Close
Advertise Here
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Mercurian - horizontal shmup

New thread is here: http://ouyaforum.com/showthread.php?...ian-Foppygames

I have started work on a horizontal shoot 'em up called Mercurian. So far I have a player ship and a cave-like tunnel as seen in the following picture.

Last edited by Kaimega; 03-21-2015 at 03:07 PM.

Here's a video similar to the above picture. There will be a simple system of power ups that increase the level of your weapons. I'm thinking when the player gets hit, a life is lost and one level of power is removed again. For enemies I have in mind, typical things like walkers, crawlers, gun turrets, hyves with enemies inside, flyers, etc.

Last edited by Foppy; 09-17-2014 at 04:33 PM.

pretty promising

I'd like to see a good horizontal shmup, Do you have in mind the style of the visuals?
    If you don't try, you'll never know.

The visuals will be like in the video. Simple tiles with some extra shapes added to them. I will experiment with different colors. The player and enemies will be small colorful sprites, without much shading. So I guess I do not (yet) have a particular stye in mind in terms of "an alien world" or "dark and moody", except for "blocky, simple and colorful". One reason for the surroundings being rather blocky and simple is that it is auto-generated and based on square tiles.
    Last edited by Foppy; 09-17-2014 at 04:34 PM.

Some more work has been done on this game. (I stopped playing World of Warcraft for the moment, so that helps.) I have added volcanos, bunkers (out of which robots will come), and gun turrets that aim and shoot at the player. There are also explosions and particles and I have begun writing the online high score table. Besides that, what is planned for the future includes: a seconday weapon system that lets the player use three weapons (probably mortar, rocket, and lasers) in addition to the standard gun (so each of the OUYA buttons fires a different weapon); a power-up system that increases the power of all weapons step by step; flying enemies; walking ground enemies such as robots from bunkers; destructible walls; flying enemies that create walls; jumping enemies; a system that steadily increases the number of enemies on screen.

I also received kind permission from a musician to use his music in my game. I don't want to say what music it is yet (because I don't want to give everything away before the game is finished) but I found it on this great website: http://indiegamemusic.com/

Last edited by Foppy; 11-26-2014 at 09:18 PM.

I have added robots that come out of bunkers, that will eventually lob grenades at the player. There will be a second type of robot with laser guns, the shots reflecting off walls. Next will be a level system. I think there will be sectors of a certain length, with destructible walls in between. Each sector will be more difficult than the last one. Here is a short video without player input and collision detection, the music is from Youtube and will not be in the game:

Like it!!!!!

The single color tiles have now been replaced with a repeating rock texture. The background shows the same, only larger. Here's a current video:

P.S. This game is being written in Actionscript 3 (Adobe Air) and uses the Starling framework. For my graphics I use Paint.net, and sound effects are created with SFXR.
    Last edited by Foppy; 01-25-2015 at 10:01 PM.

Did you intend for the ship to look like Opa-Opa, or is that a coincidence?

Funny that you mention that, someone else also told me, but it is a coincedence. I had not seen Opa Opa before! Or maybe I have forgotten and subconsciously used the same colors.