Close
Advertise Here
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Administrative Queen of Evil RiotingSpectre's Avatar

2 members found this post helpful.

[Tip] How To Tell If You Don't Have Enough Storage To Download A Game/Application.

We've all hit this screen once or twice before and that's the "Too Many Games" screen. However, sometimes this screen may come as a surprise considering that you have a lot of storage. Because of a recent situation with the likes of The Cave I was given what may be the most sought after answer since why bologna is made into circles when bread slices are square. For me I had 2.4gb of on-board storage left on my console when I went to download The Cave and got the infamous too many games screen. I had thought this was a bug so I reported it to a faithful companion and received an answer that I didn't expect.

"It depends what you are trying to download. Each download requires the listed APK size x2 + 512MB buffer. So, if you are downloading a 1 GB game you need to have 2.512GB for the APK to unpack, you get the extra 1GB back after the install, and the 512 MB is a default Android buffer".

Essentially, if you try to download something while having storage and still getting that screen then do the math. The Cave was roughly three gigabytes of data which meant that on my internal storage, it wasn't possible. Thought this was a good tip to share and thanks to the person who gave me this response.

Thank you, Riot! Great to have a more precise way to predict if I can download an apk or not, or how much space do I have to free.
    Most of the time I keep my OUYA offline: please consider it before inserting a phone-home/always online DRM in your game. If you still plan to do so, please declare it. You don't want pirates, I don't want to be frauded.

http://ouyaforum.com/showthread.php?12041-The-list-of-offline-working-games

OUYA Developer

1 members found this post helpful.
    also the install .apk files remain on the console until you next shut down the console. What this means is if you've downloaded a lot of games in 1 session then you have a lot of installer files sat there clogging up space until you reboot.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffry84 View Post
    Thank you, Riot! Great to have a more precise way to predict if I can download an apk or not, or how much space do I have to free.
    Don't thank me. Thank the guy who gave me the information whom will remain anonymous

1 members found this post helpful.
    The end user really shouldn't really be expected to do the math (you know, in case OUYA is watching here). A simple "Installation requires: x MB/GB" would be better. If it's stating double the file size, it might even make the game seem like it's downloading twice as fast.
    Last edited by arcticdog; 05-19-2014 at 10:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by arcticdog View Post
    The end user really shouldn't really be expected to do the math (you know, in case OUYA is watching here). A simple "Installation requires: x MB/GB" would be better. If it's stating double the file size, it might even make the game seem like it's downloading twice as fast.
    Perhaps in the next update but I see problems coming from such a feature being implemented regardless.

While I think *2+512 is easy to keep in mind I do agree that we shouldn't have to do the math. If we pitch this to OUYA I'm sure they will incorporate it in a future update but what should we do in the meantime? Write an OUYA app with the single function of adding *2+512 to the megabytes of the game? Dance viciously around a camp fire? Do some fine dining?

Quote Originally Posted by Starfighter View Post
    pitch this to OUYA I'm sure they will incorporate it in a future update
    *Sigh* Off I go...

It's not that hard to double and add half a gig, I guess. I was unaware of the installers hanging around, and it just dawned on me that I can't remember ever turning my Ouya off. Something for my todo list.

Quote Originally Posted by trizznilla View Post
    It's not that hard to double and add half a gig, I guess. I was unaware of the installers hanging around, and it just dawned on me that I can't remember ever turning my Ouya off. Something for my todo list.
    No, it's far from hard but that's not the point. The point in the reason why some members think it should be added is the same reason why the thread was created in the first place which was because people like myself were (and still are) unaware of the real size and requirements to downloads game. I had no idea what the hell was going on with The Cave when I was trying to download it to my internal space as I thought I had plenty of space but it turned out to be false because of the requirement of downloading such a title. I chose not to download it to my external because the device is getting old and I know it can't stay alive for much longer. All that needs to happen is to clear up the vagueness surrounding the issue and we're all good.