Close
Advertise Here
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Power Panic - control and conquer (working title) Space shooter/rts

So I want to do a round of play testing over the weekend, whoever would be interested say so and tomorrow, or later tonight, I'll send a link to the download through the forum.

In this phase of play testing I'll need help with balancing a number of features. In game there will be a tester menu where you can change just about every feature of the game. Each tester that spends a decent amount of time (30 minutes minimum maybe?) playing and finding the combination they like and reporting it back to me will get the full game free when it gets released on OUYA.

So basically just play it and tell me what option settings you like the most, also any comments on the AI will be greatly appreciated.

Now about the game.

It's one or two players, no co-op mode currently. So either alone or VS.

You'll spawn as a fighter and the goal is to conquer your enemy, you'll have allies to assist you controlled by the computer. Help them out by harassing the enemies and capturing planets. In later versions you'll be able to command your forces and dictate how defenses should be built as you lead from the front line as a space ship, but right now your role is limited.

So either message me or post here if you want me to message you a link. Would appreciate feed back on or before Monday if you can.

Thanks in advance for the help!

people who messaged me about testing
    drunkpunk
    rhellik
    Last edited by Eric Blackburn; 06-20-2014 at 09:09 PM.

I would be up for it! I have a three month old baby in the house so its difficult to know how much or little time I would have, but I would be willing to give it a shot. Sounds like fun!

Banned

I would be willing to help. Make my fiancee help me

Sent from my LGL55C using Tapatalk 2

Okay got 3 testers so far, would love more!

PM me or post here if you'd like me to message you a link.

I messed with it a little bit, is there any setting that effects the length the bullets travel?

Also which settings are for our players and which are for the opponents? It would be really helpful if you listed what each setting does exactly so we know what exactly we are adjusting and that way we can observe the changes better.

Thanks

All options affect everyone equally, right now you use the same set of options as the A.I.

And here's a little description of what each setting does.
    tankHealth 100 // option 1 health of the larger ship
    scoutHealth 50 // option 2 health of smaller

tankTurningSpeed 5 // option 3 how faster larger one turns
    scoutTurningSpeed 5 // option 4 how fast the smaller one turns

tankSpeed 20 // option 5 how quick larger one is
    scoutSpeed 30 // option 6 how quick smaller one is

bulletSpeed 40 //option 7 how quickly the bullet moves

tankBulletTime 40 // option 8 how long the shots from the larger ones stay in game before disappearing
    scoutBulletTime 40 // option 9 how long shots from smaller one lasts in game

tankAttack 25 // option 10 damage done by tank shots
    scoutAttack 15 // option 11 damage done by scout shots

roomWidth 5120 // option 12 how wide the room is
    roomHeight 5120 // option 13 how tall the room is
    viewSize 1800 // option 14 how big the view size is , set it larger and you'll see more around your tank. AI's line of sight duplicates this so they won't see you if you can't see them.

fireDelayTank 20 // option 15 how long it is between shots for larger ship
    fireDelayScout 20// option 16 how long it is between shots for the smaller ship

Hopefully that helps anyone testing a bit!

Thanks for the quick response.

I noticed you said "AIs line of sight duplicates this so they won't see you if you can't see them."

That's a problem I was having, maybe it was a setting I messed with, I will try again but it seemed like I was getting shot by ships off the screen that I couldn't see.

Do we regenerate life? Are you thinking of adding a life bar?

No life regen right now, and yeah health bar is for sure a good idea. I'm thinking I'll add a shield that regens and your armor that doesn't.

Lowering the time that bullets are out should fix that, unless those stupid scouts decide to go off screen. Little cheaters, I need to find a way to make it so that they don't do that as other testers have reported they like to go off screen to shoot the player and confuse the other AI.

United States, Earth, Milkyway, the Other Side of the Gate, Existance

1 members found this post helpful.
    Power Panic looks nice so far!

Here's my attempt at balancing the settings...
    (The options left out are ones that are un-changed)
    Tank Turning Speed: 8 //If it were too low, close-range would be impossible, and it would be almost 100% success rate for Scout.
    Scout Turning Speed: 12 //Just to match the movement speed
    Tank Speed: 15 //Strikes from a moderate distrance in order to succeed.
    Scout Speed: 30 //Speedily glides by, preparing to win.
    Bullet Speed: 76 //Not so slow as to bore someone to death, but not too fast.
    Tank Attack: 50 //Needs a slower speed to compensate for strength- 2 hit kill...
    Scout Attack: 20 //Fits the speed well- should have more graceful movements, to compensate for it's weakness.
    Fire Delay Tank: 47 //A con to the power.
    Fire Delay Scout: 30 //So that the Scout can't obliterate the Tank at sub-2 second speeds.
    Tank Bullet Time: 75 //vv
    Scout Bullet Time: 40 //Lightweight and quick- Makes the Scout move in at a closer range, making aiming challenging for the Tank difficult, while the Scout finds surviving from far away difficult due to the Tank's Bullet Time.

I tested if the above was balanced by letting the game do it's thing- sure enough, after a while there were (About) equal amounts of Tanks and Scouts... The Scouts were too dim, however, to realize that they were about 5 spaces too far from the Tanks for their bullets to even hit them! (Both sides were basically camping on opposite sides of the map, and some Scouts infiltrated the Tanks, which rattled things up enough so that Tanks didn't snipe out too many Scouts.)

1 members found this post helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Blackburn View Post
    No life regen right now, and yeah health bar is for sure a good idea. I'm thinking I'll add a shield that regens and your armor that doesn't.

Lowering the time that bullets are out should fix that, unless those stupid scouts decide to go off screen. Little cheaters, I need to find a way to make it so that they don't do that as other testers have reported they like to go off screen to shoot the player and confuse the other AI.
    Yeah a shield would be good. What would be sweet is if a neutral ship goes through the stage at random times, if someone destroyed the ship it drops some kinda random shield or power up that could be temporary.