Close
Advertise Here
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

1 members found this post helpful.

JNKBombers - Testers Required - Apply Within

JNKBombers isn't finished yet, and in fact of all the things I'm planning to add, I've barely scratched the surface, but the game is at least in a "mostly" playable state, in that you can start a game, play a few rounds, die a bunch of times, and then have it unceremoniously throw you back to the main menu again!

Although I can battle with most of the game's many issues myself, there's one thing I've not yet had time to test properly, and that's additional controllers.
    So far, I'm 100% relying on a single controller to do all of my work, so whether or not this actually works properly with multiple players remains to be seen.

If you have a spare 5/10 minutes and would like to help me out, here's how to do it.

First, head to "Jayenkai's OUYA Testbed", where you can download the most-recent version that I've created.
    Download it to your OUYA and get it installed, you can then find it at the far end of your Play menu. It's a big picture of a Monkey, and it's called "Monkey Game"!!
    (The game currently doesn't have a proper name, or an icon, or anything, and is still using default Monkey settings.. This is so that all my test games overwrite each other, and I don't end up with a sprawling chaotic Play menu full of incomplete oddities!!)

Open the game, and you'll find my overly generic titlescreen in it's experimental rainbow-enduced style.
    This menu will eventually have the "Battle Mode" icon.. There's currently an Easy/Normal/Hard set of options, but these are entirely unused and all do exactly the same thing, which is lead you to Battle Mode!

Once you're in the Battle Menu, you should be able to hit O/A on another controller to bring that player up at the top of the screen. Hit U to remove the player. Left and right selects the character.

Play about with different controllers, and feel free to add/remove players at random, just to see if the menu doesn't inexplicably break at some point!

If you want to actually play the thing (which.. of course you do!!) you can use "Initial Player" (Whoever hit the button on the Main Menu) to navigate the battle menu. I need to make selected things much more apparent, but otherwise the menu more or less works.

Battle Menu
    Wins Needed works, and unceremoniously dumps you back to the main menu once a player reaches that number of wins.
    Round Timer isn't implemented yet. Need to decide on a nice interesting way to end a match other than going "TIME UP!!"
    Arena Size works as expected. "Epic" is a little hard to see unless you've a really big telly!
    Arena Grid works, and turns on/off the solid blocks throughout the level.
    Shop doesn't work. I ain't dun that yet!!
    Items doesn't work, as I've only currently got the simplest of items in the game.
    CPU Players does work, and lets you select from a simple range of enemies. Note that if you select none, and only have one player, it automatically adds a single enemy to play against, because otherwise it would be silly!

Important Bit
    After that, choose start, and the game oughta work as expected, with different controllers working the correct players.
    Run with DPad or Left stick, and drop bombs with your main button.

The controller code is the main reason for this test.. So be sure to reply below, and tell me if your controllers did indeed work.
    Include what controller's you've tested with, how many controllers are connected, how many player's did/didn't work, and any other info you might think useful/interesting.
    I'm fairly sure it should work properly, but I've been too busy getting everything else working that I've not got around to playing "Connect the random USB devices" to test it!

Broken Stuff
    The "Round" counter doesn't reset, pause doesn't quite pause everything, the coins are currently useless, the AI's still not much good, and there's a multitude of things that I've yet to add into the game. I'm sure if you take your time, you'll find loads more quirky bits and pieces around the thing, too!

If you spot anything really bizarre, let me know, as I might've missed it or forgotten about it!!

Thanks all. Enjoy the test! More to come.

OUYA Developer

hey there James. Game works fine with up to 4 players and 1 bot from what I've tested so far. 2 Ouya controllers at the same time along with Logitech Dual Action USB pad and wired 360 pad (via powered 7 port usb hub) all work fine in the same round. Like you said above, pause is a bit broken but no controller issues to report here.

I'm really excited to try this out! You'll be working on this for more than a week or two, right? It appears your putting a lot more thought and effort into this one, it's very exciting! I've always loved your games, this should be interesting.
    Last edited by timekillergames; 05-18-2014 at 01:34 PM.

Yes I will try this too today and will report if bug or something came up! I love your all games for OUYA so much!

EDIT:
    I PLAYED ON EASY!

1 Bot got stuck until I bomb him! (that blue one!)

These are settings that I use

Second bug: Same as first one but now I got killed first and every bot got stuck

Bug
    Settings

Yeah, the AI's still twitchy. It's being poked and prodded in the background as I add more features, but it's far from perfect.. .. Still, not bad for a couple of weeks

I'm more interested in the actual multiplayer stuff, and whether it's working for everyone and their controllers. So far so good, I think!

I was wondering why I'd not seen a Jayenkai game in a while. Honestly I thought it'd be the next "Year of Platdude" entry since we'd not gotten one for May yet.

I'll give this a go when I get home, maybe.
    http://www.ccshgames.com - Updated 1/10/2016
    PC & Mac games - Updated more frequently
    OUYA games I've had a hand in: Slashers: The Power Battle (voice actor), Battle High 2 (casting/marketing director, voice actor), Astra Etherium (voice actor)
    OUYA games published: Shady's Poopong: 22nd Anniversary Edition, Chomperman

Yeah, I've not done a "Platdude in", yet, this month.. But, no, it won't be this one. This one's got too many characters to be just a "Platdude in" game.
    Not a clue what that game's going to be, though!

Did I suggest "Plat to the Future" yet? XD
    Then again, that's not a "Platdude in..." game.

Anyway, just from the screens so far this looks enjoyable. I've always liked Bomberman and I feel it's one of the less-cloned games out of all the oft-cloned classics, so at least it's unique-ish. Especially on OUYA, at least.
    http://www.ccshgames.com - Updated 1/10/2016
    PC & Mac games - Updated more frequently
    OUYA games I've had a hand in: Slashers: The Power Battle (voice actor), Battle High 2 (casting/marketing director, voice actor), Astra Etherium (voice actor)
    OUYA games published: Shady's Poopong: 22nd Anniversary Edition, Chomperman

Banned

d-pad doesn't register with my logitech dual shock usb controller but the joystick and other buttons work. Also on my phillips usb controller it all works.

I'm guessing your logitech works the same way as my X360 pad. I swear my controller code used to work with that DPad just fine! Not sure what they changed, or who did it, (whether it's the language I'm using, or the controller drivers, or what) but it seems to have killed the dpad support. Since the analogue stick still works, I'm not too worried about it. Annoying, but passable!