Close
Advertise Here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Inebriated Staff Ninja DrunkPunk's Avatar
    I dig the look of it. I especially like the little block guys hopping around.
    DrnkPnk says, "Obey The Beard!"
    I helped create a mini-game in Explosive Dinosaurs. Otakupunk played it, and now you can too!

Is the background procedurally generated? This is looking like something I would play for sure!
    Creators of Super Renegade Response, Rush Hour Mayhem and Colour Combat

I've bought so many games I can't list them on my sig now lol.

Click for list

Yes, each time a new column of tiles is to appear the roof and floor are more or less randomly moved up or down. (The darker tiles you see in the background are just a set of fixed columns that keep scrolling without changing, except for their color which is a darker shade of the current sector color.)

Quote Originally Posted by Foppy View Post
    The single color tiles have now been replaced with a repeating rock texture. The background shows the same, only larger. Here's a current video:

P.S. This game is being written in Actionscript 3 (Adobe Air) and uses the Starling framework. For my graphics I use Paint.net, and sound effects are created with SFXR.
    Things I like:

It seems playable and smooth

Things I DON'T like:

The terrain is too simple.
    I'd like to see soft hills, curves, not only a "boring" sequence of 90 degrees blocks.
    (is that a limit of Actionscript? If not, you MUST improve the game!)

p.s.
    I'm waiting to hear the musics, I love chip tunes, hope for something "retro-oriented"
    If you don't try, you'll never know.

Yes the blocks are a bit simple. It's not a limitation of actionscript, just a limitation of my current engine. I wanted to keep it relatively simple to program. Maybe hills and other things to make the landscape more exciting can be in Mercurian 2!
    Last edited by Foppy; 01-28-2015 at 07:55 AM.

Some progress was made on this game over the last couple of weeks. The online high score table is working. It uses names of just three characters as seen in old arcade games. Mainly because I do not want to worry too much about swear words. I talked about this in the chat with Eldon and he suggested using regular expressions to filter out bad words in longer names, good advice indeed but in the end I decided to take the easier route. I still added a small list of funny words one could construct or hint at using three characters, including a few Dutch ones of course (just in case I'd drink a few beers and decide to vandalize my own game).

The high score table shows a maximum of the 100 best scores of the current month. (First I thought about also showing today's best scores but different timezones would make this confusing and not work.)

While playing the high score ranking based on the current score (and on the most recently downloaded high score data) is displayed next to the score. This idea I borrowed from Sine Mora (edit: and/or Kosmik Revenge!), I think.

I added enemies that crawl on the ceiling and drop down when the player shoots them or gets too close. Then they fall on the ground and continue walking, and sometimes pause to shoot some fireballs at the player. Another addition is blue guys, which are alternatives to the green guys. The blue guys fire bouncing lasers. These and the other enemy types make first appearances at different moments, and after that at increasing rates, so as the player flies from one level to the next the screen becomes increasingly crowded. I am smearing out the enemies a bit more than before to make sure most people will be able to play for at least a few minutes before losing all three lives. Maybe some flying enemies will still be added.
    Last edited by Foppy; 02-26-2015 at 08:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Foppy
    While playing the high score ranking based on the current score (and on the most recently downloaded high score data) is displayed next to the score. This idea I borrowed from Sine Mora, I think.
    Sounds like Kosmik Revenge
    Racin-Games, creator of Sirenium ~ Forever After ~ .. come check us out here! http://www.racin-games.com
    Forum Page: http://ouyaforum.com/showthread.php?...-Forever-After
    If you want your game/app reviewed, let me know! I'll ReviOUYA. Will also do previews and such as well. http://reviouya.wordpress.com/
    Play like me! http://ouyaforum.com/showthread.php?...imega&p=119559

Sounds like Kosmik Revenge
    Yes you are probably right! I thought I remembered seeing it during gameplay (in a video) but it shows the next score to beat between levels.

The game has been published on OUYA Discover. Thread in Current Games:

Mercurian - Foppygames