya themselves.

Ouya could create the feeling to have something exclusive you are part of. How?

I never played "Second life".
    But a remake of it with a world inhabited by Ouya-Owners would be great.
    You could also integrate the Ouya-Store as a Store in this world.

I'd be willing to sell my game studio to them for a million, and become their first-party developer. Of course, my game studio is...just me...
    Last edited by Dreamzle; 02-14-2013 at 08:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by salvasaur View Post
    I think another avenue they could take is, pay for and support development for games that already on the right path but need help. Similar to what Capcom did with Street Figher x Mega Man.
    This goes along with my mindset too, and is kind of similar to the discussion of whether or not OUYA needs a mascot. Let OUYA be a hardware company, and have developers run with the software. I think OUYA fits better developing a community, not necessarily being in the community.

I still like visualizing OUYA as Steam for Indies, but whereas Steam/Valve has TF2, L4D, HL2 etc, I don’t think an OUYA developed game would fit as well into an indie scene. I feel like an OUYA developed game would be more AAA than fitting at first. If down the line, OUYA draws in a bunch of AAA games, then it would make sense to OUYA to develop, but for now, let developers create without the financial backing of Hardware sales (and special treatment etc)

I always assumed that when the Ouya team got all that money atleast a portion of it would be spent on helping developers making games for the Ouya.

An example is Giana Sisters: Twisted dreams. That game would be totally awesome on the Ouya. The Ouya team should spend the 50k or whatever it would cost to port it to the console.

That would be awesome!

I support the idea! Console wars are won by games (only exception...Dreamcast maybe...)